Soldier buying gear

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

lonergr77
Ranger

Soldier buying gear

Post by lonergr77 »

Here is an article about soldier buying there own high speed kit in wonderful Fort Benning. Of course they have to quote and Army Ranger. It's funny to me that I've never heard of Commando Military Supply. When I first saw the headline I thought of Ranger Joe's.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20080306/ts_csm/abattleshop
lonergr77

3rd Plt, Cco, 2/75 - Nov '96 to Dec '99
RRD - Dec '99 to Dec '03
TSE Inc - Dec '03 to May '10
RRC Civilian - May '10 -
RC - 3-98
Ranger Hix
Ranger

Post by Ranger Hix »

What the Hell ever happened to the old saying"

"If the Army wanted you to have that Son, It would have issued you one"

Guess they are just getting soft! :D :D
Aco Wpns Plt 3/75
60 mm Mortar Crew
Jan 89-Feb 91
Rio Hato

HARD TIMES DON'T LAST, HARD MEN DO!
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Soldiers get eveything they need to fight, of course the Army doesn't issue Oakley boots (because those boots suck). Soldiers have always augmented their gear and this is nothing new. This is a weak attempt at stoking the liberal argument that Soldiers are going to battle under equipped.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Tenn-RGR wrote:Thats funny. Looking sexy wasnt anywhere on my mind while overseas. :roll:
And now even though Oakely eye protection is issued...it isn't good enough? This article is a fucking joke.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Overwatch
Ranger

Post by Overwatch »

I've seen all these cool guy kited out wannabe's. Typically they are the first ones to try to expalin to you they know everything about anything except 9 lines and communication equip.
8/8 FA ROK '93-'94
2/17 FA '94-'95
WIARNG '95-'00
IOBC '01

RANGER SCHOOL CLS 02-02

3 IN RGT (TOG) '02-'04
WIARNG (Ever since)
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Overwatch wrote:I've seen all these cool guy kited out wannabe's. Typically they are the first ones to try to expalin to you they know everything about anything except 9 lines and communication equip.
I did notice that a preponderance of quoted personnel were "LT's"...Care to explain?
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

"At the same time, there is a basic human need to pull away from that ... [to] retain some sense of self-identity that is separate from the group identity."
Give me a fucking break. They quote some dork from Boston University plus a couple of 2nd LT's....credibility....wow. I need some uh dat shit!
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Overwatch
Ranger

Post by Overwatch »

I did notice that a preponderance of quoted personnel were "LT's"...Care to explain?[/quote]

I think you are just making fun of me at this point and time. Just because I am an officer doesn't mean I'm that officer. Besides I still stand at period rest or at ease for my CSM when he is talking to me.
I do think several of the new LT's are in the I have money now let's spend it on stuff like fancy equip and new cars so I can be in debt even more. Once again think about non prior service LT's are fresh out of college a little discipline and still a little naive to the world. So of course they like to talk the big talk.
Reading the article again makes me wonder if it is really a real article- just seems so cheesy. Ya I'm from WI.
8/8 FA ROK '93-'94
2/17 FA '94-'95
WIARNG '95-'00
IOBC '01

RANGER SCHOOL CLS 02-02

3 IN RGT (TOG) '02-'04
WIARNG (Ever since)
EvilCouch
Ranger

Re: Soldier buying gear

Post by EvilCouch »

lonergr77 wrote:Here is an article about soldier buying there own high speed kit in wonderful Fort Benning. Of course they have to quote and Army Ranger. It's funny to me that I've never heard of Commando Military Supply. When I first saw the headline I thought of Ranger Joe's.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20080306/ts_csm/abattleshop
http://www.commandosupply.com/

Based on their location, I think they took over the old Brigade Quartermaster shop.
"The Army is planning a $20 billion future combat system, and they can't provide boots that don't wear out," says Roger Charles, editor of DefenseWatch
That quote amuses me. All boots wear out. It took a hell of a lot of rucking for me to wear out my combat and jungle boots. I didn't wear out my desert boots, although I would have liked to have DXed them for ones without blood on them.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

Officers have always bought their own shit. That's why we got an allowance for gear. And, I know, the allowance doesn't pay for it all but big deal; we got paid more than we deserved. Looking cool is another factor.

I will say, the Army (around 2002-2003) got MUCH better pushing stuff forward to the troops. Amazingly better. Stuff the SF guys tested that worked showed up (in some form) at line units 6-8 months later. The issued gear line units get has improved a ton. Don't know who's responsible for that but the effect was good.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
testedone

Post by testedone »

Well Rangers, I am a self professed Gear whore as some have called me. Since I am ARNG I still have a great civilian job that has afforded me the opportunity to buy some gear that at least for me has made things a little easier as it relates to functionality (packs, mag pouches etc.)

The current RFI issue gear though I find sufficient ( I prefer the FLC to attaching directly to the IBA/OTV) I was surprised though when I joined up last year I was issued all old woodland gear and though I won't deply until later this year I am a big fan of training with what I will use when deployed, makes no sense to me to train with one type of gear (M16A2, LBE, etc..etc..) to then be issued new gear once you deploy...

So that was my motivation to get some new gear that at least in function closely resemble what we will be deployed with.

Who of us has not bought a chest rig to use versus what we are issued??

But the tone of the article mentioned leaves a lot to be desired, I believe someone already mentioned about boots (yes all boots wear out)... I personally like the issue 390 and 790 Belleville, I know this may be sacrilegious :shock: on this forum but I was not a fan of green jungle boots, I have high arches and the always killed me after a good 10-13 mile run in those puppies...

I just wished that they would issue the new stuff at BCT versus waiting until RFI...Train with what you will use in combat versus not..

For me also it aint about being pretty it's about functionality and ease of use..
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

Shit, I just wore what we were issued. It worked fine. Besides, in my time in the Regiment, it was a no no to have anything different. 100MPH tape and shoe goo can fix just about anything.

It's not the gear that makes the warrior.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

Bravo57 wrote: It's not the gear that makes the warrior.
X2

And yes Commandos is in the old Bde Quartermaster building, they also have a surplus shop where the steak house used to be at the end of the parking lot.
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "

Return to “The Mosh Pit”