Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Dirt Dart
Embryo

Introduction

Post by Dirt Dart »

Greeting Rangers!

I am currently an ROTC cadet in my last year of college. I am contracted and scholarship-ed. My only experience with the real Army so far has been Airborne School (CN: 43-05 RN: C154). I have been doing some thinking (it hurts) and have decided that I would rather turn down my commission for an 11X Option 40 Contract.

Current PT scores as of my last test:
PU: 65
SU: 80
2 mile: 13:30
Invictus
Ranger

Re: Introduction

Post by Invictus »

Dirt Dart wrote:Greeting Rangers!

I am currently an ROTC cadet in my last year of college. I am contracted and scholarship-ed. My only experience with the real Army so far has been Airborne School (CN: 43-05 RN: C154). I have been doing some thinking (it hurts) and have decided that I would rather turn down my commission for an 11X Option 40 Contract.

Current PT scores as of my last test:
PU: 65
SU: 80
2 mile: 13:30
Why?
Dirt Dart
Embryo

Post by Dirt Dart »

Reasons are as follows:

1) ROTC accessions is something of a crap shoot, I'm not the best student ever, and having a low GPA means that I very unlikely to get a say in my Branch. Our last 3 high-speeds have received the following branches: Transportation, Transportation, Chem Corps. Even with ADSO (signing up for an "almost" guaranteed branch for a 7 year commitment) 2 guys still ended up quartermaster. Lots of good opportunities there, but its not what I want.

2) As I understand it from discussions with my Cadre here, moving beyond CPT essentially means saying good bye to your soldiers, in most units in branches, not to mention you will probably be re-branched to Acquisitions, Administration, or Logistics. Since I am strongly thinking about a long-term career in the military ( I only say strongly thinking about it because I've only spent 4 weeks in the real Army) I would prefer a job that allows me to interact more personally with my fellow soldiers.

3) Getting into the Regiment (my goal for about 5 years now) as an officer is very unlikely, and there is the catch-22 of both excelling enough to meet the high standards, and not being so good that your Battalion commander won't be willing to recommend you, since he could be losing one of his officers.

4) Long-Term: From time talking with BTDTs in the Special Forces community, it sounds like being an SF Warrant Officer would be a perfect opportunity and ultimate career goal for what I am seeking to get out of my service. But that is a long way off and there are A LOT of steps between here and there, never the less, you can't go from 11A to 180A.
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

Well, it looks like you've put some thought into it. There are others much more qualified than I am to discuss ROTC and the like with you. I'm curious how long you've known you wanted to enlist? Did all the pieces JUST fall into place, or have you known for awhile now?

Also, your intro never really stated what you're looking to gain from coming here. Moral support? Guidance? Affirmation?
Dirt Dart
Embryo

Post by Dirt Dart »

I wanted to enlist right after high school, but my parents insisted that I go to college first. I'm glad I went to college, and I'll be going into the Army with 2 years of Arabic under my belt. Talking to Cadre members with a lot more experience than I has been the main factor in me changing my mind.

The main reason I am here is to see if I can learn about my options for enlisting. I just told my Battalion Commander that I was planning on not accepting a commission and he was, to put it mildly, perturbed. He wants to send me on active duty with no benefits as an e-1 for 2 years. That's not terribly bad, but again, I want to be a Ranger, and I'm concerned because as things stand MEPS will get to pick my MOS for me. But at least this way I only have to do a job I don't want for 2 years instead of 6. And after that I'll still have more opportunities to get into the Regiment than I would as an officer. Which is still my most immediate goal, after graduating college.

I was hoping that someone here might know something about recruiting and be able to give me a few pointers on trying to get an option 40 contract with the leverage of being able to walk out. :?
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

Dirt Dart wrote:I wanted to enlist right after high school, but my parents insisted that I go to college first. I'm glad I went to college, and I'll be going into the Army with 2 years of Arabic under my belt. Talking to Cadre members with a lot more experience than I has been the main factor in me changing my mind.

The main reason I am here is to see if I can learn about my options for enlisting. I just told my Battalion Commander that I was planning on not accepting a commission and he was, to put it mildly, perturbed. He wants to send me on active duty with no benefits as an e-1 for 2 years. That's not terribly bad, but again, I want to be a Ranger, and I'm concerned because as things stand MEPS will get to pick my MOS for me. But at least this way I only have to do a job I don't want for 2 years instead of 6. And after that I'll still have more opportunities to get into the Regiment than I would as an officer. Which is still my most immediate goal, after graduating college.

I was hoping that someone here might know something about recruiting and be able to give me a few pointers on trying to get an option 40 contract with the leverage of being able to walk out. :?
I think you'll find the answers you're looking for here. I commend you on your chosen profession. Joining a war time army takes some iron in your gut, especially as a grunt.

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com.
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Now you sound like someone worth spending time on, unlike the 'wanna-be a DEP' I just replied to...

My 2c worth is this: go for the enlisted Opt40.
You have the college and some exposure to leadership training. OCS will be there for you for several more years, should you decide to try for a commision after you've had some experience in the Army.
Basic/OSUT will be a trail for you since it likely wont be enough of a challenge, but it's what it is.
If you make it to Regiment, you'll learn more about the basics, and learn it better than you will anyplace else. You'll be a better soldier whether you move on to SF (notice I said 'on' to, & not 'up' to), stay with infantry soldiers or seek a commision to lead warriors.
You've come to a good place for guidance, there's someone here who's taken just about any direction you might consider; from SF/SF warrent/career infantry NCO and quite a few officers.
Meanwhile GET MORE FIT.
Others will be along shortly, check your PMs for the local ROE - 'someone' will be firing them off soon.
Meanwhile, there's a LOT of knowledge already posted in the public forums here, probably anything you can think of to ask is in here somewhere.
Good luck with your decision., but once taken - never look back.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Welcome here! If you will look, listen and pay attention to details, you can learn a lot here.
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Welcome. Please read the ROE PM sent to you.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Interesting!

Dirt Dart, a man has only one opportunity to make a favorable initial impression. You're a success! One of the more thought provoking threads I've seen here in quite a long time. I applaud you on your logic and approach to life. You can transform yourself into almost anything you desire if you're willing to work for it. If you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the best on-line prep school available. The DEP welcome committee will be along shortly to pick you up. Read all the FAQs, stickies, and selected threads that are of interest. Read the Ranger Creed and ponder how to live by it. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Copperhead
Tadpole

Post by Copperhead »

Welcome Dirt Dart,

PM imbound.

-Caleb
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek."
-Mario Andretti
Glenn, MSG Ret.
US Army Veteran - Ranger Parent

Post by Glenn, MSG Ret. »

You'll have more choices in what you want in the Armyas enlisted than if you were wearing butter bars. It sounds to me that a hitch being a Transportation officer or a in the Quartemaster Corps isn't what you'd like to do in the Army. I can't blame you. I know Infantry slots are hard to come by out of ROTC.

Don't walk out of MEPS without that option 40 contract if getting into the 75th Ranger Regt. is what you really want.

Lots of good info on this site if you're willing to follow their advise.
Former 2nd squad 3rd platoon A Co. 3/75 Dad
USNavy 1960-1966
USArmy 1980-2001
Retired MSG
CatFish Driver
Ranger

Post by CatFish Driver »

A good idea might be for you to go talk to your local recruiter. Your ROTC Bn CDR may have done that already for you, so you may have to talk to another one in case he tried to torpedo you.

Your local recruiter will have all kinds of info about the Opt 40 program, although you may have to prod him. There are a few former recruiters on this board who know the system better than I.

Follow the board FAQ's and stickies and you should have no problem here. The search button is your friend.

Don't be intimidated by your PMS, but don't be disrespectful to him either (not saying you are). If he's worth a fuck he may be mad at first, but later when he sees that you are serious about your career, he may even help you. No good leader wants to lose troops, so that may be why he is pissed. Also, graduation/commissioning numbers are of the utmost important to him and other like him.

If you have a specific ROTC question, Ranger j.rico is currently working in an ROTC unit. He is definitley worth a PM if you can't find the info with the search button.

Good luck.
Ranger School Class 08-02

"Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice, moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
--Senator Barry Goldwater
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Your screen-name is a jinx.

You might want to do something about that.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Kilted Heathen wrote:Your screen-name is a jinx.

You might want to do something about that.
Mebbe he's already had his one malfunction & survived?..

Some of the best officers I've had the privilege of working with started as enlisted soldiers first. Good luck and welcome..
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi

Return to “Introduction Archive”