Rucks In RGT

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
toad
Ranger

Rucks In RGT

Post by toad »

I was wondering what you guys are using these days in Rgt for rucks. I have an ALICE pack that I have had for awhile and I want a new one as I do alot of hiking, and was curious to see what is issued these days.
Cco 3/75th 2nd plt wpns sqd 87-89
RS 8-88
BRanger91
Ranger

Post by BRanger91 »

Not sure on Regt but I would stay away from the MOLLE one, especially in cold climates. While I was in Drum they tried to do some field testing and found they got so brittle they would snap! I still use my good old ALICE too
C co 3/75 91-93 'The Rock'
OIF 04-05
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

We still use the standard ruck.
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

Fuck that 1950's-era 'technology'! :lol:
Dando175
Ranger

Post by Dando175 »

Hey fellahs,

So I've been out for about 2.5 years now, but I finally got around to buying a ruck on ebay for hiking and occasional road marching to stay in shape. Along with the ruck I also have aquired all the associated "accessories" to make it Regimental-spec: E-tool and cover, 2QT and cover, you know what I'm talkin' about. Problem is, I don't remember the damn ruck S.O.P., and I want to make my new ruck regulation, to the T.

So does anybody have, or remember, the RGT. ruck S.O.P. ? For example, the strap for the 2QT cover goes all the way around the ruck, but what side? (stupid question, I know- I just can't fuckin' remember). Which straps have to be S-folded and taped? What pocket does the poncho/wet weather top/wet weather bottom, go in?

OK, now all I need is an RBA, sopmod M203, and ammo, and I'm gonna go find Bin Laden by my own damn self. Who's with me?? 8) :twisted:

rtlw
CPT, USAF Medical Service Corps
A Co. 1/75 99-02
Class 9-01
ChipOnShoulder

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

The two quart "mouth" faces foward I think. E-tool on other side. Strap goes through the snap flaps on the front and all the way around. The wet weather top/poncho goes in the middle pouch. Socks and T-shirts in the other two next to the middle pocket.

AW -FUCK IT

I forgot too!!!!!! :roll: :roll:
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

Don't worry about it Regt doesn't have anything on the outside of their rucks anymore.

If you want to know the 2 quart is on the left side as worn and the e-tool and cover are on the right.
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

H8 Train wrote:Don't worry about it Regt doesn't have anything on the outside of their rucks anymore.

If you want to know the 2 quart is on the left side as worn and the e-tool and cover are on the right.

NO Molle?

We Dxed that piece of shit after we got it issued to.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Dando175
Ranger

Post by Dando175 »

rgrpuck wrote:
NO Molle?

A co 1/75 got that MOLLE ruck issued before going to the Gan in December 2001. It came brand new, in nice plastic bags. It was the whole MOLLE kit, actually: ruck, LCE, and lots of ammo pouches. We basically just rat-fucked the whole thing, taking the nice wide ruck straps, kidney pad, some big ruck add-on pouches, and all the ammo pouches. All the cool molle shit went onto our ALICE packs by way of flex cuffs and 550 cord. In retrospect we should have just left our rucks alone: we hardly used them anyway. Meanwhile the brand-new, gutted MOLLE ruck sat on my bunk for 4 months and never got touched.

Whose stupid fucking idea was it to issue the MOLLE ruck anyway?? Is that thing even jumpable?

Interesting (and sad) Note: After I left 1/75 in mid 2002, I heard that the new CSM forced the whole batallion to use the MOLLE LCE with a very strict S.O.P. No more RACK, no more personal touches, everything was "Leggified." Everybody had a bad feeling about that CSM because he fucked up the Ranger creed at his first Batallion PT formation. That's right- he fucked up the Ranger creed in front of his whole batallion. :?

I think he got fired pretty quick, though, and everything went back to normal.
A Co. 1/75 99-02
Class 9-01
Ruffner275
Ranger

Post by Ruffner275 »

Dando175 wrote: So I've been out for about 2.5 years now, but I finally got around to buying a ruck on ebay for hiking and occasional road marching to stay in shape. Along with the ruck I also have aquired all the associated "accessories" to make it Regimental-spec: E-tool and cover, 2QT and cover, you know what I'm talkin' about. Problem is, I don't remember the damn ruck S.O.P., and I want to make my new ruck regulation, to the T.
Out of curiousity, why not drop the coin on a decent pack and save the wear and tear on your body? I still have my old ruck (I have no idea why), but that thing will never see my back again unless it's out of pure necessity.
12B1P 11th ACR 96-99
11B2V C co. 2/75 99-02
Class 8-00
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

Ruffner275 wrote:
Dando175 wrote: So I've been out for about 2.5 years now, but I finally got around to buying a ruck on ebay for hiking and occasional road marching to stay in shape. Along with the ruck I also have aquired all the associated "accessories" to make it Regimental-spec: E-tool and cover, 2QT and cover, you know what I'm talkin' about. Problem is, I don't remember the damn ruck S.O.P., and I want to make my new ruck regulation, to the T.
Out of curiousity, why not drop the coin on a decent pack and save the wear and tear on your body? I still have my old ruck (I have no idea why), but that thing will never see my back again unless it's out of pure necessity.
Got agree with you. I use a Cabela's Alaskan with external frame for my hunting trips. Big and real comfortable when loaded with 100 lbs of meat! :D
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
toad
Ranger

Post by toad »

H8 Train wrote:Don't worry about it Regt doesn't have anything on the outside of their rucks anymore..
Not even name tapes and cat eyes?
Cco 3/75th 2nd plt wpns sqd 87-89
RS 8-88
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

Dando175 wrote:
rgrpuck wrote:
NO Molle?

A co 1/75 got that MOLLE ruck issued before going to the Gan in December 2001. It came brand new, in nice plastic bags. It was the whole MOLLE kit, actually: ruck, LCE, and lots of ammo pouches. We basically just rat-fucked the whole thing, taking the nice wide ruck straps, kidney pad, some big ruck add-on pouches, and all the ammo pouches. All the cool molle shit went onto our ALICE packs by way of flex cuffs and 550 cord. In retrospect we should have just left our rucks alone: we hardly used them anyway. Meanwhile the brand-new, gutted MOLLE ruck sat on my bunk for 4 months and never got touched.

Whose stupid fucking idea was it to issue the MOLLE ruck anyway?? Is that thing even jumpable?

Interesting (and sad) Note: After I left 1/75 in mid 2002, I heard that the new CSM forced the whole batallion to use the MOLLE LCE with a very strict S.O.P. No more RACK, no more personal touches, everything was "Leggified." Everybody had a bad feeling about that CSM because he fucked up the Ranger creed at his first Batallion PT formation. That's right- he fucked up the Ranger creed in front of his whole batallion. :?

I think he got fired pretty quick, though, and everything went back to normal.
Who the fuck was that? Actually never mind I didn't realize this was in the open forum. However it amazes me that Regiment would EVER have as a Bn Cmdr anybody who would equate a Ranger Bn (ESPECIALLY 1st Bn) to that of the 3rd ID or 82nd? Give me a fuckin break, good thing they got rid of his fuckin ass. We had our yes men while I was at Regiment, but never at the Bn Cmdr or CSM Level.
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
Dando175
Ranger

Post by Dando175 »

McD wrote:
Ruffner275 wrote:
Got agree with you. I use a Cabela's Alaskan with external frame for my hunting trips. Big and real comfortable when loaded with 100 lbs of meat! :D
Hahaha, you know what's funny? I already have a a "nice" Gregory internal frame pack that I've been using for several years. Nice gel-cushioned shoulder straps, uber-wide hip belt, 300+ cubic inches, and a partridge in a pear tree. Call me crazy, or maybe I should have never ETS'ed, but there's just something about the old ruck that I miss. My Gregory pack might be comfortable, but my good ol' ruck never failed me. ((wipes a single tear from my cheek)) :D
A Co. 1/75 99-02
Class 9-01
Dando175
Ranger

Post by Dando175 »

H8 Train wrote:
If I remember right it wasn't the 1st Batt CSM it was the RSM fresh from 2/75 that made everything leg. Granted the CSM for 1st was a tool from the 82nd but the RSM was the one making us do that shit.

I remember him fucking up the creed.

I don't know if you remember TT's replacment but in his introduction speech he told us that we where no better than the 82nd or the 3rd ID the only difference was that we where smaller and got a bigger budget. That dude was a tanker at heart he thought that Regt should be using Bradley's and Adrams tanks. Fucking leg.
Fucking piece of shit leg. How do you tell your troops something like that and expect morale to be sustained? If Regiment were no better than the 3RD ID, why would we bother going through Airborne, RIP, and all the daily struggles of Ranger life? Breaks my heart to hear a comment like that.
A Co. 1/75 99-02
Class 9-01

Return to “Personal Gear”