Soldiers' return to work not business as usual

Turning warriors into productive civilian leaders: Employment & Education, Dealing with Veteran's Administration, etc.

Moderator: Site Admin

Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Soldiers' return to work not business as usual

Post by Steadfast »

Americans back from Iraq relieved but wary in job force.
By Eric Engleman
Puget Sound Business Journal (Seattle)
Updated: 7:20 a.m. ET Nov. 9, 2004

Lt. Col. George Abbott of the Washington National Guard spends much of his time these days dodging sniper bullets and explosives while running supply convoys out of Camp Anaconda, a U.S. military outpost about 45 miles north of Baghdad.

But in a few short months, the battalion commander is due to return to his quiet civilian job making . . . . . more: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6434954/

RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
1000ydstare
Embryo

Post by 1000ydstare »

I think many of the Soldier's won't want to make the transition and will attmept to be released from the Reserves or NG to stay on active duty. Once it gets in your blood it's hard to just turn it all off and go back to civilian life. I feel for those having to make that transition, I know it can't be easy.
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

1000ydstare wrote:I think many of the Soldier's won't want to make the transition and will attmept to be released from the Reserves or NG to stay on active duty. Once it gets in your blood it's hard to just turn it all off and go back to civilian life. I feel for those having to make that transition, I know it can't be easy.
It's not that bad. People make it out to be worse than it is and like to say shit like, Ive been trained to kill...yadayada....Some do have problems. Best thing a man can do is take 30 days off and go unwind. Vacation in the mountains, get trimmed, soak in a hot shower for an hour a day, play with the kids and decompress. Fish and fuck off, hike, breath the Air. Get to know your family again. The stress becomes a memory....listen to the Pastor, he's done this. :wink:
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
VAK
USAF Veteran

Post by VAK »

Great advise and wise words...

In all things hasty decisions make for long hard look's back and regretfull thoughts of "Oh, fuck why did I...." or "Why didn't I..." Take that time to decompress that our Pastor preaches, does wonders for the mind, body and soul.

Godspeed,
usaftacp
"Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
(Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe)

Mentor to those who would seek to be CAS God's
RgrHunter
Ranger

From expierance

Post by RgrHunter »

I can tell you all that the transition back into the civilan sector is harder than joining intially. I have found that the disicpline and attitude carry you a long way but the people you are surrounded with on a daily basis have no sense on intestinal fortitude or anything of that nature. Everyone is out for themselves. True, there are the exceptions to the rule, but those type are few and VERY far between.
Rgr Hunter
Bco/HHC 1/75-'97-'03
Random Intensity
RLTW
VAK
USAF Veteran

Post by VAK »

We're actually giving some transitional classes and further Big Army's initiating their part to commit to this effort as well. But, if you're not one who is fortunate enough to have a job awaiting you in the private sector it would be an outstanding time, better than any in history as a matter of fact to look into the legilation we've put into place to assist with small business grants, job retraining incentives, GI Bill restructuring and most importantly the Fed's/State's got so very many openings that it's amazing and OEF/OIF are high on preferential pts. It's a great jump off point...

Going in and getting started is just contacting any service officer at a local VA, further it's a good way to get a new start. I should have also mentioned that the new small business grants or loans in some of these cases are low to no interests. And the other thing I was remiss in not mentioning is the fact that if you left your position to go to a deployment and your position is held by law and further it's not the 18 mos. that it used to be, the law has extended the job hold time.

Feel free to PM me for any assistance on this topic or search through the links to find the appropriate links to the VA website for more information.

Good Luck and Godspeed,
usaftacp
"Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
(Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe)

Mentor to those who would seek to be CAS God's
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

Well,

I don't know about the 'being trained to kill' attitude; but, for me, the transition was difficult, and still sucks. It still seems so unnatural to deal with people who would rather work twice as hard trying to figure a way out of doing something, than just doing what the hell they're supposed to do. One of 'those' people just walked into my office; what a coinsidence. I almost hate it. But, now it is hard for me to go back. I have a family(wife), 3 cars, a crap load of house shit, lots of bills, and more income than my SFC friend currently has.

If I thought I could swing it, I'd be back in a heart beat.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
BRanger91
Ranger

Post by BRanger91 »

I still havent figured out wh yUncle Sam hasn't just offered to turn soldiers reserve contracts into AD. It would make it easier if they did.
C co 3/75 91-93 'The Rock'
OIF 04-05
dyks
Ranger

Post by dyks »

Man I had hell with the transition. When, at a young age, you become accustomed to working with the highest caliber of leadership, work ethic, and integrity, it makes it very hard to jump into the land of the fat, lazy, and happy and immediately assimilate. It took me about 2 years of partying and lawless mayhem before I was able to be "normal" again and work for people with more position than ability, and follow directives from fat cops who wouldn't know leadership by example if it fucked them in the ass. All that and I only spent 4 years in the Army with no combat time. I don't think I would have been able to do it if I had been in the shit or re-enlisted for more. But hey that's just me. I will say that getting used to more women wasn't very difficult. If I could only find a hot, loyal, intelligent chick that will pay me to fuck her I'd be a happily employed civilian. Let me know if any of you hear of a job "opening".
B CO 3/75 96-98

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
Mbretl
Egg

Post by Mbretl »

Easy transition?????? No way - ACAP doesn't do a thing for a soldier - maybe for the soft MOS's - not for a soldier. It'll take a while. We don't need classes and education on getting a job. We've done a harder jobs than the majority of the civilains. The ACAP instructors think thay are qualified and know where we are coming from because thay are retired Finance NCO's from the 1970's? Get a grip - They haven't got a freking clue. Where are we going to get a job? Be a driver? Maneul Labor? Ride a desk? Answer phones? You think I'm going to sit on an interview and listen to some whistle dick ask me what I would do if there was someone in the office who I didn't get along with. MF Please. What do you think I've done for the last 22 years? I've dealt with more than you and you're civilain pinhead friends can throw this way.

My retirement is final tomorrow- No way I'm going to find a job anytime soon.
Fco 51st Inf LRSU - AKA Fun 51

Return to “Post Service Issues”