Finished Up OSUT (RANGER)

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
Gravity Man
Ranger

Finished Up OSUT (RANGER)

Post by Gravity Man »

Well, we turned blue earlier today and were released on pass. Tomorrow is our graduation and then its straight to airborne hold. There are rumors of passes galor in holdover through PNN (Private News Network).

Ray80 came by for congrats before I left for FTX. Good guy, he's really on top of things. FTX is a lot of fun and not worth the hype. Recovery with all the down time is the worst part in the cycle IMO. A lot of fights almost broke out due to cabin fever and general unrest.

We had our Airborne/RIP PT test the other day. All but 3 guys in my platoon quit their contracts and some even quit airborne. They told us that the Regiment was at 135% strength, it would be impossible to get a slot, no shame to drop out, etc. Most were going to quit/fail anyways, I think the overstrength was just their excuse to quit. I only earned a 233 though, mainly because we were up for 72+ hours straight cleaning weapons/TA-50.

I can't wait to drive on to the next point. 14 weeks went by a lot faster then I expected. DEPs, stay motivated and NEVER QUIT.
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Thanks for the update and congrats on becoming an Infantryman. Good luck with your next phase.
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Mom in Texas
Tadpole

Post by Mom in Texas »

Congratulations and Good Luck in the months to come!
There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure. - Colin Powell
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Tenn-RGR wrote:That whole 135% bullshit is just that. One must first look at the source of the information before you begin to process it. Besides 90% of all initial reporting is likely to be false.

I have to agree with Tenn RGR. That is how rumors start.

Congratz G-man. Airborne next, one step at a time. Each step still come for those that work for it. :lol:
Last edited by Steadfast on January 20th, 2005, 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Ardent Lady
Tadpole

Post by Ardent Lady »

Great job, Soldier! Well done. Thank you for your committment and your willingness to do your best.
Reverend Mother of the Church of The Yellow River

The ultimate effect of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
--Herbert Spencer
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Nike Cat wrote:I have a question, if the Batallion is at 135% strength at the moment, does that mean that less people are going to graduate RIP? I mean do they up the standard and force more people out?
Standards are standards. it is up to you to make it. IUf you let a rumor like that drive your thinking you will have problems.

Congradulations on your turning blue. Dont stop now. 233 ? You need to do some work on that. or you will get your lunch ate in RIP.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

Congrats. Keep getting it done, stud. And don't let anybody talk you out of completing your mission.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
Ranger2

Post by Ranger2 »

When you are in basic you will hear all kinds of bullshit rumors. Don't believe them. If you quit because of rumors then you are going to quit everytime things get rough in life.

That is pretty sad, quitting because of rumors. What a bunch of losers.

The army is full of rumors. Just take care of yourself and you will be fine.

How the hell would anyone at basic know the strength of Regiment? WTF?

Ranger2
Gravity Man
Ranger

Post by Gravity Man »

rgrpuck wrote:
Nike Cat wrote:I have a question, if the Batallion is at 135% strength at the moment, does that mean that less people are going to graduate RIP? I mean do they up the standard and force more people out?
Standards are standards. it is up to you to make it. IUf you let a rumor like that drive your thinking you will have problems.

Congradulations on your turning blue. Dont stop now. 233 ? You need to do some work on that. or you will get your lunch ate in RIP.
Ranger rgrpuck,

My PT test before this one (about a week ago) rang in at 276. I almost passed out on the run due to dizziness/sick stomach. I think its because of our 3 days without sleep. We were notified of the test at about 0230 that day. I know my score still needs work to be 300+ but its not "truly" as shitty as a 233.

Ranger Ranger2,

Some DS from Airborne hold with a memo or something was the one putting this out. They were going to quit anyways, this just gave them the excuse to do so.
Vee
Ranger

Post by Vee »

Gravity Man wrote: I think its because of our 3 days without sleep. We were notified of the test at about 0230 that day. I know my score still needs work to be 300+ but its not "truly" as shitty as a 233.
Not an excuse G-man.

I remember my team taking PT tests after much worse than 3 days without sleep.

And everyone still scored over our standard of 270.

Excuses are like assholes, right. We don't want to hear them.

Congratulations on getting this far.
RSD 96-99
Gravity Man
Ranger

Post by Gravity Man »

Roger that Ranger Vee, no excuse. FIDO.
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

Tenn-RGR wrote:That whole 135% bullshit is just that. One must first look at the source of the information before you begin to process it. Besides 90% of all initial reporting is likely to be false.
Remember a great deal of the information that young soldiers get before and during RIP is designed to get those who are not truely motivated to quit so they don't waste time evaluating those who claim they are Ranger Type Personnel.

MENTAL TOUGHNESS, STRONG CHARACTER, PHYSICAL FITNESS, AND OVERALL INTELLIGENCE is what will see you through.

Those who are weak will use the first excuse they can find in order to "save face" (so they think) before they QUIT!

Congrats on your turnin BLUE GravityMan, you keep your eyes on your goal and don't bother takin time to even think about those who have QUIT, THEY'RE WEAK. Concentrate on improving your physical fitness, knockout elevated pushups anytime and everytime you aren't doin anything else and make us proud!!!

Good luck to you Soldier 8)
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Just keep doin' it!!!!!!
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn

Return to “Letters from School”