Cell Phone Provider ?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

CatFish Driver
Ranger

Post by CatFish Driver »

Rugger wrote:Verizon works fine here in Ohio. I do some limited traveling and they have always worked for me.

I would also add that Sprint/Nextell sucks!
X2 on both counts.

I had Verizon and had to drop it when I went to flight school. Enterprise, AL is the only place in America I think that Verizon has shitty service in. So I was forced to pickup either Nextel or Alltel. I got Nextel which blows. I am much happier living somewhere that Verizon works again and promptly switched back.
Ranger School Class 08-02

"Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice, moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
--Senator Barry Goldwater
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

I have NEXTEL and no issues what so ever. The only place I have not had coverage was at the ranch.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
scubask
Tadpole

Post by scubask »

I used to travel all over the country for work, and I work in the healthcare industry, so I've been to hospitals from NYC to a tiny clinic that looks like a house in the middle of nowhere. I've had Sprint, Verizon, and Cingular/AT&T.

Sprint and Verizon uses CDMA technology, which has the fastest data transfer rate as long as you're on their network.

AT&T and T-Mobile uses GSM technology (phones that have the removable chip that hold your account info), which is what the rest of the world uses. Pros to GSM is that you can use it in any country - in case you go to Canada, Mexico, Europe, or wherever.

As for the coverage, here's my experience:
Sprint absolutely blows - so many roaming areas or no coverage areas.
Verizon and AT&T were about the same in the U.S.

Of the major providers, T-Mobile has the fewest towers in the U.S. according to a friend of mine that worked for Sprint a couple years ago. I can't comment on T-Mobile since I have never subscribed with them.

Bottom Line: For what you plan to use it for (just talking and texting), I would go with either Verizon or AT&T because of the coverage. I have AT&T now because of international travel, and with the merger last year with Cingular, they have the most towers in the U.S. as well.
USMA 1996-2000
3/2 ID 2001-2003, 2005
3/1 SFG(A) 2003-2004
OIF 2004
KeyserS175

Post by KeyserS175 »

Rugger wrote:Verizon works fine here in Ohio. I do some limited traveling and they have always worked for me.

I would also add that Sprint/Nextell sucks!
X3. I have had Verizon for he past 5 years and have not had a single issue.
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

I had Verison til I went to Polk and had to drop them. went to Sprint. moved to Lewis and dropped Sprint for Cingular. AT&T seems to have the best coverage I've seen.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Draco
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Draco »

Sprint has the best phones, but Verizon has the best coverage, IMHO.
I agree, I use Sprint and am TDY a lot. Sprint coverage blows at Ft Rucker, Ft Riley and North Ft Hood, to mention a few places. Only reason I stay with Sprint is because of the cost and the package HH6 and I have.
1/10th SFG(A) Bad Toelz, FRG 85-88
Co. G/143rd INF (LRRS) 89-91
Rgr Class 6-92
Jack of all trades 92-present

"Hope and pray that you'll never need me,
But rest assured I will not let you down.
I'll walk beside you but you may not see me,
The strongest among you may not wear a crown." 3DD
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

I have Nextel.

It's given to me from work... so, it's free to me. I like the Direct Connect on it, but the service is not the best in the world. I don't have to pay the bill, but it drops calls all the time.

It's a CrackBerry... so I can't complain.

I had good luck with Verizon... my air card is Verizon.

I have used T-Mobile in the past... my one complaint about Verizon phone service though, is their billing is whacked. I could never understand their billing cycles, or their charges. I wound up dropping them once I got my Nextel from work.
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

My Sprint aircard works like a champ around here. I like having the aircard from one provider and the cell from another; it gives me some flexibility.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

ANGRYCivilian wrote:My Sprint aircard works like a champ around here. I like having the aircard from one provider and the cell from another; it gives me some flexibility.
Aircard. What's that? I've never heard of an aircard before. Is that like a pre-paid minutes card for your phone? Those are real popular out here.
Draco
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Draco »

An Aircard!!
An aircard is a device for a laptop, PDA or cell phone that allows the user to connect to wide area wireless Internet access.

They are connected to your mobile gadget using an available USB port, PCMCIA card slot or ExpressCard slot.
1/10th SFG(A) Bad Toelz, FRG 85-88
Co. G/143rd INF (LRRS) 89-91
Rgr Class 6-92
Jack of all trades 92-present

"Hope and pray that you'll never need me,
But rest assured I will not let you down.
I'll walk beside you but you may not see me,
The strongest among you may not wear a crown." 3DD
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Verizon. No bells & whistles on my plan, just great phone service anywhere & everywhere.
Never saw fit to have to consider anything else.
Fast growing network, not many places left on this continent without Verizon service.

I go to Canada often and no issues there either, except for one mongo sized roam charge if I forget to change my plan before departure. You can subscribe for an international plan for just days at a time, which is pretty useful, no hassle at all.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

I got verizon phone & USB Modem too, just before I went to Rock Island Ranger's Ranch. Service was very spotty to non-existence often. I had 30 days to try it out and handed it all in upon return with my complaint to verizon verbal and calm. Got a new blackberry from verizon with internet service on it. Using it here in NYC & surfing ArmyRanger.com (is good but there are limitations) but my callers keep telling me I am breaking up - shades of Vietnam & the PRC-25. Fucken need a relay team out here. :evil: Am locked in for two years. Only Good deal is my family is on verizon so all calls to them will always be free.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

RTO wrote:
ANGRYCivilian wrote:My Sprint aircard works like a champ around here. I like having the aircard from one provider and the cell from another; it gives me some flexibility.
Aircard. What's that? I've never heard of an aircard before. Is that like a pre-paid minutes card for your phone? Those are real popular out here.
Draco wrote:An Aircard!!
An aircard is a device for a laptop, PDA or cell phone that allows the user to connect to wide area wireless Internet access.

They are connected to your mobile gadget using an available USB port, PCMCIA card slot or ExpressCard slot.
What Ranger Draco posted. Basically, it's a high-speed(256K) cell modem for a laptop. You can also use it as a cell phone if you hook up a mic and headphones to your laptop. It's a nice tool to have if you're on call 24hrs/day for tech-support crap and you're on vacation. :evil:
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
smokn38
Paratrooper

Post by smokn38 »

I've been an Alltel customer for several years, and will probably never leave them. Service, and reception is great. We use them for internet access as well. We just travelled to FLorida, and DC. Had an internet connection almost constantly.
HHC 1/508th Panama 1989-1990
HHC and A Co 1/505th 1990-1992
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

I had to call Suncom this weekend over a small billing issue. As I was hanging up I asked when was the last day that I would have service as I had given notice that I would not be renewing my contract. I was guessing it would be sometime in July. The lady said it would be today( Saturday). I hung up and tried to make a few calls to let them know that my number would be dead. The bastards had already shut off my service. Good fucking riddance. :)
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:

Return to “The Mosh Pit”