Teaching kids about veterans

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Silverback wrote:... How many members here have volunteered time at a School or a church group?

.. Instead of bitching about the Decline of the western civilizations...get involved!
Every year I speak to all the classes individually at the school my daughters attend. The kids really get into it. I talk for about 15 minutes and get over an hour's worth of questions. Last year, the eighth grade English teacher called my about a week after my visit to her class and told me that over half the class chose Starship Troopers for their book reports.

So I get involved, but I also like to bitch about the way some things are.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Black 6
Ranger

Post by Black 6 »

Silverback wrote: ... When is the last time any of you has worn your class-A uniform to church or any other function?...

They don't make enough button extenders in the world for me to fit into that monkey suit again. Besides, mine looks very plain compared to a E-1's now a days.
2/75 Blacksheep 92-93, 1/9 93-94
1759 society member

"You will know me by the scars I bear.
You will know me by the hate I swear."-OTEP

01010011 01110000 01100001 01110010 01110100 01100001 01101110 00101111 01001000 01100101 01110010 01101111 00101110
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Ranger Bill wrote:
Silverback wrote:... How many members here have volunteered time at a School or a church group?

.. Instead of bitching about the Decline of the western civilizations...get involved!
Every year I speak to all the classes individually at the school my daughters attend. The kids really get into it. I talk for about 15 minutes and get over an hour's worth of questions. Last year, the eighth grade English teacher called my about a week after my visit to her class and told me that over half the class chose Starship Troopers for their book reports.

So I get involved, but I also like to bitch about the way some things are.
Thak you for your continued service!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

I have volunteered to be a room Mom :lol: in my little Hooahs Kindergaten class, among other things.

I can't wait, to read stories to those heathens!!!! 8)
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

I have volunteered to be a room Mom
There's a picture I'd like to see. Luna in an apron handing out milk and cookies... :D
reluctant civilian
Tadpole

Post by reluctant civilian »

I have alway volunteered at my kids school. Last year I set up my daughters third grade class with a soldier to adopt. They wrote letters and picked out things to send throughout the year.

Another great program to get involved with is Boys and Girls State through the American Legion. I went this past summer as a city mom. It is very worthwhile.

My concern is, is it enough.
If these kids only see it once or twice a year at school, but is never reinforced, will it stick. I like the idea of it being incorporated as part of the curriculum, but that may be wishful thinking.
U.S. Army 1993-1998
U.S. Army Reserve 2000- 2002
Married my Ranger in 1996.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us."
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

reluctant civilian wrote:I have alway volunteered at my kids school. Last year I set up my daughters third grade class with a soldier to adopt. They wrote letters and picked out things to send throughout the year.

Another great program to get involved with is Boys and Girls State through the American Legion. I went this past summer as a city mom. It is very worthwhile.

My concern is, is it enough.
If these kids only see it once or twice a year at school, but is never reinforced, will it stick. I like the idea of it being incorporated as part of the curriculum, but that may be wishful thinking.
The fact that you are DOING something, no matter how big/small you think it may be, is what is important. It is up to them, to take what they want from it.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

hobbit wrote:The park ranger at the gate that day was a young female, about 24, probably fresh from graduate school at Berkeley or Cal State Humboldt.

"Two?" she said, peering into Len's pickup truck, "That'll be $10 for a day pass for two and $8 for the boat launching fee."

"There's a POW pass on the windshield right there on the corner," I told her, pointing at the decal.

Len sat behind the wheel and said nothing.

The young woman scrutinized the decal and pronounced that she'd never seen one before. "What is that?" she asked.

"It's a free pass decal," I said.

I know it's a decal!" she spat back. Why do you have a free parks pass," she continued.

"I'm a former POW," Len interjected, "The state gives free parks passes to former POW's."

"A POW?" she said, "And just what is a POW?"

That was the straw. It wasn't just the smarmy attitude she'd copped, it was the gross insult to Len. The little bitch knew very well what a POW was, but like so many of her contemporaries on or fresh from Northern California campuses, she'd been taught to revile anything associated with the US military, and to condescend to those tainted with such experiences. What she was really saying to us was, "I don't give a fuck if you were a POW; I don't think they should give you a free park pass because of it."

"You couldn't possibly be that fucking stupid!" I yelled, using all the tact of a drill sergeant jumping on a day-old recruit. That really scared her. She turned red as a beet and called over her walkie-talkie for the head ranger to come up to the gate. He brought three other rangers with him, anticipating trouble I suppose. After hearing what was going on, he was sympathetic and waved us into the park. He promised he'd give his rangers an impromptu sensitivity talk on just what POW's were and why they've earned the measly perks our nation gives them.

I didn't hold my breath.
Holy shit! Bitch is lucky you didn't go Mach 5 right through the plexiglass and grab her by the throat!
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic

Return to “The Mosh Pit”