Cadet Intro

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

charleybird
Embryo

Cadet Intro

Post by charleybird »

Hello, Rangers. I am a 20-year-old college student, currently attending Army ROTC as an MS-II.

At the moment, I am looking into entering the SMP program as an 11B, in order to get as much training and Army experience as possible. I am also reading any books I can find that will help prepare me for platoon leadership. Going through the West Point reading list right now.

I look forward to serving in the Army. While I haven't decided what branch to pursue, this site has been a great source of motivation and education. Thank you for making it available.
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Welcome to the site.
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Table of Elements Skater
Future Soldier

Post by Table of Elements Skater »

Welcome, pm inbound.
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

Welcome.
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
msg_dman
Ranger

Post by msg_dman »

Welcome
Ranger Class # 12-89
Merrills PSG 89-90
C/Co 4th RTB 90-92
USASOC Ft Bragg 01-06
Retired 1 Feb 2006

In Memory of 1LT Ben Hall - KIA 31 July 2007
Hoover
Ranger

Post by Hoover »

Welcome........
2/75 C Co. 81-84
Ranger Class 14-82
"Cry Havoc Let Slip The Dogs of War"
1st SPWAR Tng Bn (Abn) USAJFKSWCS 87'
RLTW !
Mentor to J.P. Deepwater
RIP Class 02-07
Ranger Class 09-07
Bell

Post by Bell »

Welcome to the site.

RLTW
Bell
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Re: Cadet Intro

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

charleybird wrote:Hello, Rangers. I am a 20-year-old college student, currently attending Army ROTC as an MS-II.

At the moment, I am looking into entering the SMP program as an 11B, in order to get as much training and Army experience as possible. I am also reading any books I can find that will help prepare me for platoon leadership. Going through the West Point reading list right now.

I look forward to serving in the Army. While I haven't decided what branch to pursue, this site has been a great source of motivation and education. Thank you for making it available.

Good luck with the SMP program. Hope that works the way it should. Sometimes, it doesnt. 3rd LT's are sometimes treated like like dirt bags and slugs....(which they are in many cases) however, the idea is to shadow a Platoon Leader, touch, feel, smell, hear, and observe the PL's role. Seek guidance from Non-coms, ask questions, DO NOT be a wall flower.
Drive on.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Abell9 wrote:
charleybird wrote:Hello, Rangers. I am a 20-year-old college student, currently attending Army ROTC as an MS-II.

Good luck with the SMP program. Hope that works the way it should. Sometimes, it doesnt. 3rd LT's are sometimes treated like like dirt bags and slugs....(which they are in many cases) however, the idea is to shadow a Platoon Leader, touch, feel, smell, hear, and observe the PL's role. Seek guidance from Non-coms, ask questions, DO NOT be a wall flower.
Drive on.
What the pastor says is correct. Now tell us more about yourself. What unit are you assigned to? Where do you go to school?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
charleybird
Embryo

Post by charleybird »

Jim wrote:What the pastor says is correct. Now tell us more about yourself. What unit are you assigned to? Where do you go to school?
Ranger Jim, I have not yet signed the dotted line for SMP, so I'm not in a unit yet. I made a post in the Recruitment forum that goes into this in more detail; http://www.armyranger.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=18364

The NG recruiter says that I would be assigned to either the 1/181 Infantry Regiment or the 1/182 Infantry Regiment (Mechanized.) After Thanksgiving, I plan to ask if I can visit each of these units at drill.

I'm in the ROTC program at Northeastern University, though I attend the Berklee College of Music, both in Boston.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Abell9 wrote:

Drive on.
Make sure you let everyone know that you are in charge :twisted:
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

charleybird wrote:
Jim wrote:What the pastor says is correct. Now tell us more about yourself. What unit are you assigned to? Where do you go to school?
Ranger Jim, I have not yet signed the dotted line for SMP, so I'm not in a unit yet. I made a post in the Recruitment forum that goes into this in more detail; http://www.armyranger.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=18364

The NG recruiter says that I would be assigned to either the 1/181 Infantry Regiment or the 1/182 Infantry Regiment (Mechanized.) After Thanksgiving, I plan to ask if I can visit each of these units at drill.

I'm in the ROTC program at Northeastern University, though I attend the Berklee College of Music, both in Boston.

And heed this. The NG does the WORST job of training SMP's. Typically, SMP's end up sitting around all day making coffee, sweeping floors, ect. If you want to be good, you have to inject yourself into the learning process. Dont wait till it comes to you. Ask questions, take notes, listen...(per prior commo) DO NOT be a wall flower and wait around wanting something to happen.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Welcome

RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

charleybird wrote:

Here's a question for you.

You could go to your other thread to copy and paste the link, why didn't you just copy and paste the info that Jim asked for?

Instead, he is going to click on this thread to read your post here, "then" he has to click the link to go read what you posted somewhere else to get his answers when the question was asked here!

Not a good move. Do you think when you get to your unit and someone asks you a question they want to go get their own answers? I think not! Because if they wanted to do that, they wouldn't have asked "YOU" the question in the first place!
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

...and he hits him with a left hook and charleybird is down!!! One...Two....Three... :lol:
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant

Return to “Introduction Archive”