Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

blindside622
Future Soldier

Introduction

Post by blindside622 »

Hello, my name is Adrian. I am 22 years old living in atlanta. I have a highschool diploma with 23 college credits. I have been working full time for an electrical contractor. We install traffic control devices and and cameras for the DOT. After i left college i had my heart set on the USMC but unfortunatley my fathers health obligated me to hold off. I decided to choose the U.S. Army as my branch of service about 3 months ago with my number one goal as becoming a Ranger. The roll of the Spec Ops in this world has been in the back of my head since i was old enough to run around the woods on my own. Rangers and other USSOCOM groups are the true backbone of this country. This country and our allies are forever indebted to you and your families' sacrifices. Thank you for standing up to the call when many wouldnt dare!
Now to my situation. I am in the DEP with 11x scheduled to ship to Fort Benning 20100414. I was not given any options in my contract due to the fact "there are no slots available." My AQFT and line scores are well above the requirement. I did not research enough before MEPS and fell into the used car salesman trap. I was so anxious I went with 4 year commitment with no options. I know my true calling and desire is for a shot at RASP. Do i need to Reno or request my DEP to be discharged until i get option 40? What are my chances of getting a shot at airborne and RASP right after OSUT? I apoligize for the length of this message but I need advise specific to my case in the hear and now.
Thank you for everyone's time and hard work.
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Re: Introduction

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

Welcome and thanks for your desire to serve.

Someone with more current knowledge than mine will respond to your questions.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
snafu
Ranger

Post by snafu »

Blindside,
I don't know percentage wise what your chances are...it's a gamble if you go in without a contract. There are opportunities to sign up for Airborne and RASP while in OSUT but it is not a guarantee--depends a lot on slots available, time of year, etc.... The Regiment has been making a lot of changes this last year (ie: RIP is now RASP, etc..) so they may be doing it differently and not taking volunteers without a contract.... However, the 75th does have an "airborne liason" located at jump school...you can talk to him if you get there and he can square you away if you qualify.

My advice is to renegotiate and go in with a contract...they want you in the Army so they'll work with you...virtually everyone is told they can't get one right off the bat. Then magically an option 40 opens up once they think you're going to walk...

welcome and good luck. DON'T QUIT!
RSD, HHC 75th RHQ Dec 04-Oct 07
RCC, RSTB 75th Rgr Rgt. Oct 07-Feb 09
1/3 SFG (A) SigDet, Dec 09-May 12
RS 02-06

team 3 best team.
blindside622
Future Soldier

Post by blindside622 »

Thankyou Ranger Wolfhound and Ranger Snafu. My dad uses the term snafu on occasion. He is a former Navy fighter pilot. I am scheduled to go back to meps in a few days so i am praying atleast an airborne slot will open up. Thanks again Rangers. I hope i didnt piss anyone off by posting two intros. I wasnt sure if my first one went through or not because of the length, so impatiently i wrote a second. I look like and idiot haha.
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Welcome and congratulations for enlisting on the one hand, and on the other hand, you let yourself get talked into something less than what you wanted. Definitely re-no your contract. There is nothing to lose. Others who have visited this site have been successful in doing so.

As I recall, you can back out of your contract altogether before you ship, doing so bars you from enlisting again for at least one year. If I wrong about this, others may come along and correct me. If you do it in the right way, you may be able to use this as a bargaining tool to re-no. Just be sure to be respectul when you talk to your recruiter about it and give him good solid reasons. Do it in person.

Also read and heed the ROE PM I have sent you.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group

Return to “Introduction Archive”