the jump into the field problem in Florida

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
fatboy
Ranger

the jump into the field problem in Florida

Post by fatboy »

Anyone else get the experience of being put at the back of their chalk for the jump into the field problem in florida because they had more than 10 jumps and had experience in avoiding some type of obstacles on the trail edge of the drop zone?
RS 07 and 08-01 (I took the long tour in Florida)

1-508 ABCT
1-327IN
101st Pathfinder DS1
Iraqi Freedom 03-04, 05-06, 07-08
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

no but I had real fun on my jump at Benning.

got a door position in a C-130 that made me happy as a pig in shit because I'm a fucking lawn dart and could beat most of the stick to the ground from the back of the stick. So I'm thinking the only thing I have to worry about are K-pots and Rucks burning in on top of me (based on watching the cherries Pre-Jump).

so I exit and open, no worries, look back towards the rest of the jumpers, yep, K-pot #1.

turn towards the turn in point to cut down on the walking part, everything's cool. no, not cool. helmetless drone who seems to be a bigger fucking lawndart than me is floating right at me. eye contact and everything. mouthbreathing his way right to me. I start a slip, yell at him to slip. yell again what direction he needs to slip. yell again that it's really in his best interest to get the fuck away from me as I wished I had a -1C so I could dump air and get under and away from him.

so he finally slips away, and I drop mine. except that fuckstick never lets his go, and he 360's back into me again. so we discuss things again.

after I landed I yelled over to him, "how many jumps do you have?"

"24"

"where the fuck are you from?!"

"82nd"

"fucking figures, dumbass!"

RI at the turn in point is all pumped up and asks how the jump went. I said it sucked. that pissed him off and he asked why. so I told him. he asked if I knew the skygod's name. said no, but I remembered his face. RI said, why don't you go have a talk with him. ok...
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

At Benning when jumped into, I think Arkamn, from helos and one of the birds after had a major fuck up. The JM heard execute execute execute and started trying to push people out of the bird. One small problem, they weren’t anywhere near the drop zone. I think the one batboy on the bird managed to not be pushed out in the pines.
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

My first jump at Benning as an RI, myself and Mad Max were walking off the DZ when a couple of RIs that were behind us yelled LOOK OUT!!! just then a k-pot hit the ground about two feet away from us. I looked up and saw a jumper with twists without a helmet on, so I secured the helmet and we waited for this jackass to hit the ground. We had planned on low crawling this turdburgular to the turn-in point and back, but to our dismay, it was a Columbian LT that worked in the 3 shop. I asked him how he lost his helmet and his reply was. (your gonna love this one) "I had twists in my risers, so I took it off" Stunned by that answer. I said to him (very calmly of course, cause I'm a nice guy) You only have two pieces of protection when you exit an aircraft and one of them wasn't working, so you took the other one off?, how stupid is that? He had a weight problem and was sent elsewhere not too long after that.
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
LRSD Ranger
Ranger

Post by LRSD Ranger »

I had a chute lose a tuck on the jump into FL, or was it the reserve, I can't recall, but a corner was showing out of one of the folds and I said soemthing to the JM, who sat me down. Later on the ground I got asked how many jumps I had, which at that time had been ABN about a year and probably had 12-15 jumps and told them so. Guess they thought I was chicken shit or something.....but I'm not stupid, better to sit down than potentially get torn in half!!! :shock:
Active Duty 1993-1996
25th LRSD Dec 1993-March 1996
Ranger School Class 7-95
Team 4, 25th LRSD
battleforcebulldog
Ranger

Horned Toad, 1992 Ledo Drop Zone

Post by battleforcebulldog »

I think those guys were in my platoon. They were lucky they were all experienced jumpers not doing their 6th jump like me. The jumpmaster that sent them out early ended up in the Scout Platoon in my Battalion later. I ended up in the trees that same jump. Hurt my ankle and had to recycle, but I think they were all OK. Another note, the guys that had jumped a few times were bitching about the wind on the PZ. CSM Purdy called them all pussies. Purdy then put on a chute and jumped. He came back later with a huge limp still calling them pussies. I still get a chuckle out of that today.
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Re: Horned Toad, 1992 Ledo Drop Zone

Post by The Holmchicken »

battleforcebulldog wrote:I think those guys were in my platoon. They were lucky they were all experienced jumpers not doing their 6th jump like me. The jumpmaster that sent them out early ended up in the Scout Platoon in my Battalion later. I ended up in the trees that same jump. Hurt my ankle and had to recycle, but I think they were all OK. Another note, the guys that had jumped a few times were bitching about the wind on the PZ. CSM Purdy called them all pussies. Purdy then put on a chute and jumped. He came back later with a huge limp still calling them pussies. I still get a chuckle out of that today.

You need to go and post an intro in the intro section before you post again.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”