Intro: Luis

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Garrett50
Embryo

Intro: Luis

Post by Garrett50 »

Good Afternoon Rangers/ Everyone,

My name is Luis, 25 years old. Currently working as a security officer at a unemployment office, volunteer for the sheriff department and was driver for lyft. Father of two kids, one whom was just born a couple days ago.

I am currently in the process with a police department reason why I am not enlisting right now but i told myself if that does not work out i will enlist. I have already been talking with a local recruiter to get me where i need to be. Now I am not trying to offend anyone on this forum as being police officer is my plan A and Army plan B. With both these options they need 100% and some. I am trying to get my ducks in line so i come out successful at one thing this year.

I have been doing research and contacted the 75th rangers by email to get more insight of what i am looking into. I have been rucking with 30 lbs hiking for 3 hours just trying to get used to the weight on my back once every other week. Rucking with a retired alice bag a co-worker gave to me when he was in the Army. So far with the research I have done I get really excited about joining the army and trying out for the Rangers. I told my recruiter by October i will be making the decision that will change my life. Now i have done a self PFT as I recently injured my wrist pulled a muscle i believe. My push-ups are my weak side none the less with or without a good wrist so these are my results:

Push-ups- 41
Sit-ups- 63
2 mile run- 15:18
Pull ups- 9

Now that being said i definitely need improving. I need to surpass the minimum of 71 pushups, 78 situps and run faster time on my 2 mile run. I am good for long runs but need improvement for quicker times. I will keep you guys updated as days go by and if any changes. Thank you all.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Intro: Luis

Post by Jim »

Garrett50 wrote:Good Afternoon Rangers/ Everyone,

My name is Luis, 25 years old. Currently working as a security officer at a unemployment office, volunteer for the sheriff department and was driver for lyft. Father of two kids, one whom was just born a couple days ago.

I am currently in the process with a police department reason why I am not enlisting right now but i told myself if that does not work out i will enlist. I have already been talking with a local recruiter to get me where i need to be. Now I am not trying to offend anyone on this forum as being police officer is my plan A and Army plan B. With both these options they need 100% and some. I am trying to get my ducks in line so i come out successful at one thing this year.

I have been doing research and contacted the 75th rangers by email to get more insight of what i am looking into. I have been rucking with 30 lbs hiking for 3 hours just trying to get used to the weight on my back once every other week. Rucking with a retired alice bag a co-worker gave to me when he was in the Army. So far with the research I have done I get really excited about joining the army and trying out for the Rangers. I told my recruiter by October i will be making the decision that will change my life. Now i have done a self PFT as I recently injured my wrist pulled a muscle i believe. My push-ups are my weak side none the less with or without a good wrist so these are my results:

Push-ups- 41
Sit-ups- 63
2 mile run- 15:18
Pull ups- 9

Now that being said i definitely need improving. I need to surpass the minimum of 71 pushups, 78 situps and run faster time on my 2 mile run. I am good for long runs but need improvement for quicker times. I will keep you guys updated as days go by and if any changes. Thank you all.
Welcome Luis. If you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We at armyranger.com take a great deal of pride in the young men who pass through here on their life journey. Please tell us more about yourself. Why do you want to be a Ranger? You have established a PT baseline to build on. Most of the questions you might have can be addressed by using the search feature, located on the top right of this page. Please read the FAQs, as well as select stickies and threads. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Garrett50
Embryo

Post by Garrett50 »

As far as about me, I am the first generation of my family here in the states. My father strongly supports my decision about joining the military and more so about being a part of a Ranger battalion. My own family (soon to be wife, two kids) supports my decision as well which is very helpful because that leaves less worry in the back of my head. I am an individual who enjoys a good challenge and will give 110% and some. I work on cars as my hobby and volunteer my time to help out in the community as I enjoy being there for those who need us.

While volunteering in the LE field, team work is essential to get the job done effectively. Researching about the Rangers and touching the surface about the Ranger history is what I am currently getting drawn in to. Team work is obviously there but more so the Ranger core values when I read them out loud they couldn't be more true. Just reading the core values gets me excited about this career field. By reading the core values of a Ranger I want to live my life by these values and be surrounded by people who also appreciate these values.

While talking with my recruiter my direction is going 11b with a option 40 contract. Though right now he states there's a high chance option 40 will not be available I beg to differ upon reading information on this website and emailing with the 75th rangers. But I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

As of right now my wrist is still injured so my strengthen workouts are limited however, this leaves me more opportunity to improve on my run times. Enduring long runs is not a problem as I always push and keep my mental thought to finish no matter what. Time is what will be my obstacle and push ups. I have a 90 day work out plan I got from the military website to prep for potential ranger candidates to succeed in rasp.

Also I did not mention it on my first post but thank you for your service for those who served our country and those currently serving.
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Luis.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Garrett50
Embryo

Post by Garrett50 »

Thanks for the Welcome Ranger Jim and Ranger CharlieRanger1FFV
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Welcome. Good intro. Good thought process. I think if you keep that attitude and work hard you'll be a success in whatever field you choose.

Your family should he proud of you.

Work hard. Set goals and reach them one at a time.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Garrett50
Embryo

Post by Garrett50 »

Thank you Ranger Cams. Always good to hear I am going in the right direction especially from a former Ranger.

I did a 6 mile ruck this weekend with 40lbs rucksack. TOUGH the beaming heat and steep hills did not help one bit, I made it through within 1hr and 48 minutes then spent another hour enjoying the view. Still need some improving probably use the 40lbs for another couple hikes and see if I improve.

Any tips on how to ruck quicker? I know if i run i will blow out my knees and more. I use the zig zag method when going up a hill and going down at a bit slower pace.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Garrett50 wrote:I did a 6 mile ruck this weekend with 40lbs rucksack. TOUGH the beaming heat and steep hills did not help one bit, I made it through within 1hr and 48 minutes then spent another hour enjoying the view. Still need some improving probably use the 40lbs for another couple hikes and see if I improve.

Any tips on how to ruck quicker? I know if i run i will blow out my knees and more. I use the zig zag method when going up a hill and going down at a bit slower pace.
Please limit your ruck to no more than 35 pounds. That is the Ranger School standard. Never, never quit.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Garrett50
Embryo

Post by Garrett50 »

Copy Ranger Jim.
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

Welcome to the site. There is a lot of good information on here in reference to PT improvements. Read and head. Memorize the Ranger Creed and start living buy it. Give everything you've got, every time you give and never, ever quit! RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
Garrett50
Embryo

Post by Garrett50 »

Will do and thank you Ranger, Rangerjd.

Yesterday I met up with my recruiter and he wants me to take the picat exam instead of the asvab due to my busy schedule right now. Not to familiar with the picat but he said it was the same and possibly easier. I can still obtain a contract if all goes well but he keeps on stating its best to get an option 40 once I am in which makes no sense. Spoke to a friend who is a recruiter and he said right now is the best time to get an option 40 contract since its towards the end of the fiscal year. I'll keep you guys updated and I will be sticking to my guns and will not settle for less.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Garrett50 wrote: Yesterday I met up with my recruiter and he wants me to take the picat exam instead of the asvab due to my busy schedule right now. Not to familiar with the picat but he said it was the same and possibly easier. I can still obtain a contract if all goes well but he keeps on stating its best to get an option 40 once I am in which makes no sense. Spoke to a friend who is a recruiter and he said right now is the best time to get an option 40 contract since its towards the end of the fiscal year. I'll keep you guys updated and I will be sticking to my guns and will not settle for less.
You will find this link helpful in your quest to earn an Option 40:

http://www.benning.army.mil/tenant/75th ... iting.html
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Garrett50
Embryo

Post by Garrett50 »

Thank you Ranger Jim.

I will be posting my fitness level at the end of this week. Last week got real occupied with the family and work.
Garrett50
Embryo

Post by Garrett50 »

Self PFT:

Push-ups- 66
Sit-ups- 78
2 mile run- 13:01
Pull ups- 18

Still need some improving but at least i am seeing results. Thank you Rangers for all the information given. I have the creed in my pocket everyday reading the creed to keep me moving forward and motivated.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Garrett50 wrote:Self PFT:
I have the creed in my pocket everyday reading the creed to keep me moving forward and motivated.
Don't just carry it in your pocket; you need to memorize it and start living your life by the creed. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”