LG McChrystal to take command of U.S. forces in Afghanistan

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
Rugger
Ranger

Re: LG McChrystal to take command of U.S. forces in Afghanistan

Post by Rugger »

Interesting article from the Washington Post. I like this paragraph about Road Marching, and I can verify it as true.

"McChrystal, a 1976 West Point graduate who regularly runs to and from work, is known for tackling assignments with intensity and exhaustive energy, according to military peers who know him well. As a young commander in the 1980s, he "was big into road marching in the Rangers -- he expanded it exponentially," said one officer."
A 3/75 86-88 Ranger Class 12-87
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Rugger wrote:Interesting article from the Washington Post. I like this paragraph about Road Marching, and I can verify it as true.

"McChrystal, a 1976 West Point graduate who regularly runs to and from work, is known for tackling assignments with intensity and exhaustive energy, according to military peers who know him well. As a young commander in the 1980s, he "was big into road marching in the Rangers -- he expanded it exponentially," said one officer."

He created the "Ranger Standard" 30-mile foot march!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

Silverback wrote:
Rugger wrote:Interesting article from the Washington Post. I like this paragraph about Road Marching, and I can verify it as true.

He created the "Ranger Standard" 30-mile foot march!
Ahhhh, the full day of fun
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

May 12, 2009
Commander’s Ouster Is Tied to Shift in Afghan War
By ELISABETH BUMILLER and THOM SHANKER
WASHINGTON — The top American commander in Afghanistan, Gen. David D. McKiernan, was forced out Monday in an abrupt shake-up intended to bring a more aggressive and innovative approach to a worsening seven-year war.
Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates announced the decision in terse comments at the Pentagon, saying that “fresh eyes were needed” and that “ a new approach was probably in our best interest.” When asked if the dismissal ended the general’s military career, Mr. Gates replied, “Probably.”
The move reflects a belief that the war in Afghanistan, waged against an increasingly strong Taliban and its supporters across a rugged, sprawling country, is growing ever more complex. Defense Department officials said General McKiernan, a respected career armor officer, had been removed primarily because he had brought too conventional an approach to the challenge.
He is to be replaced by Lt. Gen. Stanley A. McChrystal , a former commander of the Joint Special Operations Command. He served in Afghanistan as chief of staff of military operations in 2001 and 2002 and recently ran all commando operations in Iraq.

(All beyond 3 paragraphs deleted by Admin - No link included.)
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “The News Dump”