Introduction: Joe

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Valdor
Embryo

Introduction: Joe

Post by Valdor »

Greetings Rangers,

It is an honor to be among you, who have given everything in service to our country. My name is Joe, I am the son of a Police Officer, and the grandson of two Grandfathers who have served. My father's father served in the Army in World War II, and my mother's father served in the Air Force in the Korean War. I have been given a great life, and I hope to pay back some of what I owe. I am 21, and have taken three years of college. I had initially planned to go straight from college into the F.B.I. as a Homicide Detective, but I have decided that joining the Army is a way I could serve my country, pay for my school, and get the three years work experience (I checked with my Special Agent Recruiter. Army Rangers is more than enough to qualify me) required to join the F.B.I. all at once. I am scheduled to take my ASVAB on Tuesday.

My family has all been blessed, with my two sister's and I given the opportunity to all go to college (which we have taken advantage of). I am the youngest, and they have both found great jobs and started families already. It was a big decision for me to join the Military, since my parents had "Both worked hard so that none of us would need to." While I respect their wishes for me, this is something I need to do. They both support me in this, despite not liking my decision.

I have only just begun to pour over all the information here and on other sites and the negotiations with the recruiter, but I hope to one day be part of the Army Rangers. I look forward to reading the valuable information on this site and her forums, and most importantly the advice of the Ranger's and other Veteran's who call her home.
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Re: Introduction: Joe

Post by Ranger Bill »

Welcome and thanks for your desire to serve our country as an Army Ranger. Keep us posted on progress with your recruiter. Be sure to read and heed the ROE PM I have sent you.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Joe, a man has only one opportunity to make a favorable initial impression. So far, you are doing just fine. If you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. Please self-administer a PT test and post the results on this thread not later than midnight, Sunday, 17 January 2010. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Valdor
Embryo

Post by Valdor »

EDIT: To avoid a double post, I'm putting this here. I just got home from my ASVAB test. I am more than happy to report I got a 97!

Ranger Bill,
Thank you for the kind welcome. I have read and will follow the ROE, and I will let you know how things go with the recruiter.

Ranger Jim,
Thanks for the welcome, I have completed the PT self-test this morning. I have just turned 21 within the past week, and I am 5' 10"ish at 160 pounds. Here are my results:

Push Ups: 52
Sit Ups: 58
Two Mile Run: 16:52

I have a bit of a way to go; Particularly in the running category. Starting tonight I am going to perform the APFT improvement program as outlined by Ranger Silverback. I have alot of spare time as well. I only work a 30 hour week, and other than occasionaly watching my nephew for my eldest sister, I have no other commitments. Should I do more than the APFT improvement program, or should that be it?
Valdor
Embryo

Post by Valdor »

Bad News Rangers.

On my PULHES, I recieved a 3 in the eyes section. I had sincerely hoped they would be a 2, but my eyes have continued to degrade since High School in 2007. I am currently looking to see if I can recieve any type of corrective eye surgery, but my eye doctor I have seen my entire life is against it. I quote: "Any doctor worth anything will refuse to perform eye surgery on a patient who has history of eye degredation in the past four years." As far as I know, there isn't a decent chance in hell that I will even get Airborne with a 3 in E; not that I am not fighting for it.

I am trying to consider all of my options, Rangers, and I would like advice if anyone has any to offer.
snafu
Ranger

Post by snafu »

You still need experience, and if you still have the desire to serve, then go for it. Maybe you won't get Airborne, but you'll still be serving your Country.
RSD, HHC 75th RHQ Dec 04-Oct 07
RCC, RSTB 75th Rgr Rgt. Oct 07-Feb 09
1/3 SFG (A) SigDet, Dec 09-May 12
RS 02-06

team 3 best team.
Valdor
Embryo

Post by Valdor »

Thank you Ranger Snafu, I will sign up anyway if I cannot get this all worked out, but I found out some good news.

Your personal eye-doctor can override the MEPS station's eye section, since the MEPS is considered "low quality equipment". I have a new appointment with my doctor to see if I can get the paper my recruiter gave me signed, if you are really close, you can probably get your doctor to do it too.

Hopefully if someone else is in a similar situation, they catch this.
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

Welcome. Keep working on it never never quit.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

1. You need to work on your PT. Obviously!
2. I've worn corrective lenses all my life. As you have learned your eye doctor can help you get by.
3. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “Introduction Archive”