Body Weight

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
swarm726
Embryo

Body Weight

Post by swarm726 »

Rangers, I have a question regarding body weight correlating with RASP and staying in a Battalion. I am currently 6'2 and 210 lbs. and average in the 290's for my APFT. Would weighing 200 plus lbs. be an issue concerning ruck marches and having day after day endurance through RASP?
colt1rgr
Ranger

Re: Body Weight

Post by colt1rgr »

If it did I would have been a dead man, since entire time I was in BN I was 6'1" 220. Those who knew me back in the day know I could roadmarch a camel into the desert floor. AT 45 I can still step it out pretty good. Its what's in your heart, you'll be fine!
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
swarm726
Embryo

Post by swarm726 »

Roger that Ranger colt1rgr, any personal tips for knocking out road marches as a bigger guy?
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

Yep! Don't "over do it". Train for endurance, long, slow runs coupled with short fast runs in between. Road march once or twice a week at the most. Consistency is the answer. When I first hit RIP and BN it kicked me in the 4th point of contact but I didn't quit, before long I was walking folks into the deck. Condition your feet NOW, it will pay off LATER!
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

My perspective is to focus on running distance and only ruck with with weightwhen you have to. Build your strength and endurance without injuring yourself. And then when you have to, you will be able to. But I'm only 60, smoke cigars and drink, and can still max the PT test, so what the hell do I know?
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
swarm726
Embryo

Post by swarm726 »

Roger that Ranger Bill & Ranger colt1rgr, the professional advice is very much appreciated I will capitalize on your tips and keep working my ass off.
dbmtrman
Ranger

Post by dbmtrman »

Road Marching is nearly all mental. You just have to find your 'happy' place, and don't stop. Although getting blisters on a 27 miler really sucks. So get your feet conditioned, as has been said by previously stated by other posters.
RLTW!
RS 4/85
B Co. 1/75 84-86, HAAF
HQ 11 SFG (USAR) 86-87

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel
swarm726
Embryo

Post by swarm726 »

Ranger dbmtrman, would just doing road marches be enough to condition my feet or are their other ways?
dbmtrman
Ranger

Post by dbmtrman »

swarm726 wrote:Ranger dbmtrman, would just doing road marches be enough to condition my feet or are their other ways?
Breaking in your boots and changing socks on every break, is a big part of it. Nearly everytime we had a long road march there would be guys whose feet looked like raw meat. Once you get to that point when you have a hot spot, need to be careful, once the blisters start, it can get bad fast. My roommate in Batt was training for Selection and he used to inject his blisters with toughskin. I've been out for a long time, so not sure if they still use that stuff. Of course the boots we were issued back then, sucked. Footwear is much better these days.
RLTW!
RS 4/85
B Co. 1/75 84-86, HAAF
HQ 11 SFG (USAR) 86-87

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel
swarm726
Embryo

Post by swarm726 »

Thanks Ranger dbmtrman, I appreciate it.

Return to “About Army Physical Training”