Grenada Hero or ????

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Embryo

Grenada Hero or ????

Post by 377 »

I am not a Ranger but I need some Ranger related info and hope you guys can help me out.

A local guy who claims to be an ex Ranger says he jumped at 500 ft from a C 130 into Grenada (believable) and immediately upon landing single handedly killed SEVEN enemy soldiers manning a 30 cal machine gun in a building, killing two with his gun and five by hand (believable ????). He claims to have jumped with a "mini 14 carbine" and a "50 cal sniper rifle."

I can find no mention of this heroic event in any Grenada historical accounts.

Is this guy a hero or an imposter?

Thanks for any assistance you can give in confirming this guy as a hero or exposing his claims as untruthful.

If this should be posted in a different part of the website than Mosh Pit let me know.

Thanks.
Last edited by 377 on November 23rd, 2008, 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie 51
Ranger

Post by Charlie 51 »

Please read the FAQ about the site and post an intro in the appropriate section
C Co 2/75 Weapons
Classes 4-5/93

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there" - Will Rogers
Embryo

Post by 377 »

Thanks, posted in 75th area.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

377 wrote:Thanks, posted in 75th area.
Negative - you are a NOGO, follow Tenn-RGR intstructions & links in the 75th RR Forum.

This topic locked until you post an intro in the proper forum.

Edited to add: This topic re-opened - request met. Carry on.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

This is an easy one. He is full of shit.

No one had a Mini-14 :roll:

The only .50 caliber around that time, that was used by the military, was a monstrous shoulder breaker such a McMillan or a Daisy (yep, the BB gun company branched out).

As for killing a squad's worth of folks with his bare hands... uhm, right. :roll: :roll:

Even Jack Bauer uses a pistol or some other firepower when he's going to kill that many.

What a douche.

Let the tracker teams here know who he is. They'll clean up the mess shortly.
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
AntonA2W
Ranger

Post by AntonA2W »

But I had heard from guys up at the VA that they rebored the barrel on the M14 to .50 and put a big suppressor on it? But that was only for the recon/point team with the 1 man gun team (?) whos M60 was supressed as well. Didnt he also carry a spare mortar tube? Think I mightve been stuck in the psych ward a little too long
"...Fuck it all and Fuckin no regrets..."

God Bless Dementia

1/75, A2W, 11Jul93-18Nov94 (started day 1 of a 34 day nap)
IDon'tCare
Ranger

Post by IDon'tCare »

rgrokelley wrote:
Let the tracker teams here know who he is. They'll clean up the mess shortly.
Not on the Manifest. Total Poser.
A co 2/75 80-84
Ranger class 12-82
SERE Instructor class 1-83

Mentor to Prodigy922 / KW12 / whiskeytango
ma91c1an
Triple Canopy

Re: Grenada Hero or ????

Post by ma91c1an »

He claims to have jumped with a "mini 14 carbine" and a "50 cal sniper rifle."
Total poser. Total bullshit liar.

There was a guy who landed in the middle of a bunch of Cubans (three? four?) on the North side of the runway, in the middle of a gunfight between 1st Bat Rangers and Cubans. We jumped our rifles exposed, and it was lucky for him.

He killed one or two Cubans at close range with his CAR15 while he was still in his parachute harness, and wounded a couple of others. He then saved the lives of the ones that he wounded. He was a medic named Scott Underdonk. He received the Bronze Star with V for the incident.

He went to the Pentagon with me in early November, 1983, and to a reception at the Rose Garden where Ronnie gave a kick-ass speech. I sat next to a totally hot redhead who was wearing some kind of fake fur coat. When she started hugging on me, her coat got caught in my fruit salad.

No idea what ever happened to Underdonk. He was a good medic, assigned to B Co, 2d Bat.

Your poser, on the other hand, deserves to be burned down without mercy.
-------
Classes 12, 13, and 14-81.
Company A, 2d Battalion (Ranger), 1st Platoon, "Bad 'Muthers," 1980-1984;
SFQC 4-84.
Company B, 2d Battalion, 1st Special Forces Group (Airborne), ODA 151, 1984-1986.
Embryo

Post by 377 »

Ranger ma91c1an,

Thank you for that detailed on point reply. I have been criticized by my friend for even questioning this guy's story since I am not a vet. I am pretty sure that real heroes wouldnt mind having their stories checked out.

You have now convinced me that the guy is a poser, but I am having a really hard time convincing my friend.

I wonder if the poser took accounts of Ranger Underdonk's heroic action, spun them up a bit and adopted it as his own? Seems to be some similarities.

In spite of requests from rangers to post or PM the posers name I have not done it. I don't want to see physical harm come to him. I have heard stories about what happens when real Rangers find fake ones.

Thanks again,
Mark
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

377 wrote:Ranger ma91c1an,

Thank you for that detailed on point reply. I have been criticized by my friend for even questioning this guy's story since I am not a vet. I am pretty sure that real heroes wouldnt mind having their stories checked out.

You have now convinced me that the guy is a poser, but I am having a really hard time convincing my friend.

I wonder if the poser took accounts of Ranger Underdonk's heroic action, spun them up a bit and adopted it as his own? Seems to be some similarities.

In spite of requests from rangers to post or PM the posers name I have not done it. I don't want to see physical harm come to him. I have heard stories about what happens when real Rangers find fake ones.

Thanks again,
Mark
So, let me get this straight. You come in here asking for our help to answer your questions and provide information for you. These men do that for you, and then you deny their requests for information related to the same situation?

No one's going to get beat up stud, they ain't going to hunt him down and burn his fucking house down or nothing. They asked for his name so it can followed up properly and dealt with properly. What if he's receiving benefits or trying to use this story for personal gain?

Use your head bud, don't you think they know what they're doing?
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Embryo

Post by 377 »

Ranger Cams,

I hear you. I take your valid criticism seriously. I don't like getting more information than I give, but I know of one instance where a guy posing as a Special Forces vet got badly beat up by some real ones. Alcohol was involved so maybe tempers were less controlled than they otherwise might have been. I know Rangers are highly professional and disciplined, but who can guarantee what would happen if the poser got violent himself?

This poser is into guns. I just dont want a pathetic loser to turn into a cornered rat who hurts someone, or far far more likely, gets hurt himself. I aplogize for taking more information than I gave. I hope you can see my point even if you strongly disagree with it.

Regards,
Mark
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

This is getting old. You have a valid LEO offering to handle it with valid legal measure. Google "The Stolen Valor Act" and take it from there. Aside from this, who gives a shit if he has guns or nukes for that matter. If you just wanted to abate your curiosity then why did you even bring it here? If you give a shit about the sacrifices men have made to earn the right to be called Ranger or Soldier for that matter but allow a fraud to perpetuate his lies on the backs of those who actually DID do something....then Sir....you are no better than he is. If that is the case....go away. You have no reason to be here and we have no reason to entertain your cowardess or overplayed concerns. In short, shit or get out.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

And goofy attitudes like this is why I don’t go anywhere near civilian jumpers
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

Tenn-RGR wrote:
Horned Toad wrote:And goofy attitudes like this is why I don’t go anywhere near civilian jumpers
You dont know what you're missing. :mrgreen:
Two jumps in 94 was enough
:D
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92

Return to “The Mosh Pit”