Well, this sucks

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
NoRoadtrippin
Embryo

Re: Well, this sucks

Post by NoRoadtrippin »

Ranger KW Driver beat me to the punch by a post.

I went through the same thing you did..essentially...

Passed RAP, passed Darby, home on emergency leave for a funeral, ready to insert into mountains...during the wait at Vaughn's some ribs decide to act up. I go home.

But no, I definitely have something to show for it. And you should too. Each day of school taught me I was that much more capable of sucking and driving on in spite of it. Whether its PRC, or a single phase of RS there is plenty to be learned both about what you are capable of as well as just practical knowledge.

Just this past week my Soldiers got a lesson on SQD tactics that included the FOOM boards right out of Darby.

We'll both go back and get our shit. Personally, the physical piece of cloth is not the only (nor a guaranteed) indicator that you have something to show for having attended RS.
rehevam
Tadpole

Post by rehevam »

Ranger KW Driver, what you say is correct. With the benefit of some distance from the event now, I do see how much I learned at PRC and RS even though I had to go home early. It means a lot that I didn't quit when so many others did. It still stings that I failed in my mission. I still believe it is my duty as a leader to have that training.

BUT, I know that if healthy, I can do it. Right now I am focused on getting better so I can get back there and try again. Looks like I have surgery in my very near future, but I'll get this knocked out and see how I come out on the other side. Hopefully I'll eventually get clearance to get after it again.
rehevam
Tadpole

Post by rehevam »

Well, I got two more opinions, and it turned out to be a benign brain tumor. Had to have brain surgery in November to get it removed. I've got my skull pieced together with titanium plates now.

I started working out again in January. Still trying to get back into fighting shape. Right now I'm fighting the guard to get my dead man's profile removed and get back to a platoon. It's slow-going.

Not sure if I'll get another chance at RS - my state's broke. We can barely afford NCOES and MOSQ schools right now.

I can only take it one step at a time though. The 50 meter target is this frigging profile....
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

Good going so far, just stick with it and stay healthy.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
snafu
Ranger

Post by snafu »

There's an obvious glaring difference between those who quit Ranger School and those who are forced out for medical reasons. You have nothing to hang your head about and just as Ranger KWDriver noted, you learned a lot (even though you may not realize it, yet). 5 weeks of training at Ranger School is more than some Soldiers get in an enlistment.
RSD, HHC 75th RHQ Dec 04-Oct 07
RCC, RSTB 75th Rgr Rgt. Oct 07-Feb 09
1/3 SFG (A) SigDet, Dec 09-May 12
RS 02-06

team 3 best team.

Return to “Letters from School”