"New" Blackwater Scandal

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Nomad wrote:
Silverback wrote:As if America needs a private brigade?
America could "use" a private BDE, just as it is using IC's all over the place for various government contracts.

I am somewhat familiar with the problems this poses regarding a handful of topics, but to shoot down the concept isn't necessarily the best COA.
How many senior leaders got scared by that announcement? Senior leaders felt as though BW was easily managed through the contract negotiation process, but then BW goes on what can only be described as a PR parade...talking to anyone who will stand still long enough to listen. I am not anti-PMC, I just feel that for BW some of the "bad luck" was self induced by their overwhelming success at dominating the PMC arena ( as seen by the public).

Had they stuck true to the often quoted "Quiet professionals" I think they would've been as successful with a lot less criticism.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
RGR_Dan
Ranger

Post by RGR_Dan »

The reality is, talk about PMCs and Iraq is as good as any Lindsey Lohan story. Its just noise, in a few days it goes away.

Although riding down MSR Tampa in a Mamba using penis defilade while wearing a kpot with horns on it might draw added attention.
95-98 Aco. 3/75 2nd plt Weapons Sqd
98-01Hco 121st LRS
Former LEO
Former Contractor
LEO (round 2)
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

The Holmchicken wrote:If you want a good idea how the general public views PMC's (and where most of them get there opinion of such), read "Outsourced" by RJ Hillhouse. It's fiction by the largest margin possible.
:D

I actually picked this up at the store on a whim, and was quickly underwhelmed. So I gave it to my Ranger buddy from this board who was working for BW at the time. I told him he needed to read it to see what a real PMC looked like.
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

Silverback wrote:
Nomad wrote:
Silverback wrote:As if America needs a private brigade?
America could "use" a private BDE, just as it is using IC's all over the place for various government contracts.

I am somewhat familiar with the problems this poses regarding a handful of topics, but to shoot down the concept isn't necessarily the best COA.
How many senior leaders got scared by that announcement? Senior leaders felt as though BW was easily managed through the contract negotiation process, but then BW goes on what can only be described as a PR parade...talking to anyone who will stand still long enough to listen. I am not anti-PMC, I just feel that for BW some of the "bad luck" was self induced by their overwhelming success at dominating the PMC arena ( as seen by the public).
I agree with your POV.
Had they stuck true to the often quoted "Quiet professionals" I think they would've been as successful with a lot less criticism.
"Quiet Professional" unfortunately doesn't apply to a large segment of people who should fall under that train of thought. So even if you hire nothing but former SOF, you will still have incidents.

The only time people really pay attention IMO, is when there is a zero tolerance policy. No counseling, not verbal, not written, just a simple "pack your shit, you're gone" works wonders.

Problem with that method is the staffing issue on a large contract. It works on smaller more selective contracts.

Return to “The News Dump”