The PowerPoint rant that got a colonel fired

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
panthersix
Ranger

Re: The PowerPoint rant that got a colonel fired

Post by panthersix »

FUCK Him! I was looking at Major in the NC ARNG and it was nothing but a dick sucking position on staff doing powerpoints and writing op ords for retards that didn't even have a BA degree.

So I voted with my feet, resigned my commission and enlisted in the Air Guard for TACP....then the plan went to shit after I got a desk dropped on my foot on a furniture moving detail...but never the less, my point still stands....

Take the fucking brass off and ruck the fuck up if you're ass is so sore!
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Dan B 3/75
Ranger

Post by Dan B 3/75 »

So I voted with my feet
Best way to do it imo.

The rest of my comments would be more appropriate in the MOJO........
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

C-MAC wrote: So without being disrespectful to the rank I would simply say why think about yourself before the men? Why take the time to write a rant, when perhaps you could have used that time to come up with new ideas to change the process, the battle, tactics or the well-being of those underneath you?
I agree...to a point. The statement as written above sounds great and it would be. IF improvements could actually be made in a staff at that high a level. The rant to me was funny and truthful and if this cat wants to kill his career this way because he's sick and tired of seeing crap that no matter what he does will never change that's his call. I vote we call it "Doing a McChrystal" or "The McChrystal Maneuver".

Oh and before the obligatory "WTF do you know about working on staffs at this level." I have worked on Staff in Ops and/or Training at BN, BDE, DIV and I am currently working as a civilian on a Corps Staff. The GIF (Good Idea Fairie) walks the halls of this place but he only seems to whisper in the ears of senior Field Grades and GO's.

Most of the decisions made are either for some GO's comfort or in his name (when really he doesn't give a fuck) or thay are designed to make a Staff Officer look like he's doing something to justify a block on his OER.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

rangertough wrote: I vote we call it "Doing a McChrystal" or "The McChrystal Maneuver".

Tough
Concure.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

K.Ingraham wrote:Sure, this colonel called it exactly right, but as Lefty pointed out, this is 'how it is' and always has been, the technology only alters the appearance, not the substance. Might as well bitch about everything being painted green.

I wonder how long before he released that that this man knew that he isn't going to make brigadier?
Yep. tried that one. didn't go over so well.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
DangerClose
Ranger

Post by DangerClose »

Looks like there is a follow-up with him now...

http://www.militarytimes.com/news/2010/ ... h-092010w/
When he and the supervisor finally spoke to him about his concerns, the supervisor told Sellin that it was “clear that I was unhappy and that I should go home.”
Classic.
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

According to the Army Times report, he was a reserve officer who had permanent work for a defense contrator overseas. I want to say Belgium but I don't have the article in front of me. Whatever, to paraphrase what I read, he stated that he was activated for an important job. But when he got to the job, he realized the job was to arrange and modify presnetations to fit the commanders perception of the battlefield. He further stated that in his opinion, the presentations were meant to give the commanders the ground truth for them to make decisons. They were not meant to be altered to fit the commanders perception. That was the main basis of his rant, the misutilization of himself (and others I guess) and giving the commander what he wanted to hear, not the truth. At least that's what I got from the article.

As for him doing this as an O-6, maybe he felt that he was finally at that rank where he could actually influence/change something. Guess he was wrong. But we've all heard the speech: If you don't like what's going, make Sergeant Major and you can change stuff. That right there could lead me to designing my own website on the subject but whatever.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

When not on active duty, Sellin lives in Finland and does defense contracting work involving C4ISR technology — command, control, communications, computing, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance. He has a doctoral degree in biophysics and Army branch qualifications in infantry, Special Forces and medical services.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

Flesh Thorn wrote:
When not on active duty, Sellin lives in Finland and does defense contracting work involving C4ISR technology — command, control, communications, computing, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance. He has a doctoral degree in biophysics and Army branch qualifications in infantry, Special Forces and medical services.
That's the one. Dude's got a 15 pound brain.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA

Return to “The News Dump”