Cadet Intro

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

charleybird
Embryo

Post by charleybird »

Understood, Ranger AbnRgr289. Here's the content of that link.

Hello, I've read the armyranger.com for a while, but this is my first non-intro post. I'm an ROTC cadet and I'm trying to decide what course to take with regards to commissioning. After a lot of thought, these are the two best options I've come up with.

1) I can take a GRFD SMP Guard scholarship, which allows me to go to 11B OSUT and drill with a local infantry unit.

Pros: Additional experience and training.

Cons: Incurs an 8 year service obligation to the Guard - if I go active before that time, I have to pay back my whole scholarship.

2) Attend the four-week Leader's Training Course at Ft. Knox, get an active-duty scholarship, and possibly go to Airborne school.

Pros: Opportunity for airborne schools, allows me to go Active Duty.

Cons: No chance to get the concentrated training OSUT offers, and the chance to get additional experience on the weekends while in the Guard.

Another cadet that went with option #1, and said "You need to go through the same stuff your men do." That kinda stuck with me. And, to be honest, I could probably use some of the attention drill sergeants give. The only problem is, I'd be stuck in the Guard for eight years. It's not the service obligation that concerns me; it's that I wouldn't get nearly as much leadership experience being a weekend warrior.

On the other hand, LTC is supposed to be more geared toward officer candidates. It's only four weeks (and I hear the drill sergeants can't even smoke you there,) but going there would at least allow me to go active duty. I'd also have extra time to do some of the specialty schools ROTC offers, like airborne and RS.

Both options help me pay for college, but I'm not sure which will be best for preparing me for leadership, which is what is most important right now. Ranger School is my goal. I'd like the chance to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment as well, but if I end up in the Guard, it's a moot point anyway. If anyone who is currently serving or has served could provide some insight, I would really appreciate it.

I wasn't sure where this post should go, exactly. If this is in the wrong forum, I apologize, and thank you for your time, Rangers.
Ardent Lady
Tadpole

Post by Ardent Lady »

Welcome to the site. Thank you for stepping up to serve our nation!
Reverend Mother of the Church of The Yellow River

The ultimate effect of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
--Herbert Spencer
VAK
USAF Veteran

Post by VAK »

charleybird wrote:Understood, Ranger AbnRgr289. Here's the content of that link.

Hello, I've read the armyranger.com for a while, but this is my first non-intro post. I'm an ROTC cadet and I'm trying to decide what course to take with regards to commissioning. After a lot of thought, these are the two best options I've come up with.

1) I can take a GRFD SMP Guard scholarship, which allows me to go to 11B OSUT and drill with a local infantry unit.

Cons: Incurs an 8 year service obligation to the Guard - if I go active before that time, I have to pay back my whole scholarship.

2) Attend the four-week Leader's Training Course at Ft. Knox, get an active-duty scholarship, and possibly go to Airborne school.

Cons: No chance to get the concentrated training OSUT offers, and the chance to get additional experience on the weekends while in the Guard.

Another cadet that went with option #1, and said "You need to go through the same stuff your men do." That kinda stuck with me. And, to be honest, I could probably use some of the attention drill sergeants give. The only problem is, I'd be stuck in the Guard for eight years. It's not the service obligation that concerns me; it's that I wouldn't get nearly as much leadership experience being a weekend warrior.

On the other hand, LTC is supposed to be more geared toward officer candidates. It's only four weeks (and I hear the drill sergeants can't even smoke you there,) but going there would at least allow me to go active duty. I'd also have extra time to do some of the specialty schools ROTC offers, like airborne and RS.

Both options help me pay for college, but I'm not sure which will be best for preparing me for leadership, which is what is most important right now. Ranger School is my goal. I'd like the chance to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment as well, but if I end up in the Guard, it's a moot point anyway. If anyone who is currently serving or has served could provide some insight, I would really appreciate it.

I wasn't sure where this post should go, exactly. If this is in the wrong forum, I apologize, and thank you for your time, Rangers.

You lazy ass, he just asked you for the pertinent information-not the entire post to be copied... Do you have some problem following instructions or are you trying to make him annoyed reading all of that extra crap, over and over again?

Try and fix your shit before posting further.
"Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
(Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe)

Mentor to those who would seek to be CAS God's
LRP1
Ranger Hall of Fame

Post by LRP1 »

Welcome.....Eyes wide Open...Ears unplugged.....Mouth Shut....See..Hear..and act accordingly........HOOAH?
HHC 2/502 Recondo 66 -67 RVN
1FFV Echo LRP 20th INF (ABN) 67 - 68
Team 1 1
Satan's Playboys
From Hell We Rise
B Co Omega Recon CCS RT Hammer
75Th RRA Life Member 2189
Special Operations Association Member 2907-GA
Secretary, Worldwide Army Rangers, Inc

Professional Soldiers Are Predictable; The World Is full Of Dangerous Amateurs.
Stew86
Tadpole

Post by Stew86 »

Welcome fellow Cadet, PM sent.
BAC Class 38-06

"He who speaks on his own does so to gain honor for himself, but he who works for the honor is a man of truth; there is nothing false about him."
-John 7:18
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

VAK wrote:
charleybird wrote:Understood, Ranger AbnRgr289. Here's the content of that link.

You lazy ass, he just asked you for the pertinent information-not the entire post to be copied... Do you have some problem following instructions or are you trying to make him annoyed reading all of that extra crap, over and over again?

Try and fix your shit before posting further.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Cadet Intro

Post by Jim »

charleybird wrote:
Jim wrote:What the pastor says is correct. Now tell us more about yourself. What unit are you assigned to? Where do you go to school?
Ranger Jim, I have not yet signed the dotted line for SMP, so I'm not in a unit yet. I made a post in the Recruitment forum that goes into this in more detail; http://www.armyranger.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=18364

The NG recruiter says that I would be assigned to either the 1/181 Infantry Regiment or the 1/182 Infantry Regiment (Mechanized.) After Thanksgiving, I plan to ask if I can visit each of these units at drill.

I'm in the ROTC program at Northeastern University, though I attend the Berklee College of Music, both in Boston.
Thanks All.
charleybird,
You are not answering the question. I responded to your note in recruiting. Now, let me tell you a little bit about the units you are talking about. They are both part of the 26th Infantry Brigade (MAARNG) that was restructured because the MAARNG was unable to keep up its manpower levels. It is one of three infantry brigades in the 29th Infantry Division (Light) headquartered right here at Fort Belvoir, VA. Do they (181 & 182 IN) have open slots? What are the ARNG recruiters willing to offer? Now in the event you are unable to find some bit of information you have two options:
1. Send me a PM and I will research it for you. I ask that you not waste my, or any other Ranger's, time.
2. STFU and don't waste our time with your BS.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
charleybird
Embryo

Post by charleybird »

I have contracted and decided to take the active duty scholarship.

While this ruled out the option of SMP, it opened up the opportunity to attend schools during the summer such as Airborne or AMWS, which are normally closed to SMP cadets. It also allows me to go active duty, which I would not have necessarily been able to do before due to limitations on the scholarship.

As of this update, I am an MS3, and preparing to attend LDAC at Fort Lewis this summer.

I must also admit that I did not update my introduction until reminded by Ranger Jim. I am pushing now.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Check your PM!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
charleybird
Embryo

Updated SITREP

Post by charleybird »

SITREP;

Christmas break is about to come up, and there were a lot of firsts for me. The first time I ever got in front of a formation, the first time I ever really called cadence, and the first time I was put in a leadership position. Recently we had our first peer evaluations as well. For that, I visualized what would happen if the ROTC battalion actually ended up in combat somewhere, and thought about who I would trust the most to keep it together. I ended up ranked somewhere in the middle. I'm not quite sure what to take away from that, except to work harder and lead better.

We had our record APFT a few weeks ago. I did 69 pushups, 89 situps, and a 15:31 on the two-mile run. I will max the pushups next test, but my main concern is the run. I'm 5'10â€
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Listen bud, first off, you were given two choices over one year ago by Ranger Jim. Which one of them did you pick or fail to pick and heed.

Jim, I'm about 05 minutes from Northeastern and 10 from Berklee school for hippies if you need me to go assist this young man.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

Your PT sucks. Before you run your mouth about people not wanting to wake up in the morning to work out, you best get your own shit up to at least 290.

Now do some pushups.
charleybird
Embryo

Post by charleybird »

cams wrote:Listen bud, first off, you were given two choices over one year ago by Ranger Jim. Which one of them did you pick or fail to pick and heed.

Jim, I'm about 05 minutes from Northeastern and 10 from Berklee school for hippies if you need me to go assist this young man.
Ranger cams, I chose option 2. I did not want to waste any more of Ranger Jim's time and post further, when I could search from there on my own.

I should have replied and immediately made this clear. I have no excuse.
Matador275 wrote:Your PT sucks. Before you run your mouth about people not wanting to wake up in the morning to work out, you best get your own shit up to at least 290.

Now do some pushups.
Pushing, Ranger Matador275.
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Unless another Ranger ask's you a direct question, you have a lot of work ahead of you. Get to it. Go work on your PT, study your guides and read everything you can and then do more PT.

If you have time to post here then you have time to do more PT.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant

Return to “Introduction Archive”