Moderator: Site Admin

Bell

Post by Bell »

Congratulations and good luck David.

RLTW
Bell
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

You will find yourself a unique bird at your age, 25 years old and just becoming a soldier. If you're in shape - Are you? - you should not have major problems. Expect your maturity to lead you to positions of responsibility for your training unit such as squad leader, platoon leader, etc...., there is a student chain of command. The only others who are selected for that, besides the older-new soldiers are prior service. And I don't know if they allow prior service into that MOS.

Have a good time with it, this will probably put all the other things you've done in your life up to this point to shame - unless you've been a gigilo or a rock star.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

Originally posted by pneves
And I don't know if they allow prior service into that MOS.
They do let prior service in. Had a former 11b during my 13F osut adventure.

Enjoy yourself at Ft. Sill. Its a lovely shithole for one to start their military career. Keeps your expectations low, especially if you're in A1/22. You'll have fun during AIT, but beyond that...
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Keal wrote: Speaking of the 5 mile run, I have a question for the RANGERS.

When I leave for basic, I plan on being able to do the 5 mile in at least 40 min. Will I get enough distance running in Basic/AIT/Airborne to maintain that level or improve the time so as to pass that section of RIP?
What are you talking about? You're not inviting Shitfire to comment on his running only to sum up the whole thing with "But Gee, since I don't have a reference point, please ignore my entire post?"

If you are entering being able to run 8 miles @ 40 minutes, you should be good to go. But, NEVER aim for the minimums. You should plan on putting in some OT on the track prior to leaving for Airborne and RIP and even more so at Airborne School as you'll only have a few weeks left. Don't be like PHR and waste it all in the beer barn. We'd rather hear later that you made it through RIP than to hear every freaking detail about Airborne School cause you're in it now. Stay focused. There will be plenty of time for beer later.

In a Ranger Bn, and at RIP, the goal is to continually smoke yourself and force yourself to go beyond what you think your capabilities are. I had a friend who I ran with after the Q Course and we would push each other hard, running 12 miles at about a 6:30-6:40 pace on . Generally speaking, I hate running, but if it is x-country I don't mind. It is easier to keep your mind busy than running on a road or a track. And if you've got some big boy to punish by making him run hard and work hard, it's quite enjoyable. It's all a mental game and as soon as you get through the rough mechanics of figuring out what you think you can do, you'll be challenged to take it faster/farther.

Return to “The Mosh Pit”