Somali hijackers attack an American ship

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
CatFish Driver
Ranger

Re: Somali hijackers attack an American ship

Post by CatFish Driver »

allmylife wrote:Im wondering if Obama will even give Special Operations forces permission to act on this. I think he would rather find a peaceful resolution against a bunch of pirates who have already went back on their word during the hostage trade and kept the captain. I just do not see the point in being humane about this and continuing this captains suffering when we could end this thing in minutes.
Well, this settles it. LINK
Ranger School Class 08-02

"Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice, moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
--Senator Barry Goldwater
johnjohnson1957
Ranger

Re: US captain held by pirates freed

Post by johnjohnson1957 »

Don't kow if it was just desperation or not but you've got to give the captain props for having the guts to jump overboard a second time thereby giving the Navy a clear field of fire.
Army AD medic: FAMC, 2/5 FA, 97 Gen Hosp, AFRC Berchtesgaden, 28 CSH; 1975-1980
Army Guard/Reserve: 1/410 Inf, 209 Med Clr Co, 12th SF: 1982-1988
USAF AD: 1988-2003; Retired
RS 10-81
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

CatFish Driver wrote:
allmylife wrote:Im wondering if Obama will even give Special Operations forces permission to act on this. I think he would rather find a peaceful resolution against a bunch of pirates who have already went back on their word during the hostage trade and kept the captain. I just do not see the point in being humane about this and continuing this captains suffering when we could end this thing in minutes.
Clear and precise decision making made easy by putting trust in the man on the ground. Good job BO.

I fucking love it
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

AP on the rescue-

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/piracy
The SEALS arrived on the scene by parachuting from their aircraft into the sea, and were picked up by the Bainbridge, a senior U.S. official said.
Sweet. 8)

I just hope they packed extra mousse- that saltwater can really fuck up a good cut and color.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Somali Pirate Standoff and Rescue Ended With Just Three Shots
Somali Pirates Are Vowing to Retaliate for the Deaths of Three Fellow Pirates at the Hands of U.S. Navy Snipers
By KIRIT RADIA and MARTHA RADDATZ
April 13, 2009
The light wasn't good as the murky evening darkness was descending on the Indian Ocean. The sea was rolling, making the targets bob around like corks as well as giving the shooters an unsteady platform. A miss could be disastrous.

Richard Phillips after being rescued by U.S. naval forces off the coast of Somalia. Philips was held hostage for four days by pirates. But the trio of Navy Seals who had been secretly dropped into the sea over the weekend and taken aboard the destroyer U.S.S. Bainbridge, were steely. They strapped on night vision goggles and zeroed in their targets, three pirates on a red lifeboat floating on the rough seas, including one pirate who was pointing an AK-47at the back of Capt. Richard Phillips. When the command to fire was given, three shots rang out and the five-day long standoff was over. Vice Adm. Bill Gortney said today that each sniper, who he described as "extremely, extremely well-trained," fired only one shot.

MORE:
http://abcnews.go.com/International/sto ... 378&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

Tis nice to see SEALs get some good press
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

Mentor to Myself
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

TC204 wrote:We're going to be training the MMA cadets very shortly at my sportsmans club, one of our members is in the MMA and it's already been arranged. We have a few certified instructors as well as a shit load of veterans including former Special Forces and Spec Ops. Those kids will be pretty good with a gun in no time.

It'll be nice to bypass all the red tape and get them the training they need asap. I was a mess cook on a MMA ship right out of high school, it gave me my sea legs before going into the Navy :wink:
Please use the appropriate naval operations manuals. You do not want a bunch of ill trained crew members armed and dangerous.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

RRDTm3 wrote:
CatFish Driver wrote:
Clear and precise decision making made easy by putting trust in the man on the ground. Good job BO.

I fucking love it
Well I'll be a son-of-bitch, I never thought I'd hear you say them words Ranger..... lol

btw its "President BO" mofo :wink:
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

RRDTm3 wrote:... Clear and precise decision making made easy by putting trust in the man on the ground. Good job BO...
Agreed. As it always should be.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

Bugsy wrote: Well I'll be a son-of-bitch, I never thought I'd hear you say them words Ranger..... lol

btw its "President BO" mofo :wink:
Good Job for taking himself out of the equation and letting others do their job is what I meant, if that is kudo's to him then so be it.

BO knows SEALs
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

Mentor to Myself

Return to “The News Dump”