Introduction-John H

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

john_havel
Embryo

Introduction-John H

Post by john_havel »

Hello everyone,

My name is John Havel, I live out on Long Island and Im 16 years old. Im in my junior year of high school

I guess ive hit that point in my life where i need to start thinking about my future. I feel like im not cut out for college, its not like i cant go to a college its just that im not about that lifestyle. Especially today seeing and hearing about whats going on at colleges, it seems like your free speech is limited to what a select few want to here, the place where your supposed to spread ideas and express free speech is ironically restricting that. Ive always been interested in military service while believing in serving my country before exploiting it, i come from a family with some military history behind it. My Grandfather was in the 2nd ID during korea, my Uncle was a UDT in the navy before they introduced the SEAL teams, and my Great Grandfather fought in WW1 (dont know much about his service). Having looked over my options I decided that im going to enlist in the army at 17 and hopefully my recruiter can get me an 11x contract with an option 40.

I joined this site to seek help from this community so that I can one day join the elite fighting force that is the 75th Ranger Regiment. Im not an outstanding individual, i am not the smartest, fastest, nor the strongest but when placed in a team thats where i belong and that is exactly what i want, I want to be apart of a community where i can share the same bond with others just like the blood bond i have between me and my family members. I feel like the Regiment can fulfil that.

I say thank you to everyone who has served and is currently serving, without you guys the safety and security of our nation would not be possible. To the members of this site i am truly grateful for your service and i appreciate what you guys are doing now, trying to help people achieve their goals is a beautiful thing and i thank you for any advice or information that will help aid me along my path towards Becoming a member of the 75th Ranger Regiment
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction-John H

Post by Jim »

Welcome John. If you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you're at the right site. We at ArmyRanger.com take a great deal of pride in the young men who pass through here on their life journey. Please tell us more about yourself. Most of the questions you might have can be addressed by using the search feature, located on the top left of this page. Please read the FAQs, as well as select stickies and threads. I see you have not completed a PT Test; please self-administer one and post it to this thread within the next 72 hours. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
john_havel
Embryo

Post by john_havel »

Thanks for the heads up about the PT test Ranger Jim, I'll get it done as soon as possible!
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Welcome. First bit of advice I will offer is to stop typing like you're texting your friends. Attention to detail is key here, and your initial post is painful to read.

I understand you're only 16, and good on you for having the forethought to take this step in your life, make It easier on yourself by communicating like an adult with proper grammar and capitalization.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, John.

RLTW!!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

Welcome John. I joined when I was 17 but that was because I dropped out of high school. I hope you plan to finish early.

Don't make the mistake of assuming one place is not for you (like college) because of what you hear, see, or believe. Set your goals with your life and go through whatever you need to to achieve those goals. If you want to be an officer in the military, go to school, get educated, and do that. If you want to be a welder go to school, do that. If you want to serve as an enlisted member, do that. Do not sacrifice education because of someone else's idea or your own ability to be stubborn. Otherwise you are 31 years old trying to do fucking Trigonometry and Calculus.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
john_havel
Embryo

Post by john_havel »

Thank you for the advice Ranger Cams, i'll be sure to pay more attention to detail and use proper communication when talking to other Rangers. I'm sorry if it was painful to read, I've never put myself out like this before and I wasn't sure on how I should word my introduction so I can see where you are coming from

I understand what your saying Ranger Disinfertention, I've scheduled an appointment with my guidance counselor to talk more about college and get some more information.

Thank you for the warm welcome CharlieRanger1FFV i really appreciate it!

Ranger Jim I also have some of my PT scores, I plan on doing the pull-ups and a 2-3 mile run over the weekend. If there are any categories I missed i would appreciate it if you can let me know so I get them done as soon as possible.
Push-ups: 50
Sit-ups: 85
1 mile run: 6:16
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Good to hear it all around... Don't rely on Ranger Jim to hold your hand. Look at some other posts and around the site. Take a few minutes to read other peoples intros or information around the site. That way you don't have to ask anyone for help. You know what to do :)

Let me know what you find out about college and consider visiting one too. Also, since you sound a bit more like me, don't be afraid to look into the technical side of things. There are so many career paths that require specific skills and not some trumped up bullshit degree...
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
john_havel
Embryo

Post by john_havel »

Thanks for the Response Ranger Disinfertention!

I'll go ahead and check out some other introductions and I'll also update my PT scores as well! For colleges I'm particularly looking to go out of state, The traveling part kind of appeals to me and that plays into as to why I'm interested in joining the military, at first I was exploring different options in the navy. I researched different jobs in the navy and all of them seemed interesting however I always came back to special operations. Something about jobs like that appeal to me. I think it's the type people within the community that interest me. I think Being an 18 year old kid in the regiment and being "raised" by men like that wouldn't be so bad.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

I didn't feel like an adult until I was almost 30. So, raised by men. Not so much. My generation was raised by combat veterans. If you're lucky, you will too. Not trying to sound like a dickhead.

Keep your options open and understand what each represent.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
john_havel
Embryo

Post by john_havel »

Hello Rangers, I'm sorry that I haven't updated this thread in a long time, Junior year was a lot to handle but i've managed to get good scores on my exams. Since I've last posted on this thread I've been leaning towards going to college first then enlisting. However, i'm still on the rocks about it. It's my dream to become a Ranger, I'm sure all of the Rangers on this site have heard that but I want to do it as soon as possible but I also want to go to college as well. That's the mental argument that I'm having with myself at the moment. I would appreciate what other Rangers have to say about this to help me and share some advice so I can pick out which path to follow. But, in the end both lead to me enlisting, its all a matter of how I get there is what i'm struggling with. I'm applying to a couple of colleges but Towson is my number one and i'm looking into majoring in engineering.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

There is nothing wrong with an education as long as you know how you will use it. Even so, sometimes an education gives benefits outside of what you might realize. A 4 year degree gives you doors that do not exist to folks enlisting at 18 years old. Of course, you will be 22-23 when you enlist but you will have something in your pocket already to push on to OCS, Warrant, or depart from the military.

Your choice is not an easy one. But if you can get the education of a 4 year degree without much loss financially or personally, that may be a good decision. If not, remember that a education is a critical part of your life as you enter service and continue it as you start from the sooner rather than the later...

I'd encourage you to draw out a thought bubble or a map of the pros and cons of each decision...

4 year degree - what does it give you
Enlisting now - what does that give you

If you create this, even on your own assumptions, we can give you some guidance on that. This is a personal choice. This is not something simple if you are considering both options. If you need more advice, ask... and don't just accept anything I've said.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

Welcome here.

I enlisted when I was 17 and got out when I was 22. I went to Penn State for four years and almost all of my tuition was covered by my college fund from the Army. I then got an MBA on my own dime while I was working after that.

Education is never a bad thing to have, although I would say it varies by what you are studying. When I was younger, a bachelor's degree in just about anything was good enough to get your foot in the door with most companies- now they are beginning to take a hard look at what prospective employees actually studied.

You mentioned studying engineering. That is what I would consider a "hard" degree versus a "soft" degree- history, political science, sociology, that kind of stuff. Hard degrees- engineering, mathematics, sciences etc. are more employable and at higher starting salaries. I have had this same conversation with my boys in that a trade (HVAC, plumbing, welding, gunsmithing etc.) may be far better than earning a "soft" degree from an expensive school. Think of all the starbucks barristas with history degrees and 100,000 in college debt.

If you are majoring in engineering, you should also seriously consider some of the programs offered by the Air Force and Navy.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
john_havel
Embryo

Post by john_havel »

Thank you for the advice Ranger Disinfertention and Ranger IntelToad. I'll spend more time researching both options and seeing what they both have to offer. I'm still going to end up serving though. I feel like that If I go to college it will give me more time to physically prepare for RASP. However, my main concern though is those four years spent in college. In all honesty it would be a pretty big let down if I make it through RASP and do all that training just to find out that the fight is over and never get that call to put that training to the test.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

That is a personal decision, John. To join out of high school or get an education is up to you. Just know that a 4 year degree, if you join now, is on you.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”