Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

scott843
Embryo

Introduction

Post by scott843 »

My name is Scott. I'm 27 and currently in college trying to get 15 credit hours because i have a GED and i want to enlist into the army and become a RANGER. I have spent half of my life dreaming about this and making plenty of mistakes along the way. Now I am just doing what I feel needs to be done. I want to be a Ranger so bad I can taste it. I feel like I have never wanted anything more in my life. I'm Excited, anxious, a little nervous but deep down i know that when it's crunch time, I can get into a "zone" and do whatever it takes to get myself where i need to be.

I came across this site by accident but so far it has been very informative and helpful.. I was wondering if any one has any tips for basic, or any tips at all actually for army life in general. I am married I have 2 wonderful children. I have heard people say that the ranger life isn't one that a family man needs to follow, but i shrug it off. I am after all following my heart on this one and i have the full support of my wife in this decision.

I have one semester of college left before i meet the required 15 credit hours. and i am busting ass and doing the best i can while counting down the days. I have quit smoking and started getting myself in shape, both physically and mentally. I am not naive. I know what I am trying to do is dangerous and potentially deadly. I know thatt many a good man has fallen. I know that I could very well be signing myself up for hell. But at the same time i feel ready and welcome it...through all the stresses of life marriage, fatherhood and civilian life in general i feel a calm when i think about going out on a field of battle and fighting for my country.

Any insight would be helpful...any help would be appreciated

Scott
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Re: Introduction

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

Welcome and thank you for your interest in serving. Take some time to view the topics available to you, use the search feature as many of your questions have already been answered.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
gillieman03
Embryo

Post by gillieman03 »

Have you taken the ASVAB or talked to a recruiter at all?
scott843
Embryo

Post by scott843 »

I have talked to a recruiter...i was also told that there wasn't really anything that could be done on paper until i get my 15 credit hours from college...so the answer to your ASVAB question is no... I do know that i will do fairly well on the ASVAB ...on top of my college studies I have been doing some extra work on ASVAB Practice tests
gillieman03
Embryo

Post by gillieman03 »

Well I am NOT a Ranger by no means so I going to refrain from giving any advice here but I will tell you how my enlistment process went for me. I basically just did it on a whim, my uncle was a Ranger and one day he just challenged me to join the Army and to become a Ranger so I did. Now I don't know about the whole college credit hours situation because I took my ASVAB without having any of my college transcripts sent in and even then I went to MEPS still no transcripts (because they were coming in the mail at that time) or any documentation showing any college credits; although there is some required info you need in before going to MEPS... Keep at the studying for the ASVAB it can only serve to help you (ASVAB for dummies is a good one). But honestly do what you can to sign up quick as jobs are going FAST. I started the enlistment process with 5 available slots for 13F and when it came time to choose my MOS their was only 2 slots left, and I waited a few weeks before I had a chance to choose my MOS. I made the mistake of not researching on these's forums about an option 40 contract, and make sure you talk to your recruiter about an Option 40. Besides that my college experience didn't really help me much on the ASVAB; all highschool shit that you learned way way back, but it did help a little on my Word Knowledge, Paragraph Compensation and Mechanical Compensation. What MOS did you have in mind??
Elguapo
Ranger

Post by Elguapo »

gillieman03 wrote:Well I am NOT a Ranger by no means so I going to refrain from giving any advice here...
You should have stopped here. You're not qualified to tell the guy just how to get what he wants. Quit posting and start reading.

Scott, as for you, keep up the good work. Finish up your schooling, and if you feel you need to, keep using the ASVAB practice books. Read up on this site, as it has a wealth of great information on it, from men that have stood in the same shoes you're standing in today, but have accomplished it all. And PT your balls off. You'll need it.
USAR 04-05
TXARNG 05-Present

OEF 08-09
HOA '12

RS 5-10
Ndog275
Ranger

Post by Ndog275 »

gillieman03 wrote:Well I am NOT a Ranger
...enough said. Go back to your lane and do not deviate. Dude are you serious about wanting to try out, because you're failing on the internet, I shudder to think what you're like in real life.
A 1/75 93-97
B&HHC 2/75 97-99
RS 3,4&5-95

This mighty soldier on the eve of the war he waged
Told his troops of lessons learned from battles fought.
"May your heart grow bolder like an iron-clad brigade"
Said this leader to his outnumbered lot.

www.75thrra.com
www.tacticaltailor.com
scott843
Embryo

Post by scott843 »

I have researched the site and found some very useful information...such as the bit about MEPS and not having to sit there if they don't give me what I want, as well as Leathernecks Posts On Initiative and Integrity...As far as PT Im on it everyday...Having just quit smoking I am finding that I have a ton of Stamina that I've never really used before and hot damn I can run again without feeling like my chest is gonna pop open...Around my block twice is 2 miles and I'm hitting my front door at almost 15min
Still workin on it though...I think I can shave some time off of that easy... Push ups, all day everyday, Gator walks up and down my front steps, and plenty of sit-ups. I know that I will have to be strong both physically and mentally...Well I'm good mentally, Workin on physical...now I just need to get through one more semester of college. I get more and more excited with every passing day...I know I'm signing myself up for hell but I feel pretty damn good about it...I know that every day is a new challenge and all I do Is look at, or think about my son and the legacy that I want to leave behind for him and its enough to push me that extra mile...

Does anyone have anything to say that isn't directed at gillieman03?
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

scott843 wrote:I have researched the site and found some very useful information...such as the bit about MEPS and not having to sit there if they don't give me what I want, as well as Leathernecks Posts On Initiative and Integrity...As far as PT Im on it everyday...Having just quit smoking I am finding that I have a ton of Stamina that I've never really used before and hot damn I can run again without feeling like my chest is gonna pop open...Around my block twice is 2 miles and I'm hitting my front door at almost 15min
Still workin on it though...I think I can shave some time off of that easy... Push ups, all day everyday, Gator walks up and down my front steps, and plenty of sit-ups. I know that I will have to be strong both physically and mentally...Well I'm good mentally, Workin on physical...now I just need to get through one more semester of college. I get more and more excited with every passing day...I know I'm signing myself up for hell but I feel pretty damn good about it...I know that every day is a new challenge and all I do Is look at, or think about my son and the legacy that I want to leave behind for him and its enough to push me that extra mile...

Does anyone have anything to say that isn't directed at gillieman03?
Welcome scott843.

I am sending you a PM containing our sites ROE, Read & heed young man.

& of gillieman03 you ask scott843, you do not want the negative attention he is getting.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
scott843
Embryo

Post by scott843 »

Wow!! I'm appalled...so basically no one but gillie had any info and the rest of you are pretty much violating the drama free bullcrap posted in the FAQ...so really all i see is one helpful individual and a bunch of guys talking shit and acting like women...I have decided I probably don't need any of your help any way due to the fact I don't normally take help from those less mature than me...so thanks gent...and ladies ...well for nothing really...thank you gillieman...you tried to help, which is more than i can say for the rest of these clowns... I will make Ranger and i will do so on my own...I have come to realize that experience will be the best teacher and trying to find answers on some crap website is probably one of the most foolish things I have ever done...I PT my ass off, I work hard for my family, I'm smart, and I will lead my own way!!! thanks to anyone who reads this and understands...before I get banned for it...

to any DEP or persons thinking about enlisting and/or becoming a ranger I will tell you this, train hard, fight hard, and don't look for easy answers. cause all you'll find is a bunch of whiny guys bitching about this, that, or the other. Pave your own way. Make yourself proud, follow your own heart, and don't worry about what others think of you, because if your serious...then nothing will be able to stop you...
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

Well Scott, no one really cares if you’re appalled. You found this site of your own accord and you can leave it just the same. You’re attitude has also pretty much guaranteed that any help you hoped to get will not happen. As for gillieman, he’s has so little self control that he gets blunted right before going to MEPS. He’s also less than honest and pretty much a total shitbag. So if you don’t like how you’re being treated you can leave. Simple as that.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Well Scott, fortunately for you, Rangers go on solo james bond missions, so your "do it yourself" attitude will fit right in. Your just the man Regiment is looking for!
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
scott843
Embryo

Post by scott843 »

Thanks for proving my point Holmchicken...see what i did in that post up there was state facts...no one but gillie offered any advice what-so-ever...and now your just adding more to the nonsense and creating more drama...no one treated me any kind of way...I could care less what you guys think of me...I did come here of my own volition and I am serious about being a ranger, it just seemed like most of the posts on here are negative and unfortunately all I've gotten from here is this : is its ok to be an asshole as long as your a soldier...please tell me if thats not the point your trying to get across but you'll damn sure have a hard time proving it... and as far as help goes, lets try this... Instead of continuing to fuel this "fire" I will back off(for now) and ask one question...Anybody with sound, good advice and experience should answer...

If you could impart One thing from Ranger Training, whether it be physical, mental, or anything else...What would it be?
gillieman03
Embryo

Post by gillieman03 »

The Holmchicken wrote: So if you don’t like how you’re being treated you can leave. Simple as that.
Ranger Holmchicken

For someone who says attention to detail is a must to get into a Ranger battalion your not very good at it yourself... At no point did he say he didn't like the way he was being treated. In fact in that thread there was no one showing any disrespect to him. So it wasn't a matter of him not liking the way he got treated but was the fact that no one decided to give him any HELPFUL advice or any advice whatsoever; which is one of the main purposes for this site. Only thing you guys seem interested in was bashing me and calling me a shit bag... which I'm perfectly fine with, I've gotten enough shit thrown at me in my life, I have family who was in the military you don't think I've heard it all from them? I've gotten my dick knocked in the dirty, told i was a piece of shit, you think words like that have ANY affect on me whatsoever? Not a DAMN bit "BRO." In fact it just puts a smile on my face and makes me work even harder. I already have the mindset for what I want, had the mind set for years, and no one can take that away from me; not even a clown with all the time in the world to sit on a computer and try and make himself feel better by ATTEMPTING to bash someone and telling them how big a piece of shit they are and COMPLETELY failing. I laugh at you. I get it tho, your a Ranger you have earned the right to call anyone a piece of shit or a douche bag because your something that their not. But shit if someone comes on this site like scott, and you don't have a damn thing to say to him or give any sound advice to someone WILLING to serve their country then in my book that makes you just as big of a shit bag as anyone. Don't bother replying because I already have a pretty good idea of what you or anyone will say; like I said before, I've heard it all. You don't want to waist your precious little time on a shit bag DEP like me when its not even going to give a damn but probably make you feel just a slight bit better than you were.. but then you realize that you actually spent the time to reply to something so meaningless that now you just waisted a minute of your life. So I guess I should thank you for motivating me even more... I guess you really aren't as big of shit bag as anyone else.

Return to “Introduction Archive”