Legal problems

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
jrw2692
Embryo

Legal problems

Post by jrw2692 »

We'll it being summer after graduation it would be an understatement to say that there is an excess of partying going on. I live in an area with very little crime so our police departments mainly on the look out for underage drinking. I just got my third minor in posession of alcohol. I know from the outside that it looks like I have a major problem. It must seem like I havent learned from my mistakes, which up until now I really havent. I wanted to have as much fun with my friends before we all go our seperate ways. There is no excuse for my mistakes and I take full responsibility for what I got myself into, but I can honestly say I am not an alcoholic. On the rare occasions that I decide to drink, I either am sleeping at someones house or I have a sober driver. Again, I'm not making excuses. I'm prepared for the consequences I'm going to recieve, but my main worry is about how it will affect me joining the army. There will be no jail time but there will be probation, community service, and I'm enrolled in an alcohol awareness class with random breathalyzers. My recruiter is checking on whether or not it's possible to join while on probation but I haven't heard back from him. Does anyone have any prior experience or know if it is possible to enlist while on probation? Will I have to wait until I am off or can I still ship out while on probation? Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, feel free to flame away for my ignorant mistakes.
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

You cannot depart for the service while you are on probation. Last I heard.
RGR_Dan
Ranger

legal issues

Post by RGR_Dan »

Sounds like self discipline issue to me
95-98 Aco. 3/75 2nd plt Weapons Sqd
98-01Hco 121st LRS
Former LEO
Former Contractor
LEO (round 2)
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Your juvy probation officer can be your best friend. Tell them about your intentions of enlisting and see what they say. They can pull strings and square your records away. :wink: :wink: :wink:
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

Not like the old uh! Judge says "Son you can go to jail or go in the service. It is up to you!" :D
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

you can enlist and ship on UNSUPERVISED probation. underage drinking usually results in this. don't understand why your's is different. just some insight to present to your juvy guy.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
jrw2692
Embryo

Post by jrw2692 »

I'm not being charged as a juvenile so my probation won't be juvenile probation. My probation officer who I have already spoke with said it will most likely not be unsupervised. My recruiter called while I was at the shooting range today so I'm calling back tomorrow (they're closed now) and talking to him. I haven't officially been sentenced yet so I'm not yet on probation so I'm going to try to get a contract before this happens to avoid any difficulty.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

ok so your not being charged as a juvenile. same rules apply. tell you recruiter to read the changes to AR 601-210 dated 10JAN02.

LOOK UNDER UNSUPERVISED PROBATION.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Ranger2

Post by Ranger2 »

I had one MIP with alcohol when I was 19. It has followed me forever. It will prevent you from getting a top secret clearance. You can get a secret clearance but not top secret. That is only with one. So I would bet you are fucked. It has come up at the worst times even though mine was only a ticket. I could have it taken off my record but then you have to go through that process which takes a lawyer. Stupid mistake on my part but at least I only had one.

Ranger2
Montgomery Burns
Embryo

Post by Montgomery Burns »

Ranger2 wrote:I had one MIP with alcohol when I was 19. It has followed me forever. It will prevent you from getting a top secret clearance. You can get a secret clearance but not top secret. That is only with one. So I would bet you are fucked. It has come up at the worst times even though mine was only a ticket. I could have it taken off my record but then you have to go through that process which takes a lawyer. Stupid mistake on my part but at least I only had one.

Ranger2
Just going off of what my recruiter told me is that even if you get somthing taken off of your record it is still there as a charge. In my case its was over a possesion waiver wich I went back to the judge and he reopened my case and had the charge differed off of my record. My recruiter said he still had to do a waiver for this. I don't know how this effects security clearences though.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

it affects security clearances in some cases not all. his biggest problem is that he has 3 counts of this.

it looks to the Army like he didn't learn his lesson.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
VAK
USAF Veteran

Post by VAK »

hit_it wrote:it affects security clearances in some cases not all. his biggest problem is that he has 3 counts of this.

it looks to the Army like he didn't learn his lesson.
It sounds like he hasn't learned his lesson... By the way, that lame ass post as "I take full responsibilty..." would have worked the first time and possibly the second. In this entire thread there's been no accountability, no acceptance of a problem, just looking for ways to skirt it so that you can move on to the next area of endeavor. What's going to happen there? As I can tell you with no variance the MP's will take it just as/if not more serious that the civilian courts.

Once and maybe even twice I would say you know damn, this kid was in the wrong place at the wrong time.... Three times before your 21, you've got some bigger issue's then when you ship. You need to address them hard and fast or the fact that when you ship may just smack you dead in the ass... Or it may smack those around you in the ass. The big picture to me is find in you the accountability to accept that it's your bad not to PD's.... You knew when you were drinking that it was illegal. The first time, the second time and I would hope that it started to sink in the third time. That said, did it not dawn on you that you were potentially throwing your life away? See, I think if it did and you did it anyway, you either have a problem with the alcohol or some issue's with actually going. Or if it didn't and it just didn't dawn on you, then frankly, you're too ignorant to be in the Army and I don't want you watching the back of my Brother's...

Not wanting to be too harsh. Just harsh enough that you take a look in the mirror for more than astetic purposes.

Be Safe,
usaftacp
"Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
(Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe)

Mentor to those who would seek to be CAS God's

Return to “Recruitment Process”