Intro - Ary

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

neverbeenawinner
Egg

Intro - Ary

Post by neverbeenawinner »

Hi, my name is Ary, I'm currently in college studying Computer Science and will be graduating December 2024. I'm planning on enlisting after graduation in some sort of intel contract (35P/N/M) and volunteering for RASP. I am 19 years old and have been interested in the military all my life. I've joined this forum to gain some insight about what being a ranger is like, as well as ideas to prepare. Here are my current stats.

Pushups: 40
Sit-ups: N/A
Pull ups: 11
2 Mile run: 14:49
5 Mile run: N/A

I'm not in amazing shape, but I recognize I have a lot of time to get in shape. I've been running 15ish miles and once school opens up next week, I will begin going to the campus gym.

Thanks for having me here!
BlueLiner
Ranger/Admin

Re: Intro - Ary

Post by BlueLiner »

Ary, welcome to the site. Tell us more about yourself, why do you want to be a Ranger? Did you play team sports growing up? Your PT scores are pretty low, however you gotta start from somewhere. Take the time in your preparation to improve your scores, and post here in 2 weeks an updated RFT to include the 5 mile run so you can get an actual baseline. I advise that you read the entirety of the Letters From School thread to see what is on your horizon if you choose to pursue this path. Also check out the PT section on this forum, there are many threads about RFT improvement that you can do.

Learn the Ranger Creed and start applying it to your daily life, and for future reference always capitalize Ranger, read the rules.

Keep us updated!
RASP 7-19
RS 9-20
Mentee to Ranger Slowpoke
"Get that lumber in his teeth! Let 'em know you're there!" - Reggie Dunlop
PUT ON THE FOIL!
neverbeenawinner
Egg

Hi Ranger BlueLiner,
I want to become a Ranger because I want to contribute to something that is bigger than just me. I've always been interested in the military and remember as a 3rd grader reading about the SEALS PTing with "old misery". I played soccer when I was younger, but never too seriously. The sport that really changed my outlook on myself and physical training was wrestling, I'm a pretty small guy and never really saw myself as someone who could play sports like basketball or football, but wrestling was an even playing field. I still wrestle at my school's club and also train Jiu-Jitsu.

I know my PT scores are quite low, but I have a lot of time to improve, my main concern right now is putting on some size and working on my aerobic base. As I said I've been running 15 (zone 2) miles a week and this past week have been in the gym 3x working on heavy compound lifts. I will be sure to read the Letters from School thread as well as the PT section. I will also definitely learn the Ranger Creed also. I'll try to keep you updated as often as possible, its disappointing seeing old introductions of inactive members with no other posts. Apologies for the capitalization error, I hadn't read the rules in its entirety.

Ary
BlueLiner
Ranger/Admin

Post by BlueLiner »

Ary,

One of the biggest advantages you have on this website is that you have time, and you have time to do research on your goals. Hundreds of people just like you have come and gone from here, some with their scroll and some without. Hopefully when you read the Letters From School Thread you'll see what the major difference was between successful mentees, and unsuccessful mentees. Start learning Ranger History too, it's important.
RASP 7-19
RS 9-20
PUT ON THE FOIL!
neverbeenawinner
Egg

Ranger Blueliner,
I've done lots of research on the Regiment and have read/listened to people speak about their experiences going through training as well as their life in the Regiment. I know this is what I want, and I am willing to put in the effort to achieve my goals. I've taken a look at some of the Letters from School threads, and I've found them very interesting offering a unique perspective on their thoughts throughout their journey. I've read a lot of books about SF, but will definitely need to read up on the Regiment, are there any books you recommend? I've heard "Sua Sponte", and "Violence of Action" are good books about Rangers.
BlueLiner
Ranger/Admin

Post by BlueLiner »

Ary,

The most interesting part of Regiment in my opinion, is how it is mainly comprised of young Rangers who got there straight from OSUT or AIT which has been the standard for decades now. Regiment is designed like this for a reason, and you'll hopefully figure out that reason if you get here. The biggest thing that we stress to hopefuls on this site is to prepare as best as you can, because if you show up to Pre-RASP half-prepared you are only shooting yourself in the foot.

You brought up books. You can read all the books about Regiment that you want, but this will only get you so far. You need to keep in mind that physical preparation is your number one priority to meet the stressors of the selection and assessment, but this is also your 50m target as of now. Signing the Option 40 contract is your priority right now (your 5m target), and getting it with the MOS that YOU want. Regiment is constantly expanding into different job fields, so I would get with a recruiter and start the process of finding what YOU want. Do not let the recruiters sign you for a job or Option that you do not want. So in these next months, I'm gonna give you some tasks to do that will help you prepare.

1. Explain to us what an Airborne Ranger In The Sky is, and why Regiment takes this very seriously.
2. Look into the various MOS opportunities that the Regiment is looking for, I bet you'll find a job that you didn't know could get an Option 40 attached to it.
3. Watch Ronald Reagan's D-day speech about the Rangers at Pointe-Du-Hoc
4. Take a self admistered RFT, post your scores every two weeks. The standard is 58 pushups, 69 situps, 5 mile run in under 40 minutes, and 6 chin ups. (Keep in mind this is the BARE MINIMUM, YOUR GOAL IS TO GO WAY ABOVE AND BEYOND THE STANDARD)

Update us on your progress when you can. Good Luck!

-BL
RASP 7-19
RS 9-20
PUT ON THE FOIL!

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”