RIP Memories

Eight weeks of smoke, training & evaluation.
IntelToad
Ranger

RIP Memories

Post by IntelToad »

As a tabless IntelToad, RIP was the highlight of my Ranger career. Still, two memories stick out (from November-December 1985.)

1) SSG Grenier yelling "strut, strut, strut bitch" when calling cadence.

2) SSG Scurka (sp?) drawing "666" in the steam on the chow-hall windows while the Chaplain spoke during breakfast...then making helpless souls jump with the "death doll," a plastic baby doll with the face painted purple, a rope around its neck and a plastic knife embedded in its chest. The poor slob that jumped with it got messed up on the jump.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
deleon275
Ranger

Post by deleon275 »

My fondest memory:

"Hit the woodline".

Nuff said.
"When you look at this final agreement that we came to with the White House, I got 98 percent of what I wanted. I’m pretty happy." John Boehner

''If we took away the minimum wage — if conceivably it was gone — we could potentially virtually wipe out unemployment completely because we would be able to offer jobs at whatever level.''
Antrim
US Army Veteran

Post by Antrim »

I had a few memories from RIP, more along the batshit insane stuff that just totally threw everyone for a loop.

1: I learned how to Koalafy myself!

2: I learned what pot liquor was, and that lima bean pot liquor fucking sucks!

3: When we were out for land nav, one of the guys threw out a little bit of water instead of drinking it. He had to get down and do 100 pushups over this small little pool of water and each time he went down, he'd have to kiss the water and say "I'm sorry water".

4: We had a guy named Fraunfelder in our class. Frauny was from Switzerland, and the fucker ran the two mile run in just under 9 minutes. He was born in Pittsburgh but moved to Switzerland when he was 3 months old with his family. He had this horrible Swiss accent that the cadre were always giving him shit about. They'd fuck with him all the time, asking him retarded questions to see what he'd say. He had no knowledge of any English slang, let alone the red neck shit they were coming up with. Anyway, we had corn with our chow one of the nights we were out for land nav. They asked him if he had ever had corn in his shit before, and he was baffled at the question. So one of us was assigned to make sure he checked his shit for corn in it the next day.

5: The RIP commander at the time I went through (back in '90) was SFC Kelly. I met him during my first week in holdover while waiting for the next class to start. He was in his office whistling the tune "whistle while you work" for about 5 minutes as he did something, I don't recall wtf he was doing. Anyway, all of a sudden his coffee mug explodes on the wall above my head in the next room and he burst into a fit of rage about something. I promptly took cover behind the CQ desk in case any more projectiles were inbound.

6: I was in the last class to go through RIP in the old Airborne barracks at the top of cardiac hill (the one leading to the air field). We pulled gaurd duty on them after we moved out and into the new barracks which were riight next to Regiment HQ at that time. Someone busted into a wall in one of the old barracks and found a huge stash of airborne pictures and those old airborne class books that you can buy when you go through jump school, all of them were dated during WW2. We scarfed it all up, I still have some of them. They're pretty cool.

Even though I didn't pass RIP (was recycled after completing it the first time, then suffered a stress fracture the second time during the 12 mile road march), it's still the most memorable three months of my life. I spent the summer of '90 on the RIP compound, and enjoyed every single second of it. :)
Bell

Post by Bell »

Antrim, you need to go to introductions and do so. We'd like to know who we're talking to.

RLTW
Bell
Antrim
US Army Veteran

Post by Antrim »

Bell wrote:Antrim, you need to go to introductions and do so. We'd like to know who we're talking to.

RLTW
Bell
Roger that Ranger Bell, on it now.
Last edited by Antrim on May 31st, 2004, 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Antrim wrote:
Bell wrote:Antrim, you need to go to introductions and do so. We'd like to know who we're talking to.

RLTW
Bell
Roger that, on it now.
Antrim, You will not disrespect Ranger Bell again. You will address him as Ranger Bell. You will say, "Roger that Ranger Bell, on it now. or Ranger Bell, Roger that, on it now!"

You shall heed the advice to two Rangers, telling you to make an introduction and now you have made another post without an intro. Man up!
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Antrim
US Army Veteran

Post by Antrim »

Roger that Ranger Steadfast. Introduction posted. Previous post fixed.
D co 4/12 INF - 1st AD ('90-'92)
A co 1/9 CAV - 1st CD ('92-'94)

Post by Parabellum »

All I have to say is...The basketball court in Aug, "Get down RIP!".
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
jakeshoe
Ranger

Post by jakeshoe »

That ain't no chit H8..

They smoked us on the road from the Infantry school and RIP, fresh blacktop. Middle of June..

Blisters on our feets, blisters on our hands.

Never forget the couple or three RIP'ees that were late coming back from land nav the last day at Cole range. We were WARNED NOT to be late coming back, that the buses would be waiting.

Those fuqsticks were at least an hour late.

We did PU, flutterkicks, moutnain climbers, rifle PT, for the entire time, middle of tha afternoon.
I never thought that I could drench the dirt with sweat in the front leaning rest enough to literally make a puddle.
Aco/HHC 2/75 95-99
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

Holy fucking shit Antrim, we were in the same RIP class.

Martin Farenfield, he changed his name from Fraunfelder, and i are still in touch today. he is a Major now and a super spook for an OGA.
He and i were in the same sqd in 3/75 and in Rgr School.

Were you still in RIP for the pugil training?
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
DocDaigle

Post by DocDaigle »

H8 Train wrote:All I have to say is...The basketball court in Aug, "Get down RIP!".
Try SSG Strucker smoking us after the road march. Our task was to complete 100 three count excersises in perfect unison. If one person was out of cadence or missed and count during the rep, we had to start over. I think it was finally accomplished with arm flutterkicks after the 8th hour. Damm did that day suck.
RGR W. Beals
Ranger

Post by RGR W. Beals »

Either you guys are making me feel old or you are all just a bunch of young whipper snappers! :lol:
RGR School class 2/77. A/NCOIC RIP 2/75th
A/2/75 from 11/75 to 7/79
number77
Embryo

Post by number77 »

Thats pretty cool Antrim, so many people went through so much pain. Did it seem like they left them their on purpose?
I'm still laughing about the "I'm sorry water."

:D
Rgr_MindRiot

Post by Rgr_MindRiot »

Dam, RIP sounds like fun, sorry i missed it. Did have much fun smoking cherries before there was RIP. The sadist in me would have loved to be a RIP instructor. :twisted:

Return to “About RASP”