Rangers .... what influenced you to join ?

Eight weeks of smoke, training & evaluation.
knight_7t

Rangers .... what influenced you to join ?

Post by knight_7t »

Hey, im only 14 and im planning to join up and try to become part of this elite brotherhood. When people ask me why I want to be in the army I dont know what to say. So I started wondering what influenced you guys to join. And if you guys had any regrets. And I support everything you guys r doing and I know what kind of sacrifices you guys are making... I just hope i get my chance to shoot some ragheads.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Patriotism, I desire to serve my country, and a desire to serve with the best....."becoming a part of the elite brotherhood".... 8)
NoahH
Ranger

Post by NoahH »

Ranger
Ranger/Admin

Re: Rangers .... what influenced you to join ?

Post by Ranger »

knight_7t wrote:Hey, im only 14 and im planning to join up and try to become part of this elite brotherhood. When people ask me why I want to be in the army I dont know what to say. So I started wondering what influenced you guys to join. And if you guys had any regrets. And I support everything you guys r doing and I know what kind of sacrifices you guys are making... I just hope i get my chance to shoot some ragheads.
Knight - I am going to delete your account at this time. Nothing personal and you did nothing wrong here.

Feel free to come back and sign up for a new account after you turn 16 years of age. Until then, you should be a reader only on this site, not someone who posts.

I will leave this thread open and you can read the responses of those who post here.
DO NOT PM ME
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

At the time, I had many friends in the SWAT/Law Enforcement community who had served prior to becoming cops. I always felt like I hadn't given what they had. Couple that with a strong love for this country and a desire to be one of the best and you have it. Now....go post an introduction in the proper Forum. Gracias!
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

EarthPig wrote:At the time, I had many friends in the SWAT/Law Enforcement community who had served prior to becoming cops. I always felt like I hadn't given what they had. Couple that with a strong love for this country and a desire to be one of the best and you have it. Now....go post an introduction in the proper Forum. Gracias!
RLTW
EP
Great post, and proof EP doesn't read anybody else's posts! :wink:

Bro, kinda hard for him to post an intro if his account is deleted... :shock:
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

I wanted to sneak thru tropical rainforest dressed in tiger stripes and armed with a machingun and kill the enemy and the Rangers were the best at it. I wanted to be like Rangers Slow Poke and Steadfast. :wink: I didn't even understand what patriotism, intestional fortitude, esprit de' corp or any of that other stuff meant. I thought that I wanted to go to war with the best. Later on I discovered that there is a little more to it, but that was my honest to God initial reason for wanting to go Ranger.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Vee
Ranger

Post by Vee »

Flesh Thorn wrote:I wanted to sneak thru tropical rainforest dressed in tiger stripes and armed with a machingun and kill the enemy and the Rangers were the best at it. I wanted to be like Rangers Slow Poke and Steadfast. :wink: I didn't even understand what patriotism, intestional fortitude, esprit de' corp or any of that other stuff meant. I thought that I wanted to go to war with the best. Later on I discovered that there is a little more to it, but that was my honest to God initial reason for wanting to go Ranger.

Man do I read you there.

Men with painted faces.

Fuckin ay.
RSD 96-99
RGR_Dan
Ranger

Regiment

Post by RGR_Dan »

I wanted to be part of something awesome. For most of us, being there was a way of life and a place where we met people that you would be friends with your entire life. I am a better man now that I have served with the breed of people you've found here.
95-98 Aco. 3/75 2nd plt Weapons Sqd
98-01Hco 121st LRS
Former LEO
Former Contractor
LEO (round 2)
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

I didn't even know what the fuck a Ranger was when I started considering the service. I talked to the squidleys first about the teams, and quickly walked away from them. Talked to the Corps about a few options.

Eventually I got around to going ahead and talking to the Army, just in case. All I knew is that I didn't want to be in some shitbag unit with fuckers who didn't give a shit. The recruiter showed me a recruiting video of the Rangers, and he was a former 1st Batt stud himself. I never looked back. From that moment on (and still to this day), in my mind, nothing could approach the Ranger Regiment for me. A shot at special ops in the Army, IN WRITING? What else could I ask for? The rest, as they say, is history. I never knew what to expect. I never knew what RIP was until Basic Training. I never knew, when signing the contract, what standards I would have to meet to achieve my goal. Oh, I knew it would be tough, but I never knew specifics as to what lay ahead like you cherries do nowadays. I just knew they were where I wanted to be, and I went where I was told, and did what I was told to do, not ever knowing what to expect next.

Whoever produced that recruiting video should've been put in for a damn medal, because it sure as Hell worked on me.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

Whoever produced that recruiting video should've been put in for a damn medal, because it sure as Hell worked on me.
And it works to this day. Just closed a HS senior with it an hour ago, Ranger CD.

funny thing is, he want's to be a carpenter.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Creeping Death wrote:I didn't even know what the fuck a Ranger was when I started considering the service. I talked to the squidleys first about the teams, and quickly walked away from them. Talked to the Corps about a few options.

Eventually I got around to going ahead and talking to the Army, just in case. All I knew is that I didn't want to be in some shitbag unit with fuckers who didn't give a shit. The recruiter showed me a recruiting video of the Rangers, and he was a former 1st Batt stud himself. I never looked back. From that moment on (and still to this day), in my mind, nothing could approach the Ranger Regiment for me. A shot at special ops in the Army, IN WRITING? What else could I ask for? The rest, as they say, is history. I never knew what to expect. I never knew what RIP was until Basic Training. I never knew, when signing the contract, what standards I would have to meet to achieve my goal. Oh, I knew it would be tough, but I never knew specifics as to what lay ahead like you cherries do nowadays. I just knew they were where I wanted to be, and I went where I was told, and did what I was told to do, not ever knowing what to expect next.

That was me too CD.

I initially wanted to be a Sqidley SEAL, but I didn't have the eyesight for it. The Corps wouldn't give you a guaranteed chance to try out for recon, and I heard they didn't select dudes with contacts/glasses. I wanted SF, but at that time there was no straight entry into SF.

I just knew that I wanted to be with the best of the best, and a guaranteed chance to try out. I didn't want to be in a leg unit with a bunch of dumbfucks. That was mostly pounded into my head from reading Vietnam Ranger books.

My idea of what a Ranger was was what Rangers Slowpoke and Steadfast did. I knew that the Rangers no longer operated like that, so the reality is I didn't have a fucking clue what a modern Ranger did...didn't know about RIP, anything.

When I was like 12, or 14, I wrote to ALL the spec ops units in the military for info, including the SAS.

The 2nd Batt commander sent me a huge packet of shit and a hand written letter. Books, manuals, a scroll, etc. (No response from 1st batt.) So after looking at my options, I knew Second was the place for me.

Once I was in the Army, I started to realize that the rest of the Army looked up to Rangers and they were what most looked up to or were inspired to try and be like. None of my DS's were Batt boys...had a Panama Vet 3rd batt black hat....Dude was a fucking stud.

My RIP instructors were honestly the most intimidating group of individuals I have ever met in my life.

I am proud of being a Ranger and consider myself lucky that I have been able to do the two things I most wanted out of life.

Be a Ranger, and then be a cop.

Being a Ranger is what I am most proud of.
Bell

Post by Bell »

I entered the service because I was bored out of my mind. I had a job, drove the same route everyday. I could look at my watch and tell ya when I was going to take my next shit. I was going crazy.

I talked to over 20 recruiters before I found a guy I could talk to. Took me a year of talking and barbecues and a few rebuilt engines with that recruiter before I finally decided to go ahead and join. I'd called some old high school friends that were vets and talked to them about Rangers. They didn't know anything. The recruiter didn't know much and he was ex SF.

I told him I had a job. What I wanted from the miltary was a unit where I could be first string. I didn't want a support job. I had a job. I want something completely different. I got it.

He signed me up for 1st/75th Ranger Battalion. Off I went. I found out about RIP when I got there. I asked for leave when I walked in and you should have seen the looks on their faces. It took me 5 minutes to figure out that I wasn't going anywhere.

I loved it. I miss it. I wish I'd never left.

I had a job. I was bored. I wanted first string. I got it.

RLTW
Bell
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Back when I was in 2/75, we shot more ammo than all the other units on post combined - which includes an infantry division and 1st SFG.

Return to “About RASP”