• Advertisement
Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com

Click here to Register

Search

Advertisement

French foriegn legion?

Discuss other country's SOF forces.

French foriegn legion?

PostAuthor: AtxCrybaby » September 10th, 2003, 11:24 am

what exactly is it? theyre french so they realy cant be anything to special can they?

AtxCrybaby

PostAuthor: Bell » September 10th, 2003, 12:08 pm

You had better do some reading. A little research will go a long long way.

The French Foreign Legion is some bad mofos. Most are there because the army they were in wouldn't allow them to do things. Others because they like fighting. Others because they couldn't find a mercenary job. Others because they got fucked over by their girls and found a place to hide.

Do some research. The members aren't all French. But most speak several languages.

RLTW
Bell

Bell

PostAuthor: AtxCrybaby » September 10th, 2003, 2:07 pm

i stand corrected

AtxCrybaby

PostAuthor: AtxCrybaby » September 10th, 2003, 2:34 pm

http://www.frenchforeignlegion.org/default.html interesting site bout them if ur interested

AtxCrybaby

PostAuthor: Earthpig » September 10th, 2003, 3:34 pm

AtxSoldier wrote:interesting site bout them if ur interested

You were the one who was interested in them....
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Earthpig
Ranger

Has Milk Boned: 0 time
Been Milk Boned: 0 time

Nationality

PostAuthor: uptownjavy » November 20th, 2004, 6:45 pm

I didn't think they let French Nationals in the legion. I thought that part of the deal with serving was for non French people looking to get citizenship could after X-amount of service. I could be wrong though. They are pretty badass whatever their nationality though.
Animo et Fide
uptownjavy
Embryo

Re: Nationality

PostAuthor: Silverback » November 21st, 2004, 6:25 am

uptownjavy wrote:They are pretty badass whatever their nationality though.

And you are basing this opinion on???? You're definitely not basing it on experience, so you must have read a couple books?
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Silverback
Ranger

Re: Nationality

PostAuthor: Bandito » November 21st, 2004, 2:47 pm

uptownjavy wrote:I didn't think they let French Nationals in the legion. I thought that part of the deal with serving was for non French people looking to get citizenship could after X-amount of service. I could be wrong though. They are pretty badass whatever their nationality though.

You need to do some more reading tool.....Officers and Senior NCOs are mostly French. In the 90's, ONLY FRENCH born citizens could be officers, at least in the Parachute Regiment.
Bco 2/75 1992-1996
RS Class 8-93
Bandito
Ranger

PostAuthor: Chiron » December 24th, 2004, 4:31 am

I recall in French commando school in 1983 we had two French senior NCO who were in the legion. Sergeant chef Bensallah and Sergeant chef Belgrade. Both were huge. One was of Algerian descent and the other was Yugoslav. Both became French citizens and both were highly decorated. I remember Bensallah telling me what the crest on the beret means. It’s shaped like a rooster head with feathers missing and has an arm sticking forward with a knife in it. Which means, I’ve been around the world lost many feathers (in battle) but got my revenge (with the knife).
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Chiron
Ranger

PostAuthor: Kilted Heathen » December 24th, 2004, 10:45 am

That's a cool crest.I had a cockney pal of mine that was in the legion "back when it was hard".He said a private in the legion was given a pack of cigarettes a month.Twelve a year.Compliments of theLegion.
He said when he re-upped his bonus was an extra pack of cigs per year! :lol:
Compliments of the Legion.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

PostAuthor: Kilted Heathen » December 24th, 2004, 12:14 pm

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Guinness!
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

PostAuthor: UK Warlord » December 25th, 2004, 4:50 am

I have had the privilege to serve in both the Royal Marine Commandoes and the 2eme REP of the Foreign Legion. There is a lot of disinformation about The Legion, particularly in American Quarters about exactly what the legion is.

I think I’d best start by saying that the French Foreign Legion is the main Rapid Intervention Force for the French Army. Individual Legion Units would act as the spearhead force for their respective French division. So in the case of my unit the 2eme REP, we were the spearhead force for the 11eme Division de Parachtiste. The training in the legion wouldn’t present too many problems for a well conditioned former Ranger. As such it would be an interesting career move for any former US GI.

There is a completely different emphasis on discipline in the Legion with the regime being far more austere than that of the American Army. This might present some problems, as physical violence towards recruits is not uncommon..

The Americans as soldiers are not regarded highly, but their equipment is a great source of envy. The main problem is that Americans are seen as always trying to force their own culture on other people and are not as willing to go native when operating in foreign pastures, as perhaps the Legion are.

French nationals can serve as officers, but not as NCO/SNCO’s. Many overcome this obstacle by declaring their nationality to be French Canadian.

The training in the Legion is fairly tough and compares favourably with modern warfare practice. I would say your average Legionnaire is able to cover more ground on foot than a Ranger as great emphasis is put on fitness. Even having done your qualification training, most REP companies will do an 8 mile mountain run daily.

The Legion also has its own Special Forces Unit integrated into the REP.

Many REP members also end up attached or serving with the GIGN.

As I’ve said Americans are seen as brash and a bit soft (no offence as this is just the perception) So Americans can expect a slightly tougher time if they join. One consolation is that they hate the British even more. Once you are assigned to a unit, then you will be treated like everyone else as you are seen as part of the Legion family.

Most Americans hook up with the Brits, Ozzies and Irish and are part of what is called the Mafia Anglaise. A unit that has a formidable drinking reputation.

Anyway hope this helps.
UK Warlord
Embryo

PostAuthor: Bell » December 25th, 2004, 4:55 am

I really appreciate the information Warlord. Now, go to introductions and do so please. Rules of the board and we like to know who we're speaking to.

RLTW
Bell

Bell

Re: ,

PostAuthor: MikeP » January 31st, 2005, 10:53 am

Pafsanias wrote:I recall in French commando school in 1983 we had two French senior NCO who were in the legion. Sergeant chef Bensallah and Sergeant chef Belgrade. Both were huge. One was of Algerian descent and the other was Yugoslav. Both became French citizens and both were highly decorated. I remember Bensallah telling me what the crest on the beret means. It’s shaped like a rooster head with feathers missing and has an arm sticking forward with a knife in it. Which means, I’ve been around the world lost many feathers (in battle) but got my revenge (with the knife).

I served in the REP from 84 to 89 and knew both these guys and it's Belmont not Belgrade!
2eme Rep 2eme Cie

MikeP
Embryo

PostAuthor: Creeping Death » January 31st, 2005, 11:09 am

MikeP:

You have already been told once by rgrpuck to post an intro in accordance with site rules and procedures. Now, you are being told for a second, and final time.

If you post again before posting a proper introduction, your posts will be deleted until you decide to comply with site rules and procedures.

Please post your intro ASAP.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
Creeping Death
Ranger

Next

Return to Other Country's Forces

• Advertisement

copyright credits
Army Ranger Mojo Inc. 501(c)3 a non-profit organization supporting Army Rangers past, present and future.