Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Glenn, MSG Ret.
US Army Veteran - Ranger Parent

Post by Glenn, MSG Ret. »

Don't sign anything without the option 40!

My son got lucky when he was in Infantry School & the Ranger recruiters asked for volunteers.

His recruiter knew he wanted Airborne and/or Rangers but never mentioned the option 40! At that time they wanted 19Ds & that's what they tried to give him until I talked to the recruiting 1SG. He at least got Infantry but still no mention of option 40.

If there's no way they give it to you then you just gotta wait until they do.
Things like that are not only seasonal but needs of the Army at that time.

You've set your goal now stick with it.
Former 2nd squad 3rd platoon A Co. 3/75 Dad
USNavy 1960-1966
USArmy 1980-2001
Retired MSG
hooahbell
Embryo

Thanks and corrections

Post by hooahbell »

Rangers, Thank you again for all of the advice.

I want to be a soldier so bad, the recruiter almost had me sign and hope he was telling the truth. I will tell him today I’m not joining unless I get my option40. I’m guessing since this week is the end of the Army fiscal year he had to make up some garbage like that? This doesn’t seem to be a singular fib though. I have read this waiver = no airborne other places. Is this SOP? Or is it just a line they commonly use to sign now?

Below I fixed most of the errors in my previous posts. I know, there is no excuse to have these errors and I do not want to appear ignorant…especially here. I was on my way to work on both occasions. (Still no excuse)

I really did do pushups for them and now I’m going for a run.

Hello Rangers,
I Re-passed everything at MEPs today...but I still need a waiver. Recruiter says that I will have a waiver next week, but he is still saying "if you need a waiver there is no way you could ever get Airborne or Ranger in the contract". He then told me "to sign an 11x and they will ask me in basic". I have read enough forums on military.com and here to know this is not true. What should I do?
(p.s. I already did pushups for my grammatical errors)

Ranger Abell9,
"Now I have a question. You actually pay someone to cut your hair like that?"
No sorry, I am also an amateur hair cutter.
I enjoyed looking like the Indian in the cupboard...but skinnier lol.
Hoover
Ranger

Post by Hoover »

Don't sign........and Welcome.
2/75 C Co. 81-84
Ranger Class 14-82
"Cry Havoc Let Slip The Dogs of War"
1st SPWAR Tng Bn (Abn) USAJFKSWCS 87'
RLTW !
Mentor to J.P. Deepwater
RIP Class 02-07
Ranger Class 09-07
hooahbell
Embryo

Update

Post by hooahbell »

Hello Rangers,

It has been a couple days and I'm sorry to say I have more questions. I was set to go to the Career counselor last friday but the recruiter and his 1SGT canceled my reservation. I told them I am 100 percent not signing without an option40. This made them very upset. They even found were it said in their "Army Standards SOP" handbook, waiver=no airborne.

I went in the recruiting station two weeks ago following my dream of becoming a Ranger, they said "no problem".

I went to MEPs and took the full physical over again.

My should injury got an approved waiver.

Now they are saying, "Ranger or Airborne contract is impossible. Settle for Cav Scout or 11x and you'll get your shot in basic".

I talked to a SF NG recruiter and he said it's bullshit. He even said I could get a SF pipeline contract in the NG if thats my desire.

I told my recruiter..."You guys are like used car salesman, I told you 2 weeks ago I wanted a red Corvette and you said no problem. Two weeks went by and all of the sudden you can not get me a red Corvette but want me to buy a brown Camry...I will not settle for anything but my red Corvette!"

I thought it was a bluff, but the recruiter is sticking to his guns. Is this SOP? Shoulder surgery = no airborne.

I'm so confused. I got the waiver and both Doctors said I'm 100 percent.

Thank you for your time Rangers.
Hoover
Ranger

Post by Hoover »

Stick to your guns ............don't sign until you get what you want.
2/75 C Co. 81-84
Ranger Class 14-82
"Cry Havoc Let Slip The Dogs of War"
1st SPWAR Tng Bn (Abn) USAJFKSWCS 87'
RLTW !
Mentor to J.P. Deepwater
RIP Class 02-07
Ranger Class 09-07
Glenn, MSG Ret.
US Army Veteran - Ranger Parent

Re: Update

Post by Glenn, MSG Ret. »

hooahbell wrote:I told my recruiter..."You guys are like used car salesman
Recruiters are not LIKE used car salesmenn They ARE used car salesmen.
Not all but most.

They just want you to sign on the dotted line & take your chances. Then their job is done.
Former 2nd squad 3rd platoon A Co. 3/75 Dad
USNavy 1960-1966
USArmy 1980-2001
Retired MSG
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

My standard advice: Give them two or three good ways to contact you. A couple of phone numbers and a good current email address. Get up, start walking away, tell them to contact you when they are ready to offer you an option40 contract in writing.
hooahbell
Embryo

Re: Introduction

Post by hooahbell »

Update

Hello Rangers,

It has been almost 2 years since my last post. I followed the consensus of the Rangers here and did not enlist without an option40 contract. I waited and waited and the recruiters stuck to their guns

"waiver = no airborne= no option40" I am about to be hired by the Sheriff's department but I figured I would try one more time to follow my dream of becoming an Army Ranger.

Today I went to the recruiter's office and asked if I could get a Ranger contract. He said the same thing. Is this just a Florida thing? Are certain areas rules and regs. different? Is there anything I can do to get my shot?

My shoulder is 100%. My physical is still good until late next month. I carry a list of goals with me everyday and at the very top is Become an Army Ranger. I want this more than anything in my life.

-thank you for your time
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

If they are not giving you the contract, what are you not telling us? There is alot more to this story I'm sure.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
hooahbell
Embryo

Post by hooahbell »

*Final Update

Today I destroyed my first PT test and started Army ROTC.

I'm not sure the reason but I could not get an option 40 when I tried to enlist on 3 separate occasions.

So, I decided this is what I want most if I cant get a guaranteed shot through enlisting.

(I turned down the Sheriff job because I know I need to do this or I will regret it)

I am going to work my butt off, be the best I can be and pray to GOD I can get infantry. Maybe one day I will complete my goal and serve in the Ranger bat. (after I am a promotable 1LT?)

Besides being a bad ass how are Ranger bat officers chosen?

-Thank you for all of your advice and time.

Return to “Introduction Archive”