Time urgency for signing Option 40?

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Jacob
Embryo

Time urgency for signing Option 40?

Post by Jacob »

Hi, new to the message board. As I posted in my intro, I'm graduating from college in May and trying to decide among enlisted Army (Option 40), enlisted USMC Infantry, and USMC Officer.

Option 40 is the lead candidate right now. I'm in touch with the local Army recruiter, and he's implying that if I want to get the contract and ship out this summer I should get to MEPS ASAP. However, I'm not 100% sure that I want this rather than the Marines. I'd like a bit more time to think about my options.

The question is: Provided that I want to ship this summer (as early as possible), how soon do I need to get to MEPS? Will my chances of getting Option 40 be much less if I go in (for example) late February instead of mid January?

Thank you for your time,
Jake
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Rangers have been a part of the US military for a looooong time. Hopefully, they'll be here for a long time to come. If there is a single cell in your body that is unsure of a Ranger commitment....please do not waste the slot. You will likely fail. I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just telling you like it is. If you don't want it more than anything else in the world, you won't ever make it. You get to become a Ranger by having intestinal fortitude, not by being strong, fast, and smart. Those are necessary traits, but guts and determination are the only things that will earn the Tan Beret. You might want to visit that Marine Recruiter....
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

the longer the gap between contract date and ship date, the better chance of securing an option 40.

however, Ranger Earthpig's advice was spot on. no need to waste the slot if you're not totally commited.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

The Marines are considered to be crack troops.
The Rangers are elite troops.
If you go the officer route your goal should be to become a General otherwise, why be an officer?
And finally...there are GIRLS in the Marines.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Kelly-Belly
Tadpole

Post by Kelly-Belly »

Kilted Heathen wrote:The Marines are considered to be crack troops.
If you go the officer route your goal should be to become a General otherwise, why be an officer?
Damn right..... :wink: Ranger Kilted Heathen, when did you say you wanted to come run with me? LOL :lol: 8) You know I love ya! :wink:
Kelly

This should be you...that they call Incredible...
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

Kelly-Jelly wrote:
Damn right..... :wink: Ranger Kilted Heathen, when did you say you wanted to come run with me? LOL :lol: 8) You know I love ya! :wink:
Don't get too cocky there baby sister :lol: :lol: :lol: OH BTW

GO WAR EAGLES!!!
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
Jacob
Embryo

Post by Jacob »

Damn that's some speedy response time. Thank you Rangers for the replies. You're right--better to take some time and be 100% certain. If I wait a month or two to sign and can't ship right after graduation, I'll just find a job and work until my ship date.

Mostly out of curiosity: SFC hit-it and anyone else in the know, if I take more time to decide and go to MEPS in mid February, do you think there's a good chance that I can get Option 40 with a June or July ship date? I realize there's no real way of knowing, but an educated guess would help. If it matters, I'll be a college grad and I'm confident that I'll have good ASVAB scores.

Thanks again,
Jake
Last edited by Jacob on January 4th, 2005, 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Planned Panic
Soldier

Post by Planned Panic »

PM sent
"If you're going through hell.. keep going"-Winston Churchill.

4/25th, 1/40 Cav-2005-present
Jacob
Embryo

Post by Jacob »

Thanks, Planned Panic. Post edited to include proper title for SFC hit_it.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

if your enrolled in school, you get a ship date for after you finish. and whenever there's an option 40 available.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Kelly-Jelly wrote:
Just because you'll look better in yer Blues makes you no less a fuckin' jarhead in my book! :P
God only fuckin' made Marines so that Sailors would have someone to dance with anyway. :D
And the only reason to consider Marines over Ranger is that although a Ranger may get blown out of his foxhole a lucky Marine just might get blown in his foxhole! :D
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

Kilted Heathen wrote:
Kelly-Jelly wrote:
Just because you'll look better in yer Blues makes you no less a fuckin' jarhead in my book! :P
God only fuckin' made Marines so that Sailors would have someone to dance with anyway. :D
And the only reason to consider Marines over Ranger is that although a Ranger may get blown out of his foxhole a lucky Marine just might get blown in his foxhole! :D
or blow someone in his foxhole.... :lol:
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

Kilted Heathen wrote:Just because you'll look better in yer Blues makes you no less a fuckin' jarhead in my book! :P
:lol: :lol: :lol: THATS SOME FUNNY ASS SHIT :lol: :lol: :lol: KH I take everything I EVER said about R.I.'s .......... :shock: well I just won't say it as much is all :twisted:

with the exception of Leatherneck and KellyBelly and a few select others, I fuckin can't stand Marines, they talk BIG SHIT, Quit even faster (went to Ranger School with 2 guys from Force Recon, all I heard was Force Recon this and Force Recon that had to help one of the fuckers on the land nav course.......... 10 days later there was one "less" motherfucker from Force Recon), and can't speak worth a fuck...... Owel Lefff Rrighht
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:

Return to “Recruitment Process”