I met an old Ranger...

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
se7en
Embryo

I met an old Ranger...

Post by se7en »

I had the privilege of attending a lecture given by a man many of you have most likely heard of.

Colonel Ralph Puckett, Jr. came by my psychology classroom as a favor to my professor (a former RI) to speak with us about the implications of leadership. His acts of bravery were almost smothered by his humble nature. Nonetheless, they were almost as amazing as his presence.

For those readers not familiar with COL Puckett, he graduated from West Point in 1949 and received his first company command shortly thereafter. He was a Second Lieutenant in charge of recruiting and training a COMPANY of Rangers. He went on to receive many commendations such as, but not limited to, the Distinguished Service Cross. Later in his career he was a member of the 101st, 10th SFG and did his part to train many a young Ranger.

The most amazing part of the visit was the Q+A section at the end. When prompted with:

“What allowed you to go from graduation to company commander so seamlessly…how did you overcome the fear of being put in a position like that?â€
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

I'm shocked that a college Psych class would schedule a Warrior to be a guest speaker. Excellent! I wish more schools would be that open. Sounds like a very worthwhile lecture.
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Fact: Once you meet COL Puckett you'll never be the same!

EDITED FOR CONTENT (I DIDN'T MEAN WHAT I TYPED)
Last edited by Silverback on March 6th, 2005, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Silverback wrote:Fact: Once you meet COL Puckett you'll be the same!
an AWSOME man and Legendary RANGER.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
BattleBoar
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by BattleBoar »

EarthPig wrote:I'm shocked that a college Psych class would schedule a Warrior to be a guest speaker. Excellent! I wish more schools would be that open. Sounds like a very worthwhile lecture.
RLTW
EP
EP,
This kid's a "smack" in "college" in New York with a former RI as an instructor. I think I went to the same school. The best part of it was the unbelievable guest speakers that we'd get. COL Puckett, LTG Moore, GEN Schwarzkopf, MG (now GEN(R)) McCaffery (right after ODS), President G.H.W. Bush, GEN Westmoreland, COL Tex Turner....

And this Psych class was lucky enough to get COL Puckett in a classroom?!? Here's hopin' they're all paying attention.

Completely agree with all of you about COL Puckett. When you first hear the introduction, you're like "Holy Shit! He did all of that?" And then you hear this completely humble, unassuming warrior talk and you're left speechless. He offers so much of his time to speak to future leaders at Benning and elsewhere. Truly a model soldier and leader.

Thanks for passing it on, Cadet. Keep soaking it in. You've got a lot of responsibility coming in 3 1/2 years. Do good.
Ranger Class 4-95
82D ABN DIV: B/3-505 PIR 95-97
2ID, Korea: HHC/1-503 (AASLT) 97-98
3ID, Benning: A/1-30 IN (M) 02-03 (Incl OIF), HHC/3/3 ID (M) 01-02, 03-04
All other periods, sadly including the present: No Assigned Weapon
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

He used to come to all the RIP graduations as the guest speaker.
Everytime I saw him he would stop me and talk for a bit. One of the last times we talked he had discovered that he and I were cousins.

Now I dont know how much truth is in it, But it is nice to think that I am related to a hall of fame Ranger. There aint that many Puckett's out there.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”