Almost there...

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
NoMoreRegrets
Tadpole

Almost there...

Post by NoMoreRegrets »

In order to tape in at MEPS, I have to lose about another 1.5" around the gut. I've come a long way, but I'm still a fat ass and still have a long way to go before I'm RIP-ready. That first milestone, MEPS, however, is within my grasp and I want to get it done before Thanksgiving. So, I'm soliciting some advice, because I've been stuck for about 2-3 weeks and I need to get unstuck.

My PT has been almost entirely running and cardio for the last 2 months. I can now beat the 15:22 2-mile time (barely), so it's had some dividends. I'm limiting my calorie intake to <1000 calories per day and I'm averaging (over the last 3 weeks) about 1800 calories of exercise output per day. By my calculations, I should be shedding gut like a cat sheds hair. And indeed that was the case for the first week or two of this intensified regime, but the weight/inch loss has been stalled for about a week and half and it's quite disconcerting.

I will do anything to make it - I have to. I've got a little over 3 weeks here to get 'er done. I covet whatever advice that anybody can lend.

Quick update: Have met with my recruiter, 85 AFQT, everything is squared away except for the last remnants of this 14 year old spare tire. I understand that there is a Ranger that works out of the same recruiting station in Dallas where I am going, but I didn't get to meet him yet. I'm scheduled to go back in to get taped again in two weeks - hopefully I can meet him then.
NoMoreRegrets
- better late than never.
Bell

Post by Bell »

Cut that calorie intake. If ya don't eat you can't gain. 3 weeks? Go hungry for awhile.

Hope it isn't Plavney you'll be talking to. :D

RLTW
Bell
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Good point - do you have a 'Ranger Recruiter' named Plavney as your recruiter?
NoMoreRegrets
Tadpole

Post by NoMoreRegrets »

Spartan wrote:Good point - do you have a 'Ranger Recruiter' named Plavney as your recruiter?
Haven't met him yet Ranger Spartan, but I just put a call in to my recruiter to find out what his name is (left a message). I hope it's not... if it is, do I have anything to be concerned about?
NoMoreRegrets
NoMoreRegrets
Tadpole

Post by NoMoreRegrets »

Bell wrote:Cut that calorie intake. If ya don't eat you can't gain. 3 weeks? Go hungry for awhile.
Ranger Bell, if 0 cal intake is what I need to do, it's what I'll do. The only reason I haven't tried that is that I read that <800 cal intake will put your metabolism into "starvation mode" and it will hold onto its fat reserves even harder. Maybe 1000 cals one day, 0 the next.. alternate them? I don't really have any experience on what would work best. I haven't been able to find any good advice out there on rapid loss. The advice not to lose too quick is abundant ("not good for your health") and all the bullshit miracle formulas create so much extra noise it's hard to find any solid guidance on how to get the best short-term results when you really need to. I know it's better to lose it slowly, and I have been, but I'm running out of time here so I need to crank it up a notch, at least for a few weeks so that I can get DEP'ed in and set to go.
NoMoreRegrets
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

go atkins for a week and see what happens.

zero out the carbs and just test the waters.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
NoMoreRegrets
Tadpole

Post by NoMoreRegrets »

Alright.. done. 12 pounds, 1.5 inches, 4 days. I have eaten hardly a thing since Lunch on Monday and I've been running 8+ miles/day. Just had a little granola last night because I was starting to feel like I was going to pass out when I stood up. Going to keep it up through Friday for extra measure. I've got MEPS scheduled for Monday. Should be good to go. I'll keep you posted.
NoMoreRegrets
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

if you go through friday, you're body will go into sponge mode. anything you eat with carbs will send your body into store mode. the pounds will come back on almost instantly. eat very little amounts of ca, and drinrbs right nowk lots of water. go until you pass the tape at MEPS, then repair yourself.

you can do this again at ship day if need be. we only need to get you through the door.

drive on.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
carbon metal man
Egg

Body Scultping Bible For Men

Post by carbon metal man »

I went from 22% to less than 10% in about 3 months. That's not thanksgiving but I dropped alot. I'm skinny as hell now. But what I'd do is cut out ALL unneeded fats. Drink skim milk but mostly drink water. Drop down to about 2000 cals a day. Do about 40 mins of cardio every morning before eating. You'll drop weight fast my friend. Personally I woudln't loose more than 2 lbs a week. I went from 180 to 160. Sadly I'm 6'2" so I need to gain me some muscle mass. I'm almost to a 180 on my apft.
When a woman acts like a man, why can't she act like a nice man?
NoMoreRegrets
Tadpole

Post by NoMoreRegrets »

Missed the tape by 1/8". They take three measurements and average them. Also, they have yet to receive my college transcripts, so I couldn't have finalized my contract anyway. Going to reschedule for Thursday. I'm taking off of work for the next 3 days. Going to do nothing but PT all day long until I get to MEPS again.

Took the official ASVAB at MEPS... 99 AFQT, 138 GT... so that's out of the way. Focused 100% on the PT now. Should have everything wrapped up on the contract by Thursday, I expect. I'll keep you posted.

And on that 1/8", I'm kicking myself. I kept my cals low over the weekend, but I didn't take the hard line that I had originally intended. I was really dragging ass tired, I think from lack of food. So I ate some, but didn't PT too much. Close, but no cigar. I'll get it though, and I'll post back here with my update.

To tell the truth, I was nervous about taking the ASVAB. Seeing as how I could really only get one shot at it - if I didn't score high enough, I wouldn't be able to test again before I would be forced to take a contract on what I did have. Then, to boot, I didn't really feel like I did all that well on the test. Then when I got the score sheet I did a double-take. Oh well, another milestone down.... feels good.
NoMoreRegrets
Vee
Ranger

Post by Vee »

With a GT score like that, yer gonna have to fight for something other than a soft-skill. Mine was 129 and they told me it was too high for infantry.

Of course it was BULLSHIT but I didn't know that.

Your MOS will MAKE your Army and your Ranger career. If know what you want then you need to stand your ground and fight for it.

As Ranger Bell is so fond of saying "Don't sign anything unless its exactly what you want!"
RSD 96-99
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

With a GT score like that, yer gonna have to fight for something other than a soft-skill. Mine was 129 and they told me it was too high for infantry.
they'll give him whatever he wants provided he passes the physical, Ranger Vee.

He shouldn't have a problem.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Vee
Ranger

Post by Vee »

hit_it wrote:
they'll give him whatever he wants provided he passes the physical, Ranger Vee.

He shouldn't have a problem.
I don't want to argue, by any means.

My recruiter told me the same thing. But when I got to Denver and tried to get Infantry they told me that they want the higher scores to fill the other jobs.

I was a bit wet behind the ears. I wish someone had told me to hold out for 11B....but we didn't have the internet back then. I just wanted him to know that he doesn't have to settle for something else if thats what he hears like I did.
RSD 96-99
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

great point, Ranger.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg

Return to “Recruitment Process”