PT

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
hayn808
Soldier

Post by hayn808 »

I think what Ranger BadMuther said is good for push ups. Me and my troops at work are doing reps of 30-40 every hour and at a incline by putting our feet on a chair. It seems to be working and it builds morale.If you keep doing it you will improve. We go back and forth by doing regular, diamond and wide arm pushups.
was 63B20H8. now 11B2P.stationed with A co 2-12 CAV/IN, 4-1 BCT, Ft. Bliss TX 68th ENG Co.99-04 Ft. Hood,TX,went to Iraq feb03-may03 61st maint co. Dec 03-Dec 04 Camp Kyle, Korea
AngryPistols
US Army Veteran

Post by AngryPistols »

Wolfman wrote:Something that also helps is moderate strength training. Bench presses,military presses, and weighted dips. No more than five reps, and no more than 2 sets a day or every other day if musclular endurance is your goal.
Please explain to us how you can get endurance out of this ‘five rep’ scenario.
Angry

USA 95B 84-87, TXARNG 91B 88-89, CIV 89-present

"Yet each man kills the thing he loves, some do it with a bitter look, some with a flattering word, the coward does it with a kiss, and the brave man with the sword. " -Oscar Wilde
AngryPistols
US Army Veteran

Post by AngryPistols »

Wolfman wrote:"Please explain to us how you can get endurance out of this ‘five rep’ scenario."

Angry Pistols, that is because as your slow twitch muscle fibers start to become fatigued your fast twitch muscle fibers begin to carry more of the load. That's why you'll see long distance bicycle racers on the leg press machine pressing 800 lbs. Strength training also increases your body's lactate threshold. I want to be clear that strength training should be secondary to endurance training if endurance is your goal, but you will go farther with it.

-This is more theoretical on my part.
All our muscle fibers are connected to a neuron called a motor unit. The motor unit is what activates the muscles fibers. Most people never use more than 10-20% of their muscle fibers at any time. Strength training when properly done using low reps and high weights will teach your body to stimulate more fibers per contraction. If this carries over to your slow twitch fibers, then each fiber will be carrying less load per contraction.
I was always led to that you must do both high reps & less weight for endurance and fewer reps & more weight for strength. This particular technique causes 'micro-tears' in the muscle fiber that has to constantly be rebuilt and the muscles don't know what you are gonna throw at 'em next. Hey, but I ain't know expert. I have only been strength training a short while and could stand a little edumacation. :roll:

Thanks,

Angry
Angry

USA 95B 84-87, TXARNG 91B 88-89, CIV 89-present

"Yet each man kills the thing he loves, some do it with a bitter look, some with a flattering word, the coward does it with a kiss, and the brave man with the sword. " -Oscar Wilde
HandJob of the Woods

weight vest

Post by HandJob of the Woods »

I once had a 40 lb weght vest (need to get another) and I would do everything in it. The only time it came off was sometimes for sleeping and in the shower. Some people can handle most the weight at once but, for those who do not have strong bodies (back, knees, joints especially) you can start by using 10 lbs and every couple days add 2 lbs till you are up to 40. I cant renember the exact name i used but it used tight fit rubber so it contured exactly too your body. Only bad thing that happened was whe me and a friend started wearing these to our martial arts class and our instructor found out. He was like "so you are telling me I am not training you hard enough" and then he tore us up for 4 hours. But, since we didnt bitch he allowed us to keep wearing them. All around body goodness if done right

Return to “About Army Physical Training”