My Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

Dreadnought wrote:I hope this post isn't deemed as unwarranted, but I feel that it's necessary for me to say that this website is a an invaluable resource for someone like me!

Although I'm scared shitless by devilrats horror story about shin splints, I've gleaned more helpful and hopeful advice about them from this site than I have from:

1) My doctor
2) Friends
3) Running coaches
4) My mother.

I want to thank you Rangers for allowing kids and people like me the opportunity to learn from you. I understand the value of silence, so I'll stop talking while I am not too far behind.
In case you're wondering - I double-tapped you in the chest with my last post. Now, I'm aiming for the head shot that finishes you off.

What do numbers 1, 2, 3, and 4 know about the difference between an Option 4 and an Option 40? You're about to base a life decision on your doctor (who is paid by insurance, and therefore must get you in and out as quickly as possible), your friends (n'uff said), your running coaches :roll:, and your mother. Good luck with that.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
Dreadnought
Ranger

Post by Dreadnought »

I'm sorry Ranger 42L5V, but I don't understand your first post. I've read and reread both your and Ranger RRDTm3's post, and I just don't understand...

I love my music, but it isn't the only thing that I love. I made up my mind a long time ago that music would take a back seat to any military career that I pursued. I love the instrument I play, the music it makes, and the pieces that have been written for it, and I don't mean to sound rude but I think the fact that I decided to put it on hold for me to join the military says a lot about how much I want to join the army. At least, to me it does, but I think I may be misinterpreting your meanings. Struggling over and taking solace in the beauty of music has been a defining factor in my life.

Ranger 42L5V I decided to enlist with an Option 4 of my own accord. In the post of mine you quoted I merely meant to say that the Ranger community here has helped me learn more than anyone else.
D/2/75 APRIL 09 - APRIL 2017
RS 11-10
CDQC 002-13
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Can't you just fucking read the advice and nod to yourself and then apply action?

"Of your own accord?"

Do you know what that means?
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Kilted Heathen wrote:
"Of your own accord?"

Do you know what that means?
OOOH OOOH OOOH,
I Know, I Know, Pick Me! Pick Me, Pick ME!!
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

Dreadnought wrote:I'm sorry Ranger 42L5V, but I don't understand your first post. I've read and reread both your and Ranger RRDTm3's post, and I just don't understand...

I love my music, but it isn't the only thing that I love. I made up my mind a long time ago that music would take a back seat to any military career that I pursued. I love the instrument I play, the music it makes, and the pieces that have been written for it, and I don't mean to sound rude but I think the fact that I decided to put it on hold for me to join the military says a lot about how much I want to join the army. At least, to me it does, but I think I may be misinterpreting your meanings. Struggling over and taking solace in the beauty of music has been a defining factor in my life.

Ranger 42L5V I decided to enlist with an Option 4 of my own accord. In the post of mine you quoted I merely meant to say that the Ranger community here has helped me learn more than anyone else.
Okay. I'll explain my comment. RRDTm3, if I'm not correct here - jump in, if you're so inclined to do so He said that he spent seven years in the Ranger Regiment, before pursuing his musical dream. He advised you to do time in Regiment (Opt 40) then pursue music, if that is your life's calling. That means he's pretty much been in your shoes. BTDT.

I believe if I'm reading his post correct, he's stating that he wouldn't trade his experiences for a grammy, a lifetime contract in LA, and all the groupies that followed Motley Crue in the 80s. (well, maybe not the groupies...)

That's why I said re-read his post, not my interpretation of what he was trying to tell you. In fact - how about asking him directly for more info? You might get told to pound sand - but you might get told some experiences that he went through as a 17 year old facing a life decision.

If you click on the hyperlink in his post, you'll find his band on myspace, and a very slim part of his story. I said that, hoping that you'd do some research, instead of firing back a response.

If you're firm in your Opt 4 decision - good for you. At least you've made a decision. I'd advise you to consider the Opt 40 before you make a decision. If you have a comment or question, send me a PM. I don't make that offer every day.
RSClass 10-92
Dreadnought
Ranger

SITREP

Post by Dreadnought »

I signed my Option 40 yesterday (no more Option 4, did some hard-thinking and decided not to be a pussy about it) and swore in at my local MEPS station.

I'm now in the DEP/"Future Soldier" program, and my shipdate is 20080805. I followed the advice on this website and got as many benefits as I could!

I feel so much better knowing that this initial step is finally made, and all I have to worry about (as if it's not enough on its own) is training properly so that I'm prepared, mentally and physically, for when I ship out. But between this website and the willingness of my recruiter to train with me, I'm really not too worried :)

I have to say though, it was hard staying excited the entire 9 and a half hours that I was sitting around at MEPS before actually looking at my contract!
RS 11-10
CDQC 002-13
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

Good Luck to you, young man, and do not ever,ever quit.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

Shin splints. Hmmmm.

I'm glad you chose the Opt40. Good luck with that.

Buy the best running shoes you can. Do the "A, B, C's" with your toes/feet.

Don't make decisions based on what "may or may not" happen. You have taken the first step in the right direction with your choice of opt 40. Every decision you make from now moving forward can effect whether or not you make it to the Regiment.

No more wishy-washy thoughts. Everything is now "I will git-r-done!"

"Never quit" is a mind set, not a quote.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Congratulations for enlisting. Good luck to you with good luck meaning preparedness meeting opportunity. You are going to get the opportunity, so be certain that you are prepared for it.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Dreadnought
Ranger

Post by Dreadnought »

Roger that Rangers Lefty, Bravo57, and Ranger Bill. I will do everything within my ability to learn, grow, and progress in all areas before shipping out. I refuse to let this contract go to waste, and I sure as damn hell refuse to let myself down before I'm dead and buried!
RS 11-10
CDQC 002-13
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

Good for you. Now stop typing and start reading.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

Bravo57 wrote:Good for you. Now stop typing and start reading.
And running.

Check out the running and rucking threads. If you get shin splints, you need to prep yourself more than the average one.
RSClass 10-92
Glenn, MSG Ret.
US Army Veteran - Ranger Parent

Post by Glenn, MSG Ret. »

Who doesn't get shin splints? For some, myself included, it's a way of life. Six years out of the Army after 27 & still running evey other day.

Damn that hurts!
Former 2nd squad 3rd platoon A Co. 3/75 Dad
USNavy 1960-1966
USArmy 1980-2001
Retired MSG

Return to “Introduction Archive”