Coffee-Seeking Driver Hits Grizzly Bear in Alaskan Street

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Coffee-Seeking Driver Hits Grizzly Bear in Alaskan Street

Post by Flesh Thorn »

ANCHORAGE, Alaska — One moment Howard Hawkins Jr. was driving to get an early morning cup of coffee and the next he hit a large grizzly bear running at a full gallop across one of Anchorage's busiest streets.

"It is just unreal," Hawkins said Friday, less than 12 hours after his 2002 Land Rover struck the bear. "It just happened so fast. I didn't have time to react. I wasn't even able to hit my brakes or anything. What stopped the forward motion of the car is that I ran into a big bear."

Hawkins, 57, plowed into the bear shortly before 4 a.m. in what is the latest in a summer of close encounters between human and bruin in Alaska's largest city.

Read More
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Hope he didn't spill any coffee, that'd be just too much.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
medicchick
DSOTYR - Ranger Wife

Post by medicchick »

This happened on one of the main roads in Anchorage. There is no hunting them within a certain distance from the city limit, and they are over running parks right now. In a town of about 200,000, there are 36 known grizzlies running around, many more black bears. I forget how many mauling there have been, at least 2 in the last month. Some groups are trying to get permission to hunt them, at least to thin them out a bit.
Someone needs to teach the regular Army how to make a packing list.

Supporting my DAV, one day at a time.
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Flesh Thorn wrote:he hit a large grizzly bear running at a full gallop across one of Anchorage's busiest streets.
Grizzly jerky? :D
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

Tater Nuts wrote:I think Abell hit a grizzly once. oh wait, nevermind.
:lol: :lol:

Thank you Tater! :lol:
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Tater Nuts wrote:I think Abell hit a grizzly once. oh wait, nevermind.

Oh that was good .....thats was classic TATER
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )

Return to “The News Dump”