Will a Civillian Paramedic License Help?

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Thursday
Tadpole

Will a Civillian Paramedic License Help?

Post by Thursday »

Currently I am in a civillian EMT-Paramedic course that is rather reputable throughout the country for its production of high quality students. I was wondering at all if this will help me in any way, shape or form when I go to speak with a recruiter about getting a commission in the Army.

My goals are to finish paramedic school, go back to college and get my 4 year degree in computer engineering with a second major in history. After that is done, I want to bring along one of my former college instructors who was in the Army for 20+ years, and go to the Recruiter and see if he can get me a good deal, hopefully in the Infantry, possibly to go straight into SF, but I honestly have no idea how that works. If it is necessary for me to put in time in another unit before I am elligible to join SF, I am ready and willing to do so.

My real questions are:

Will being a civillian paramedic increase my chances of getting into SF, or at least Ranger school?
What will I need to do, being an officer, to get to Ranger school? (my mind is made up, it is necessary for me to become a Ranger even if I dont get a commission and end up with and MOS as a cook somewhere. Being a Ranger is TOP priority!)
What kind of a role does an Officer who is also crosstrained as a paramedic and as a communications expert expect to have? Will I be able to get out into Combat with a medic below me, or will I be the main medical expert there?

thank you for any help or insight that you Rangers and others might have into my questions. And sorry if i look like a dumbass asking these questions, I am very eager to learn about the workings of the Army because i have no knoledge of how anything works.

Thanks again,
Thursday
BadMuther
BANNED

Re: Will a Civillian Paramedic License Help?

Post by BadMuther »

Thursday wrote:Currently I am in a civillian EMT-Paramedic course that is rather reputable throughout the country for its production of high quality students. I was wondering at all if this will help me in any way, shape or form when I go to speak with a recruiter about getting a commission in the Army. Doubtful.

My goals are to finish paramedic school, go back to college and get my 4 year degree in computer engineering with a second major in history. After that is done, I want to bring along one of my former college instructors who was in the Army for 20+ years, and go to the Recruiter and see if he can get me a good deal, hopefully in the Infantry, possibly to go straight into SF, but I honestly have no idea how that works. If it is necessary for me to put in time in another unit before I am elligible to join SF, I am ready and willing to do so. You are really fucking confused. In your intro you said that you wanted to be a Ranger more then anything-doesn't sound like it.

My real questions are:

Will being a civillian paramedic increase my chances of getting into SF, or at least Ranger school? No
What will I need to do, being an officer, to get to Ranger school? They'll send you, more likely then not(my mind is made up, it is necessary for me to become a Ranger even if I dont get a commission and end up with and MOS as a cook somewhere. Being a Ranger is TOP priority!) again, doesn't sound like it
What kind of a role does an Officer who is also crosstrained as a paramedic and as a communications expert expect to have?As what???????? Ranger or SF or WTF???? and commo expert???? Officers do officer shit, they don't patch people up or have commo as a main function Will I be able to get out into Combat with a medic below me, or will I be the main medical expert there? Pull your head out.

thank you for any help or insight that you Rangers and others might have into my questions. And sorry if i look like a dumbass asking these questions, I am very eager to learn about the workings of the Army because i have no knoledge of how anything works.

Thanks again,
Thursday
Where do I even start???????

Dude, you are very fucking confused.

Why in the fuck do you want to finish this that and the other if your goal is to become a Ranger?????? Trying to wait the war out? Here's your chance to serve your country in it's time of need! If I was an able-bodied young man, I'd go to my nearest recruiter and sign up to be a Ranger tmrw.....instead of telling everyone how bad I want it
after I finish, emt, college, dog grooming, and combat ballet class.....

You either want to be a Ranger or you don't. Unfuck yourself.
Thursday
Tadpole

Post by Thursday »

Ranger BadMuther, that is not how I see it. I feel that I am a good leader, and will be able to be most efficient leading other men into battle. I understand what you mean when you say that I should go to my Recruiter and start up now, but education is paramount. Without the education, I cannot be as effective as I want to be, it would be as though I was letting myself down as well as all of the men that I would have been in command of.

I'm sure that I sound like a huge, arrogant asshole, but it is what I know I am intended to do. The war right now is happening, and I am missing it, but there will be future wars, in which I will partake in, and which I will be fully prepared for. Right now, I am not prepared at all; in a physical nor in a educational mannor. My mental toughness is unquestionably there, but I can't allow myself to go to battle unprepaired. I feel that having this education is as much of an important weapon as all of the tools. That, to me, is necessary.

The war will continue, and it will eventually end, with or without my enrollment. But there will be future wars or conflicts that I will be a part of, when I am fully prepared, where I can be fully functional and totally effective. That is why I have to finish this before I start my journey into becoming a warrior.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Thursday wrote:Ranger BadMuther, that is not how I see it. I feel that I am a good leader, and will be able to be most efficient leading other men into battle. I understand what you mean when you say that I should go to my Recruiter and start up now, but education is paramount. Without the education, I cannot be as effective as I want to be, it would be as though I was letting myself down as well as all of the men that I would have been in command of.

I'm sure that I sound like a huge, arrogant asshole, but it is what I know I am intended to do. The war right now is happening, and I am missing it, but there will be future wars, in which I will partake in, and which I will be fully prepared for. Right now, I am not prepared at all; in a physical nor in a educational mannor. My mental toughness is unquestionably there, but I can't allow myself to go to battle unprepaired. I feel that having this education is as much of an important weapon as all of the tools. That, to me, is necessary.

The war will continue, and it will eventually end, with or without my enrollment. But there will be future wars or conflicts that I will be a part of, when I am fully prepared, where I can be fully functional and totally effective. That is why I have to finish this before I start my journey into becoming a warrior.
:? :? :? :? :?
You'll make a great officer, don't mind me.

BTW, why do you feel that you are a "good leader" WTF have you led?

I attempted, but I can't hold back. You are an arrogant, no-nothing, done-nothing dumbass. "There will be other wars"? Really fuckface????

I enlisted at the height of the DSI buildup. I DID NOT get to go...2nd Batt DID NOT deploy....and they didn't deploy to any kind of real conflict until after Sept. 11th.

So please, pretty please, Mr. ossifer, pull out your shiny crystal ball and tell us all when the next conflict will be? Is this the same crystal ball that told you you were a great leader??? Maybe it can tell you whether you want to be SF or Ranger, Ossifer or enlisted? Commo or medic?

Most likely you are kidding yourself and when push comes to shove, you will fail.
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Thursday wrote:Ranger BadMuther, that is not how I see it. I feel that I am a good leader, Based on what? and will be able to be most efficient leading other men into battle. Again based on what, your years of combat experiance?I understand what you mean when you say that I should go to my Recruiter and start up now, but education is paramount. Probably not as much as you think it is. Without the education, I cannot be as effective as I want to be, it would be as though I was letting myself down as well as all of the men that I would have been in command of. That is the biggest BULLSHIT statement I have ever seen. There are some VERY successful people on this forum that dont have a lick of college. Go make excuses for your lack of action somewhere else, not here. We dont need your weak ass justification. As a matter of fact we could care less.

I'm sure that I sound like a huge, arrogant asshole,Oh Roger that but it is what I know I am intended to do. So then dont wast time effort and space on this forum The war right now is happening, and I am missing it, but there will be future wars, in which I will partake in, and which I will be fully prepared for.No your not you think we are engadged in some kind of game. Right now, I am not prepared at all; in a physical nor in a educational mannor. My mental toughness is unquestionably there, We would prove your weaknesses to you in minutes but I can't allow myself to go to battle unprepaired. I feel that having this education is as much of an important weapon as all of the tools. Again this is determined by your vast amount of experiance ?That, to me, is necessary.

You know thats all well and good. I am glad you have a plan for yourself but dont come on here and try to justify yourself to us. I could care less. As far as your leadership ability, It has been my experiance that anyone who makes as many excuses for their desires and actions as you do couldnt lead ants to a picnic. What makes you think you are the next Patton? Your not nor, I expect, will you be. I have seen to many LT come and go in my life you will be looked at as just another one. IF you ever do it. Which I doubt. Grow up kid we dont have time for your over blown posturing. ]
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

You can't ever go wrong with more education, so of course more knowledge will help you. If you're aiming for an 18X slot in SF, then the Paramedic experience will be a huge plus......if you make it to the Medical Training phase.

The military routes that you have mentioned (Rangers and SF) are going to require knowledge and quick decision-making skills. More importantly however, you will need intestinal fortitude. The knowledge and experience comes into play when you get to your final unit. Getting there is the big challenge.

The cadre along the way will try every trick in the book to make you quit....that is their job. Either you have the motivation, guts, and physical endurance to make it, or you don't......and it doesn't come from a book or a classroom.

Good luck with everything.
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Vee
Ranger

Post by Vee »

EP!

Don't you EVER want to play the BAD COP? :lol:
RSD 96-99
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Vee wrote:EP!

Don't you EVER want to play the BAD COP? :lol:
Aw shucks.....
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

*farts....
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Vee
Ranger

Post by Vee »

hit_it wrote:*farts....

What the fuck is wrong with you lately, you gaseous bastard? :lol:
RSD 96-99
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

:lol:
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Thursday
Tadpole

Post by Thursday »

Ranger EarthPig, thank you for your comments. I will be aiming for an 18x contract, but I didnt want to go out and state that because I dont totally know what it entails. I know that I have everything that you stated above, and I am confident in all of my abilites.

Ranger BadMuther and Ranger Puck, whatever I say will not matter to you because you dont know me, nor do I know you. I know myself. I know that I have the ability to lead from past experiences in mainly sports. ( I am hesitant to state the following because I know that it will be replied with the following statements such as: Sports are nothing when it comes to combat, and rightly so. Nothing is comparable to combat )

I was the captain of my baseball team from the time I was 8 years old until I finished high school. I played on a traveling allstar team that was comprised with mainly the same kids each year, and each year I was selected as the captain because of my abilities to get behind the men, and to make descisions, to call pitches, or different playes, set up defences, not to mention being the youngest guy on the team, each year. This doesnt have the smallest relation to combat but its the underlying priciple, leading the guys who looked up to me.

Another example:
I was the captain of the Hockey team throughout high school and then one year in college. I would be the one that people looked to when we needed something to help get us though during a tough game. I was the one who would go and take out the biggest guy they had on the other team to motivate my teamates, get them fired up and ready for their next shift. Again, this has nothing to do with combat, but its the leadership that I gave to the other guys that looked up to me and responded.

I hate having to tell stories like that because that is not the kind of person I am. I dont want to be given credit when I havnt earned it, and here, it is apparent that I will never earn it, only because I wont be in the Army for a few more years. I dont ever expect you guys to think that I ever have a chance, and that is totally fine with me. Why? Because you dont know me, you dont know that I dont quit, it's just not an option for me.

Veteran SnafuRacer, I feel that I need to finish school for myself. If for any reason I am not allowed into the Army, I would like to have a backup plan. And the only reason I say that is because that a guy that I went to high school with went to his recruiter, got a contract, went to MEPS, and found out that he was Medically Unfit to quallify for active duty because of kidney and renal issues; and this was a guy who was a great athelete in high school, constantly lifting weights and running, in very good health, and a fluke situation like this happens and he can never become a Ranger. As for the proverbial soldiers I would have lead, that was a line of bullshit, I want to do this for myself and nobody else.

Ranger Puck, you may call what I say excuses, but I am just justifying myself to accusations of trying to wait out the war. I am not like that. I am trying to give out some information about myself before people make premature assumptions that I will fail miserably. Also, I defend myself, because I am not in person but on the internet. If I were in person, and I got to see everyone everyday and they saw how I acted and everything I did, I wouldnt need to say a word, my actions can speak for themselves.

Believe it or not, that is who I am and what I am about. You guys will think what you like, and I cant influence that with words. All I asked for was a few answers about some questions I have.

commence flamming
Thursday

Return to “Recruitment Process”