If your parachute disagrees with you..

Ground Week, Tower Week, Jump Week.
Poetryisdeath
Embryo

If your parachute disagrees with you..

Post by Poetryisdeath »

If your parachute decides to go FUBAR, or you messed up packing it, what do you while falling? I heard the story about Ranger Laws falling and moving into another jumper's paracute, but I have a doubt that that's SOP.

What exactly is the plan? Pucker and pray, or do they teach you any techniques at BAS?

Respectfully, PiD.
Ranger Terry Welshan wrote:Run fast, stay awake, dont drown, dont fail, that should cover it.
I just want to do what I can for my country, with the best that I can.
Vee
Ranger

Post by Vee »

Let's worry about making it through Reception BN first, EH? :roll:
RSD 96-99
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Vee wrote:Let's worry about making it through Reception BN first, EH? :roll:

Ranger Vee is correct. Besides, you don't pack your own chute. Someone else qualified to do it does. And that's individual's name is inside your chute. Jumping with a parachute is safer than riding a bus in certain cities. :shock:
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

You must be losin' sleep.You don't pack your own 'chute.You will be taught all necessary actions in the event of malfunction.Don't worry you'll have plenty of time.You've got the rest of your life! :lol: :lol: :lol:
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
RGR_Dan
Ranger

chute

Post by RGR_Dan »

Yeah and I don't want to hear anymore about "chute packing"
95-98 Aco. 3/75 2nd plt Weapons Sqd
98-01Hco 121st LRS
Former LEO
Former Contractor
LEO (round 2)
Ripcord
Tadpole

Post by Ripcord »

The Black Hats Told us don't worry if your main malfunctions use your reserve if it don't work either don't worry, when you hit the ground jump back up and shout AIRBORNE ,and we will give you 2 more and let you try again :lol:
A/2-501 Anb Inf 101st Abn
RVN 1970/1971 Northern I Corps
If You Have Not Made Out A Will Do So now ,SSG H Breifing new Troopers In Viet-Nam
Wakan Tanka Nici Un
Ripcord , Drive on
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Poetryisdeath wrote:If your parachute decides to go FUBAR, or you messed up packing it, what do you while falling?
I usually bring along a pocket book to read so that at least I will die an educated man. I try to make it a short book so that I will have time to finish it.

Something along the lines of:

- Al Gore: The Wild Years
- Amelia Earhart's Guide to the Pacific Ocean
- America's Most Popular Lawyers
- Career Opportunities for History Majors
- Detroit - A Travel Guide
- Different Ways to Spell "Bob"
- Dr. Kevorkian's Collection of Motivational Speeches
- Ethiopian Tips on World Dominance
- French Hospitality
- George Foreman's Big Book of Baby Names
- How to Sustain a Musical Career by Art Garfunkel
- One Hundred and One Spotted Owl Recipes by the EPA
- Staple Your Way to Success
- The Amish Phone Book
- Valorous combat acts of Senator John Kerry.
- Favorite drinking recipes of the Mormon Church.
- Cooking with Pork for Muslims.
etc....
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

That's what you go to Airborne School for, Einstein. It doesn't take three weeks to make five jumps. What do you think they do in the other 2.5 weeks? Circle jerks?

You will be adequately prepared for the techincal aspects of airborne ops before you are allowed to make your first jump. There is more involved than simply allowing gravity to do the work. They are not gonna throw a dumbass out of a bird that has not been taught what to do and when to do it.

Right now, you need to worry about the NCOs at the Reception Batt that are gonna hurt your feelings more than how to execute immediate action for a partial or complete malfunction. And no, steering towards your buddy who still has lift is not the proper method to try to survive a partial malfuntion. You won't have very much, if any lift at all, and you sure as Hell ain't got time to steer shit. All you know is that it is windy as fuck and you are about to die. Hesitate for a second, and it's lawn darts. You wanna know what is the proper technique? Make it through BAC and find out.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Just do push-ups. :roll:
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
knightcat
Ranger

damn.....

Post by knightcat »

I knew I forgot something about AIRBORNE school..... How do you pack your chute again????? If it doesn't open, just undo your leg straps and try and get a confirmed kill by landing on the enemy and don't forget to perform a perfect RLF!
You better pack a lunch......because I'll be hungry when I'm done beating your ass!!

RS class 05-06
28JUNE2005- R.I.P. brothers 146
C-1 Madslashers 2/75 (Sept. '04- Nov. '07)
RIP Sarn't Mac.....
ImportsRsloths
Ranger

Post by ImportsRsloths »

when i went to airborne school they gave me a reserve in case the main didn't work, but they said it was in the experimental phase and when hippy ass Poetryisdeath comes there they arent going to issue reserves... TOO BAD
It's Mind over Matter. If you don't Mind, it won't Matter.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

I usually do what Ranger Spartan does. Or I take a nap. One time I was pretty hungover, and I didn't even wake up when I bounced. Got my ass smoked for that one, and STILL had to ruck back to the barracks.
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

Vee wrote:Let's worry about making it through Reception BN first, EH? :roll:
There are all types of "malfunctions" that can occur young soldier, you will get plenty of instruction during Airborne School to determine "what to do if you experience a total malfuntion".

If you're scared then I guess it would be a real concern, most of us couldn't wait to jump out of a perfectly good airplane (especially since women do it on a regular basis).

Keep that in mind when you start to think about "what if", and if you ever do experience a total malfunction maybe you'll get lucky and land on one of those female cutie-pies you've had your eye on, takes more guts to get laid at 3000 ft than it ever did at 1 mile up :twisted: .
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
Poetryisdeath
Embryo

Post by Poetryisdeath »

Thank you, Rangers and Veterans, I apologize for wasting your time.
Ranger Terry Welshan wrote:Run fast, stay awake, dont drown, dont fail, that should cover it.
I just want to do what I can for my country, with the best that I can.

Return to “About Airborne School”