Introduction - Blake

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

blakebishop2007
Embryo

Introduction - Blake

Post by blakebishop2007 »

Hi, I'm Blake, I'm 16 years old turning 17 in August 2024. I am from Texas. I have recently left regular schooling to do an accelerated homeschooling program, so that I can complete 11th and 12th grade before I turn 17.

I don't have similar experiences to many other people. I have lived in 10 different houses (my parents want to move again too), 3 different countries, 2 different continents. I have not grown up an American. My parents are not in the military either, they're actually against it. I have grown up in Australia most of my life, but I want to be an American and I'm going back. My parents were both born in Texas, I was too. Most of my motivation to do homeschooling is so I can finish school early next year and leave.

I'm interested in going back to Texas and living with my family there until I'm eligible to get an Option 40 contract with 11x. If I cant get a contract ever I could also do Green Berets. I also don't know how I can join if I was 17 and my parents are in a different country, maybe other family members can help out - though it's a bit scummy since my parents dont really want me in the military, especially not infantry.

I'm worried that people will give me nicknames and call me out for "not being American" but I was born there and I want to be one.

I don't sound Australian and I sound American enough that friends that I've made at Army cadets and defence work experience here call me "Texas" so that's lucky.

I'm taking initiative and am not going to go through life the same as other people, and am going back to Texas early next year when I'm still 16, after finishing school early. I also have no interest in talking to other military members about living in Australia and how I've moved around when I am in the Army.

Pushups - 53 I've probably done more I just don't have it recorded
Situps - 100
Pullups - 10
2 Mile - 11:53

But my running is horrible, and I've only done that through motivation, I need to be more disciplined and many times I don't finish the 2 miles. I know I can do it and thats why I did. But I've been battleing my running skills since I used to be extremely weak and unfit.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Re: Introduction - Blake

Post by Disinfertention »

blakebishop2007 wrote: November 5th, 2023, 2:30 pm Hi, I'm Blake
Blake, welcome to the site. First, your run time is actually exceptional. Unless that time of 11 minutes was a typo.

I think you are very concerned about what others will think of you, which is appropriate for your age. However, you know what you want to do at this stage in your life and what others think, even your peers in Basic training, is not really important. You have goals. Go after them. Goals will change over time, that is ok. If you were born here, no one needs or will make fun of you outside of normal banter I am sure.

If you want to join at 17 like I did your parents need to sign off on you joining. Yes that will be difficult to do if they do not want you to join. The only way your family in the states can agree is if they legally adopt you or become your guardian. The simplest thing to do is to be 18 years old and then the choice is on you.

Why are your parents so against joining the service or being in the States? Do you think they will actually let you move back to Texas with the rest of your family before you are 18?
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
blakebishop2007
Embryo

Thank you. Yes 11 is right, it's now 11:47 but my running is not consistent enough. I appreciate all the feedback. I was thinking that it would have to be at 18 years old. My dad doesn't want to go back to America because of the state of division and political problems there but ever since visiting there I've wanted to stay and I don't care about current problems because I believe it can get better.

My mother wants me to go to college and I have talked to her continuously about moving back and she is kind of okay with it. I've moved myself to an accelerated schooling program at home meaning I can finish high school before I turn 17. I will say I'm planning to do college in America because my parents want that, that enables me to go back after I finish high school at 17.

My mom is fine with me staying with family but I am going to get my own apartment while there.

I hate waiting and delaying my future so I'm going to try to get to Texas as soon as I can.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

blakebishop2007 wrote: December 27th, 2023, 1:40 pm I hate waiting and delaying my future so I'm going to try to get to Texas as soon as I can.
I think you have a plan but I would try to not flat out lie about your intentions. It is your situation so obviously your call - you know your family better than anyone else. Part of being an adult is owning your decisions and accepting the consequences. The consequence of this decision is waiting. The consequences of the other may not talking to your family? I know some folks are wild. Just something to consider.

Keep us updated on your PT progress and how you are doing!
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
blakebishop2007
Embryo

Thank you, you are very correct and something I have to keep in mind. I know I need to value my word

TL;DR: Today did 2 mile in 11:30, 110 situps, 11 pullups, max 29 pushups in row. I need to get off my ass

Today PT: 2 mile in 11:30, 110 situps (although got poorer form at the end), 11 pullups, max 29 pushups in row

I have not run since the 7th of November (11:47) because I am being a dickhead

that time does not come easy for me and it is actually extremely hard. It was on a treadmill so it was easier, I could not do that on a track but one day I can.

3 runs ago was 12:38 (at the time a personal best) and 4 runs ago - 18:30

I wasn't born muscular or raised but for 2+ years I have been trying to fix that so body wise I am now average.

I have also not been training hard physically for a while which has caused my pushups to decline. Only small amounts of exercise which is not the way I should be.

Accomplishing what I did today made me feel much better than in a long time so I absolutely have to stop being a bitch and get off my ass

I have realized I am not very disciplined and actually rely lots on motivation. My life used to be in a way worse position and I was living like that for the majority of this year, but getting myself out of that I have been getting more comfortable and doing less exercise like a dumbass.

Although I have just been feeling like shit but me running like that just before writing this, which kicked my ass, has absolutely made me feel great
blakebishop2007
Embryo

The reason why I was able to do that run time today was because I need to be an Army Ranger and I can not disapoint any Ranger on this site; motivation

It wasn't discipline, if it was I would have been doing that time every single day
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

blakebishop2007 wrote: December 29th, 2023, 5:10 am The reason why I was able to do that run time today was because I need to be an Army Ranger and I can not disapoint any Ranger on this site; motivation

It wasn't discipline, if it was I would have been doing that time every single day
Discipline, motivation, determination. The words aren't interchangeable but they are hard to sit by themselves without the other to some level. Your self deprecating comments are understandable as many of us do it. I'd challenge you to speak about yourself positively. It is very easy for me to sit back and tear myself apart in my head or talking about myself. I am my own worst critic - and you, yours. Be kind to yourself. Even if you believe you are lazy or not on the track, get there. Give yourself some leeway. You're young and have lots going on. Get out this week and follow up on your training goals. Even just 1 or 2 days a week. Increase it as you get closer to your goal of joining.

You are doing great things and have a long road in front of you. It is a marathon especially for you. Not a sprint.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
blakebishop2007
Embryo

Will do, sir.
Run 11:21
Pushups 51 in 2 min (not in a row but never go on ground)
BlueLiner
Ranger/Admin

Post by BlueLiner »

Blake,

A "Roger, Ranger Disinfertention" is the standard. Do pushups.

Also, post SITREP.
RASP 7-19
RS 9-20
Mentee to Ranger Slowpoke
"Get that lumber in his teeth! Let 'em know you're there!" - Reggie Dunlop
PUT ON THE FOIL!
blakebishop2007
Embryo

Roger, Ranger BlueLiner.

Did (25 + 1) x4 pushups.

I'm moving houses again (not alone, as a family) and my day is consistent of studying school. Something I dislike. Oh well.

My mother has wanted me to do the SAT (while being overseas) for a long time, and I have realized if I get a perfect 1600 SAT score it's reasonably hard for my parents to tell me I am not allowed to go back to America. I can get to America 2x sooner that way, I also do better "academically" for whatever that is worth. My mom knows I want to go back to America; she says "wait after the election [she doesn't want a certain sleepy candidate to win again]"

For that reason I am studying all day. I am not completely stupid, but not the smartest. My first practice SAT I got an 1120 score. After a month I'm at 1400. I am not exercising much, although I'm still getting 2 hrs in of boxing every week. At least there's that.

Doing this may be cutting my prep and training time from 1.5 years to 1 year.

What I know is if I can't make it with 2 months prep, I would never make it with 1 year prep, 2 year prep, anything.

Failure isn't allowed to happen.

Additionally, doing 100 pushups makes me think about how much I love training. I'm looking to get my ass kicked, I want that hard shit so I can improve, not sit in a damn desk. But if sitting in one is what getting to be an Army Ranger and an American now, not later, entails - I'll do that.
BlueLiner
Ranger/Admin

Post by BlueLiner »

Blake, you need to do what you think is right for you. No one can make that decision for you, your parents can't, and your siblings can't. You need to look inside yourself and decide what YOU want to do.

In terms of preparing physically while balancing school work, I know that is not easy. From that though, you are learning first hand what time management is, and how to effectively employ it. Time management was one of the best things I ever learned during my time in Regiment, it helps you stay accountable to your team, and yourself.

I want you to watch a video when you read this, go on Regiment's youtube channel and watch the video about the 2nd Ranger Company in Korea. Post a 2 paragraph response in what the video meant to you, what you learned, and what you think the common trait is that is in every Ranger.

Looking forward to your next post, keep us updated! Also do pushups.
RLTW!
RASP 7-19
RS 9-20
Mentee to Ranger Slowpoke
"Get that lumber in his teeth! Let 'em know you're there!" - Reggie Dunlop
PUT ON THE FOIL!
blakebishop2007
Embryo

Roger, Ranger BlueLiner.

Something that stood out to me was how they called artillery fire onto their own position to combat the Chinese soldiers. I think that alone shows a lot about what being a Ranger is. When I watched that video, I thought these men displayed selflessness, strength, grit, and determination. Their history serves as a reminder about facing challenges. The major thing I took away from the video was sacrifice and resilience - that for the benefit of others you might just have to put yourself in extreme danger and undergo harsh situations.

What I think being a Ranger may be about is giving it your all no matter the circumstances; having the bare minimum, or less, and performing as if you had everything. It's also about sacrifice, putting the mission and the country above yourself. If you were to list words to describe a Ranger, I would go with: resilience, selflessness, strength, grit, determination, patriotism, mindset, "warrior" spirit, going out there and facing adversities head on.
blakebishop2007
Embryo

For "benefit of others" I mean as in the good of American Citizens, other soldiers, ect.*
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

blakebishop2007 wrote: February 28th, 2024, 1:12 am Failure isn't allowed to happen.
Hey Blake,

I've been keeping up with your post but sometimes I don't have much to say. Don't like to type just to do it.

I would say it is allowed to happen in many circumstances and does happen. In my own personal experience, having the mentality that failure cannot happen sets you up for massive disappointment. We don't plan to fail but we have a plan if we give it our all and it doesn't go how we expected. "It is possible to make no mistakes and still lose. That is not weakness, that is life". Can paraphrase that how you see fit but you get the point. If we always succeeded on the first attempt we wouldn't use PACE for planning. The PACE concepts accepts that your first option may not be the best because the "enemy" whether it be yourself, weather, technology, or anything else gets a vote.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
blakebishop2007
Embryo

Roger, Ranger Disinfertention.

Am now looking to what my P.A.C.E plan could be to become a part of SOF. With medical issues my chance of coming back to RASP is still there. Maybe I get sent back on medical to pre-rasp to recycle. If I am sent to Big Army maybe I can return through RASP 2?

There was a Delta Force Operator on the Shawn Ryan Show who was RFS'd from Regiment, but eventually made his way to Delta Force. There are many things that could happen and I willl need to plan accordingly, knowing that I can improve.

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”