ROTC Training Question

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
charleybird
Embryo

ROTC Training Question

Post by charleybird »

Hello, I've read the armyranger.com for a while, but this is my first non-intro post. I'm an ROTC cadet and I'm trying to decide what course to take with regards to commissioning. After a lot of thought, these are the two best options I've come up with.

1) I can take a GRFD SMP Guard scholarship, which allows me to go to 11B OSUT and drill with a local infantry unit.

Pros: Additional experience and training.

Cons: Incurs an 8 year service obligation to the Guard - if I go active before that time, I have to pay back my whole scholarship.

2) Attend the four-week Leader's Training Course at Ft. Knox, get an active-duty scholarship, and possibly go to Airborne school.

Pros: Opportunity for airborne schools, allows me to go Active Duty.

Cons: No chance to get the concentrated training OSUT offers, and the chance to get additional experience on the weekends while in the Guard.

Another cadet that went with option #1, and said "You need to go through the same stuff your men do." That kinda stuck with me. And, to be honest, I could probably use some of the attention drill sergeants give. The only problem is, I'd be stuck in the Guard for eight years. It's not the service obligation that concerns me; it's that I wouldn't get nearly as much leadership experience being a weekend warrior.

On the other hand, LTC is supposed to be more geared toward officer candidates. It's only four weeks (and I hear the drill sergeants can't even smoke you there,) but going there would at least allow me to go active duty. I'd also have extra time to do some of the specialty schools ROTC offers, like airborne and RS.

Both options help me pay for college, but I'm not sure which will be best for preparing me for leadership, which is what is most important right now. Ranger School is my goal. I'd like the chance to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment as well, but if I end up in the Guard, it's a moot point anyway. If anyone who is currently serving or has served could provide some insight, I would really appreciate it.

I wasn't sure where this post should go, exactly. If this is in the wrong forum, I apologize, and thank you for your time, Rangers.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

If you don't want to contract and commission with the Gaurd, take the Active ROTC Scholarship.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

can you go for the Active scholarship and still join the guard, do a split option Basic, then AIT next summer and then SMP when you contract with ROTC?

and depending on what state you're in, just ignore the scholarship, join the guard w/ a good OSUT date, or split option, and get the tuition picked up by the state (state school), then go active when you commision.

I admit I have no idea what's happening w/ ROTC and/or NG, but you don't seem to have listed all the options that may really be available. Talk to your PMS and a NG/Res. recruiter if you haven't yet. don't settle on a course of action til you have all the facts.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: ROTC Training Question

Post by Jim »

[quote="charleybird"]

Another cadet that went with option #1, and said "You need to go through the same stuff your men do." That kinda stuck with me. And, to be honest, I could probably use some of the attention drill sergeants give. The only problem is, I'd be stuck in the Guard for eight years. It's not the service obligation that concerns me; it's that I wouldn't get nearly as much leadership experience being a weekend warrior.quote]

On the other hand, you could take the option of deploying with an activated ARNG unit. Your own or volunteer to go with another.

Bottom line is to tell you not to be hasty. Continue to study, read all the FAQs and continue to post only worthwhile entries.
charleybird
Embryo

Post by charleybird »

KW Driver wrote:can you go for the Active scholarship and still join the guard, do a split option Basic, then AIT next summer and then SMP when you contract with ROTC?

and depending on what state you're in, just ignore the scholarship, join the guard w/ a good OSUT date, or split option, and get the tuition picked up by the state (state school), then go active when you commision.

I admit I have no idea what's happening w/ ROTC and/or NG, but you don't seem to have listed all the options that may really be available. Talk to your PMS and a NG/Res. recruiter if you haven't yet. don't settle on a course of action til you have all the facts.
Ranger KW Driver, I went and asked the recruiter about that. Apparently, the only issue with going split-option is that I must contract with ROTC in Fall of '06 to stay in the program. Contracting with ROTC terminates my enlisted state with to the Guard and would stop me from going to AIT. As for ignoring the scholarship, I hadn't considered that - I will do more research on what other methods of tuition assistance are available.
Jim wrote:On the other hand, you could take the option of deploying with an activated ARNG unit. Your own or volunteer to go with another.

Bottom line is to tell you not to be hasty. Continue to study, read all the FAQs and continue to post only worthwhile entries.
Ranger Jim, what I am wondering most about with the NG is how it'll affect the amount of time I get as a platoon leader, and opportunities to train. Most of the information I've gotten about it comes from either the official NG websites or the NG recruiter.

I contacted the recruiter yesterday, and he said that he would arrange to let me visit these units at drill. I will also ask about available slots and NG benefits. Should I return with a SITREP, or just drive on?
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

charleybird wrote:
Jim wrote:im"]On the other hand, you could take the option of deploying with an activated ARNG unit. Your own or volunteer to go with another.

Ranger Jim, what I am wondering most about with the NG is how it'll affect the amount of time I get as a platoon leader, and opportunities to train. Most of the information I've gotten about it comes from either the official NG websites or the NG recruiter.

I contacted the recruiter yesterday, and he said that he would arrange to let me visit these units at drill. I will also ask about available slots and NG benefits. Should I return with a SITREP, or just drive on?

By all means, visit the units. Hopefully, it will give you a taste of how they operate. SITREP or PM is fine.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “Recruitment Process”