Son Graduated RS !!!

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
blueskiesalways
Ranger Mom

Son Graduated RS !!!

Post by blueskiesalways »

Just a quick update...No need to cross our fingers anymore. Our son graduated RS on Dec 17th...YEAH!!!...(no recycle)
He said it was the hardest thing he has ever accomplished. He was black & blue, had pre-frostbitten hands(cracked & split) and was skinny as hell, having lost almost 30 lbs!!!..BUT YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN HIS SMILE!!!
When asked what was the worst part, sleep deprivation or lack of food, food won hands down...Managing his food supply became a very serious process for him.
He had some funny stories to tell. At one point he fell asleep, but thought he was still awake. He came to his senses while pushing on a tree trunk infront of him, he thought he was helping the guy infront of him move along!!!..Said it made for slow progress..LOL
At one point (Thanksgiving) he was sooo COLD he was reduced to tears, and not ashamed to admit it...HOWEVER, perserverance won out and we are now the proud parents of a validated RANGER.
A good example of keeping your fingers crossed untill the graduation ceremony...The ALMOST honor graduate was not allowed to graduate with the rest due to some infraction that occured AFTER returning to Benning...although it is my understanding he will still get his tab!!!... :oops: ..Anyway, thanks for listening to me brag..LOL...Merry Christmas to you all!!!
Mom - One former 1/75 Ranger warrior......One current 3/75 Ranger warrior
AngryPistols
US Army Veteran

Post by AngryPistols »

Congrats blueskiesalways!!!
Angry

USA 95B 84-87, TXARNG 91B 88-89, CIV 89-present

"Yet each man kills the thing he loves, some do it with a bitter look, some with a flattering word, the coward does it with a kiss, and the brave man with the sword. " -Oscar Wilde
Mom in Texas
Tadpole

Post by Mom in Texas »

Congratulations to you and your son! He graduated at a pefect time....Christmas dinner! I'm sure he's been dreaming about it.
There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure. - Colin Powell
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Congratulation to you Mom. I will congratulate your son when he comes on.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Congratulations Ma'm. I know you were already proud of your son, but now you're probably so proud you're wanting to talk him up to every other mom you run into. :wink:

Well, if they're kids are in the military also, you definitely should! :lol:
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Congratulations Mom....you have every reason to be proud of your son! Try to get him to come here so we can congratulate him personally.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Strange thing about the 3-4 months after graduation of a winter class. Stomach is screwed up, body has a tough time adjusting, sleep in fits...
probably the most severe changes I ever went through.
Congratulations to him. Feed him, let him sleep.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

A word to the wise, Mom ...... DO NOT take your young warrior out to a restaurant to eat unless:

1. You have extremely deep pockets and don't get embarrased easliy

or

2. It is an all you can eat buffet.

What the Pastor says is true. I had a tinge of an eating disorder that took me almost seven years to completely get rid of. Some hangup about leaving a morsel of food on my plate, and there being boys starving in Ranger School. I took my G-friend to eat at Cracker Barrell about a week after I got back, and the bill cost me in excess of $50, and I ended up eating half of her meal too! (1 breakfast meal, two full dinner meals, half of her meal, and dessert). I got a few strange looks to say the least.

The boy will be able to put away some chow for a while.

Congrats to you both.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
Bell

Post by Bell »

Your son is now one of us. He now understands what we went through. There's no way to explain it. It has to be done.

I welcome him to the brotherhood. He's a man to be proud of.

RLTW
Bell
Hoover
Ranger

Post by Hoover »

That's Great News Mom!
After reading your post it sounds as though not a lot has changed down there, sleep walking, making friends with trees, cracked hands and feet; what a wonderfull place; Frank D. Merrills home for Wayward Boys.
It's great that you were there; so were my parents and lil bro'.
Ranger School Graduation is a great moment in time that all attending will never forget. Job Well Done :wink:
Now where's that food? :lol:
2/75 C Co. 81-84
Ranger Class 14-82
"Cry Havoc Let Slip The Dogs of War"
1st SPWAR Tng Bn (Abn) USAJFKSWCS 87'
RLTW !
Mentor to J.P. Deepwater
RIP Class 02-07
Ranger Class 09-07
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

Congratulations Blueskiesalways I guess this means you done good mom.............and HE DID TOO I MIGHT ADD!!!
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”