BAC Trainee Death

Ground Week, Tower Week, Jump Week.
jsmurphy
Tadpole

BAC Trainee Death

Post by jsmurphy »

Just read on another forum that a female BAC trainee had a malfunction and died on Fryer DZ today. Don't have many details except it was her second jump, her main malfunctioned and she didn't deploy her reserve.

Rest in Peace.
11B20 leg grunt. OSUT Benning '80. B 2/13 FRG '81-'83. B 1/58 Benning '83-'84.

Fuck the UN
Cpart84

Post by Cpart84 »

RIP
Kelly-Belly
Tadpole

Post by Kelly-Belly »

RIP
Kelly

This should be you...that they call Incredible...
smokn38
Paratrooper

Post by smokn38 »

RIP.
HHC 1/508th Panama 1989-1990
HHC and A Co 1/505th 1990-1992
csforstall
Tadpole

Post by csforstall »

Rest in Peace.
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Damn...what a shame. Rest in Peace, Soldier. ~S~
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Spartan

Re: BAC Trainee Death

Post by Spartan »

jsmurphy wrote:Just read on another forum that a female BAC trainee had a malfunction and died on Fryer DZ today. Don't have many details except it was her second jump, her main malfunctioned and she didn't deploy her reserve.

Rest in Peace.
I don't know if it's just me, but I thought they were still teaching people to pull their reserves when their main parachute fails. That's not like an obligation of service you are avoiding when you do not pull it, but an obligation to yourself in staying alive.

I hope she is resting in peace, but she should have pulled that reserve.

If you don't think you can follow the instructions that are provided at Airborne School, to perform tasks under the most unnatural of circumstances when you are in the most unusual of body positions falling from the sky, etc.. then you should not attend Airborne School.

It is not for everyone.
3rdHerdRGR375
Inprocessing

Post by 3rdHerdRGR375 »

That's all people are talking about here at Benning. Some more info on her is that she was a LT, her chute did deploy but it was a cigarette roll and there are one of 2 reasons people around here are saying why she didn't use her reserve. 1) She hit the side of the bird and blacked out. 2) She freaked out and just wasn't thinking.

Also, I'm not saying this is true or anything, but some people at airborne right now said that some of the airborne holdovers went on a detail to help the riggers pack chutes. Again, I dunno if it's true or not, because that would be extremely fucking ate up, but then again, so is the army.
3/75 04-Present
RIP Class 03-05
"Discipline seperates excellence from mediocrity"
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

A thread on P-net had comments from the jumpmaster from her bird. According to him she was a PFC, she had a streamer, and didn't deploy her reserve.

Who knows.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Holdovers always go on detail to the riggers, but it is for chute shakeout, not packing.
CAL
Paratrooper

Post by CAL »

She was definitely enlisted. The thread over at usparatroopers.org confirms that her husband is currently in AIT at Ft. Gordon, received the Red Cross message this morning and popped smoke.
ArmyParatrooper.org

514th Sig Co. (LRE) '97-'02
AATW!
blueskiesalways
Ranger Mom

Post by blueskiesalways »

RIP...
What is the current Military thinking regarding the use of AAD's (Automatic Opening Devices)...are they not used due to jump altitude/calibration problems?
Mom - One former 1/75 Ranger warrior......One current 3/75 Ranger warrior
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

They don't jump from a high enough altitude for that AOD shit at BAC.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Earthpig
Ranger

Re: BAC Trainee Death

Post by Earthpig »

Spartan wrote:I don't know if it's just me, but I thought they were still teaching people to pull their reserves when their main parachute fails.
There are times when that is fruitless. When I fragged in, I was below treetop level when I realized I was not going to correct the malfunction (too low to deploy reserve). Knowing that, I decided "fuck it!" and rode my ruck in. If I hadn't decided to go limp at the last instant, I very possibly could've been killed. I decided (after working zillions of motor vehicle accidents, where the drunk always survived and everybody else died) at the very last second to go limp, rather than do a PLF. I bounced a few times, wiggled my toes, and exited the DZ. I'm not saying this person's situation was like mine, just pointing out that every jump is different. Some don't end up like the books want them to.
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.

Return to “About Airborne School”