Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

BenningBrat
Embryo

Post by BenningBrat »

Ranger Jim,
My Signature Line has been corrected. I will pay better attention to showing proper respect in the future.
I am developing a more efficient PT program then I currently follow. I am using information from Stew Smith’s books, Matt Furey’s Combat Conditioning, and various online resources including this site. I plan to finish in the next 2-3 days.
I intend to enlist in roughly two years. I had originally planned and agreed with my fiancé on finishing school through ROTC, then serving my active duty time. I have decided I would rather enlist. The path I want to take will occupy most my time. My wanting to wait is out of respect and compromise with my fiancé. Two years should be enough time to get my marriage in order and prepare myself for the challenge. I may enlist sooner depending on circumstances but roughly two years is my current plan.
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

Ummmmm..................... Where to start........

Your P.T. Sucks. Keep at it.

Waiting 2 years to join............. I read this as...... I'll never join, I got too busy. I really wanted to be a Ranger, but life got into the way.

Just my .02

Welcome and good luck with your P.T.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
Doc H
Ranger

Post by Doc H »

You may want to nix the Combat Conditioning.

Repetitive ball of foot squatting can be very harmful to your knees, and, as ANY of these guys will tell you, your knees don't need a head start on getting nice and fucked up. It'll happen on it's own.

Also, forehead wrestler's bridging for time is a bad idea, too. And the Hindu pushups... In fact, just use the book for kindling. Or wipe your ass with it. Your choice.

Some guys you may want to look into are Scott Sonnon, Nate Morrison, and Pavel Tsatsouline.

And a term you may want to Google is "Grease the Groove."

Just remember: High intensity cardio and never train to faliure.

Best of luck to you.
Ranger Class 01-05

"Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity,"- Hanlon's Razor
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Bravo57 wrote:Ummmmm..................... Where to start........

Your P.T. Sucks. Keep at it.

Waiting 2 years to join............. I read this as...... I'll never join, I got too busy. I really wanted to be a Ranger, but life got into the way.

Just my .02

Welcome and good luck with your P.T.
X2.

Ditch the broad and go sign up. It'll never last anyways and you'll have no tail and no history to tell your grandkids.

You'll get more tail than you can shake a stick at if you make it into a Batt. even if you're an ugly bastard like me.

And the sigline thing, it wasn't disrespectful, it just hasn't been earned yet.

So, what have we learned here today?

1) Dump the broad, she's dead weight.

2) Don't be a pussy. Go get an OPT 40 contract now.

3) You're PT sucks. Don't be a pussy (again) go beat yourself into submission until you're puking, shitting and crying all at the same time.

Crying, of course, only because you're overcome with pride and humility at the chance to serve this great nation as a member of the 75th Ranger Regiment (ABN).
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Doc H
Ranger

Post by Doc H »

BenningBrat wrote: My wanting to wait is out of respect and compromise with my fiancé. Two years should be enough time to get my marriage in order and prepare myself for the challenge. I may enlist sooner depending on circumstances but roughly two years is my current plan.
So, what you're saying is that you want to settle into a comfortable, stable position with your old lady over the next few years, and then totally wreck your comfort and stability by leaving her for the course of your training and then uprooting her to move her to one of three locations, putting her through the stress of moving and finding work in a military town where this usually is NO work, instead of starting your life together in this position so you don't have to adjust to it later?

Good plan. :?
Ranger Class 01-05

"Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity,"- Hanlon's Razor
Doc H
Ranger

Post by Doc H »

Cliv03 wrote: Just make sure that when you beat her, it's not to the point where she'll call the cops.
Use a phone book on the top of her head. No marks.
Ranger Class 01-05

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Doc H wrote:
BenningBrat wrote: My wanting to wait is out of respect and compromise with my fiancé. Two years should be enough time to get my marriage in order and prepare myself for the challenge. I may enlist sooner depending on circumstances but roughly two years is my current plan.
So, what you're saying is that you want to settle into a comfortable, stable position with your old lady over the next few years, and then totally wreck your comfort and stability by leaving her for the course of your training and then uprooting her to move her to one of three locations, putting her through the stress of moving and finding work in a military town where this usually is NO work, instead of starting your life together in this position so you don't have to adjust to it later?

Soup sandwich.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Doc H
Ranger

Post by Doc H »

Jim wrote:
Doc H wrote:

Soup sandwich.
Ok, I guess that was a bit of a run on.

Simple terms: My old squad leader always used to tell me that the best time to do anything is NOW.
Ranger Class 01-05

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Chris, if you enjoy the good things in life; protect that way of life be bearing arms in its defense. And do it now.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
BenningBrat
Embryo

Post by BenningBrat »

Doc H,
Thank you for the fitness pointers. Pavel makes more sense than Combat Conditioning and I plan to cut out most if not all of my train to failure exercises. When I looked at other workout plans, even those on this site, several say train to failure. I am curious if it is ever good to train to failure or should I cut it out completely. I will search and find my answer online, but I would appreciate it if you would like to add your input as well.
My fiancé and I had originally agreed on me waiting four years, and then devoting my time to the military. I decided I could not wait that long and she has released me to sign up sooner. We will now have 1½ years together, and then I will enlist. I am bound to my word I gave to her until she releases me from it.
Ship Date: 20080604
BenningBrat
Embryo

Post by BenningBrat »

Ranger Cliv03,
Hopefully no need for cops. If I swing at her she better fight back and hold her own, I do not want to be with someone who can not take care of themselves. :wink:
BenningBrat
Embryo

Post by BenningBrat »

Ranger Cams,
My waiting to enlist is part because I believe am not ready for the challenge. I believe it would be somewhat disrespectful to take an Option 40 spot when I have little chance of completing it.
Respectfully, when I enlist I swear an Oath to defend the Constitution and follow my chain of command. I give my word in a contract with the government. I believe dropping my fiancé would not be any different than breaking my word as a soldier and abandoning my post. Dead weight or not I have given my word to my fiancé and until she releases me from it, this is my post until I enlist. When I enlist the Army will decide my post and hers as well. I realize my life will be harder as a married man. I am confident I can adapt. If she cannot adapt and wishes to be released from her promise I will release her and we will part. This is the state I have created and this is what I will deal with. I cannot choose which promises I do and do not keep. Either I keep all my promises with Honor, Integrity, and Respect for the people who hold them, or I believe I do not deserve to swear any at all.
BenningBrat
Embryo

Post by BenningBrat »

Ranger Jim,
I want to defend my way of life. I would like to do that as a Ranger. But I believe am not yet elite material. I believe I have already failed once by not keeping myself strong and ready to defend. I am grateful for the resources here, that I may improve myself. I will strengthen myself as quickly as possible.
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

BenningBrat wrote:My fiancé and I had originally agreed on me waiting four years, and then devoting my time to the military. I decided I could not wait that long and she has released me to sign up sooner. We will now have 1½ years together, and then I will enlist. I am bound to my word I gave to her until she releases me from it.

While what you said is noble - what are you going to do when it's time to grab your shit and deploy. And I mean, literally - grab your shit and walk out the door with a 30 second goodbye. "Sorry, babe - I gotta go. No I don't know where I'm going, or when I'll get back, nor would I tell you if I did know. I'll call when I can. Don't forget to pay the rent."

If she has as much input on your decisions as you state - the military as a whole is not for you.

Personally, I was already in the Army when I got married. I told my fiancee point blank there are two rules. Rule #1: Do not ever make me late. Rule #2: Decisions about my career are mine, not ours.

You might consider having a long discussion with your fiancee. If she's meant to be, then she'll agree. If she won't agree, you might not be meant to be a Soldier, much less a Ranger.

Dos centavos.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92

Return to “Introduction Archive”