Introduction-Will1701

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Will1701
Embryo

Introduction-Will1701

Post by Will1701 »

Hello Rangers,

I am currently a junior in high school and I have joined ArmyRanger.com for a couple of reasons. First being that I am interested in becoming a Ranger after college, but will leave college to join if we launch ground operations against ISIS. I have a massive amount of respect for Rangers and am very grateful for the wealth of information posted on this website to help those such as myself that are interested in becoming a Ranger.
Second and more of an immediate reason, I am working on a research project for a Contemporary Issues class I am taking. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about whether allowing women into all combat arms roles and special operations units is a smart decision. Then, based on the information that I have gathered from veterans, congressmen, and others, I will present to my class on the topic of gender equality in combat roles. If someone could point me to the correct forum to get such input from former Rangers or other soldiers that were in combat arms roles that would be much appreciated.

Thank you Rangers.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction-Will1701

Post by Jim »

Welcome Will, If you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you're at the right site. We at ArmyRanger.com take a great deal of pride in the young men who pass through here on their life journey. Please tell us more about yourself and your project. Most of the questions you might have can be addressed by using the search feature, located on the top right of this page. Please read the FAQs, as well as select stickies and threads. Please tell us how old you are. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Will1701
Embryo

Post by Will1701 »

Thank you for your response Ranger Jim.

About me:
I am 18 years old and a very active person. I love to do a variety of things. Mainly, I see my self as an action sports athlete because I downhill freeride mountain bike, but I also run track at my school. I also love backpacking and mountaineering and over the past couple of summers I have gone on expeditions where there was some technical high altitude climbing and backpacking normal trails. I also love hunting and shooting both on the range and on sporting clays courses. I am also starting to get into weightlifting more often now and am really liking it. I am also very involved in politics and the Model Congress club at my school and I actually passed a bill in a recent conference that would encourage the hiring of combat veterans. I have wanted to be a Ranger since I was approximately 12 years old, so long now that I don't even remember where I first heard about the 75th Ranger Regiment. As I have gotten older and over the past couple of years I have put countless hours of research into the unit and from what I've learned it seems like it could be a good place for me when I decide to join and if I were to make it through RASP. I am also interested in airborne infantry such as the 82nd or the 173rd, but I really admire the fast paced lifestyle, intense and thorough training, and smaller unit brotherhood of the Rangers that I've heard about. Like I said in my previous post, I am planning on going to college first because that's what my parents want; however, if we start ground operations against ISIS I will leave college to join or join out of high school.

About the project:
The project is my end of the year presentation/research project for the Contemporary Issues class that I am taking as a junior and I am supposed to talk about gender equality in combat arms roles and present a variety of opinions from a variety of sources. I have searched through the forum a bit in search of information on the topic; however, my teacher would prefer for me to start a thread in which Rangers or other combat arms veterans could respond with their opinion; that way I could create a poll to see what percent are for or against integrating women into those positions as well as note their input.
Will1701
Embryo

Post by Will1701 »

Ranger corporateCoffee,
Over spring break I visited schools in Colorado: Colorado College, University of Denver, and University of Colorado at Boulder. I liked University of Denver the best because of its medium size, nice campus/facilities, and they have a good combination of excellent academics and an amazing outdoors club. Colorado College definitely did not seem like the place for me. It was very small and they seemed to be extremely liberal. In further research, after I visited, I actually found out that they are one of the top ten colleges to violate freedom of speech. The last college I visited was University of Colorado at Boulder. I was expecting it to not feel right because it is a massive school, but on the tour it was actually really nice. The facilities and campus were really amazing and the proximity to the mountains is cool too.
A big plus for going to school in Colorado is that the flights are inexpensive out of Denver International.

I'm also interested in Wake Forest, University of Vermont, University of Maine, Elon, University of British Columbia, and potentially some others.

As of now I am interested in pursuing a major in business and a minor in political science. I feel that this would be versatile when it comes time to get a job and I am really interested and involved in politics and curious about business.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Will, how is your project progressing?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Will1701
Embryo

Post by Will1701 »

Jim wrote:Will, how is your project progressing?
Ranger Jim,

I have gotten some excellent feedback. I really appreciate the length of responses Ranger fatboy has posted in the thread I created. Hopefully others will share their opinions. I plan on spending this week organizing/gathering notes from feedback and research.
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Will1701.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Will1701
Embryo

Post by Will1701 »

Thank you Ranger CharlieRanger1FFV.

Rangers, just out of curiosity, have any of you known any Rangers who have been involved in action sports such as motocross, mountain biking, rock climbing, whitewater kayaking, skydiving, etc.? As you know from my second post I love action sports and I'm curious as to if there are others with that kind of personality in the 75th. I figure there must be some guys who are into those types of sports in the Regiment considering they're part of a unit that does a lot of jumping out of planes.

Thank you.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Will1701 wrote:Thank you Ranger CharlieRanger1FFV.

Rangers, just out of curiosity, have any of you known any Rangers who have been involved in action sports such as motocross, mountain biking, rock climbing, whitewater kayaking, skydiving, etc.? As you know from my second post I love action sports and I'm curious as to if there are others with that kind of personality in the 75th. I figure there must be some guys who are into those types of sports in the Regiment considering they're part of a unit that does a lot of jumping out of planes.

Thank you.
That's a general-type question. A general answer is, yes these action sports are common among our members.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Will1701
Embryo

Post by Will1701 »

Thank you for the response Ranger Jim.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Any new developments, Will?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Will1701
Embryo

Post by Will1701 »

Jim wrote:Any new developments, Will?
I'm presenting my research to the class tomorrow. I definitely learned a lot and am excited to share my findings.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Will1701 wrote:
Jim wrote:Any new developments, Will?
I'm presenting my research to the class tomorrow. I definitely learned a lot and am excited to share my findings.
Don't forget to share your findings with us.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Will1701
Embryo

Post by Will1701 »

Hello Rangers,

I've decided to post an update. As of now, I am applying as an Early Decision Applicant to the University of Denver. I decided to apply there ED because the school is right near some excellent mountains where I can continue to pursue the sports and activities I love while also getting an excellent education. Thus, if I get in, I will be attending the University for at least a year. I will take the first year I am there (or elsewhere if I do not get into DU, I will post an update if I get into the school) to consider my future and decide whether to continue with college or to sign an Option 40. I will continue to work towards improving my physical fitness and mental toughness so that I will be ready for this decision if that is the path I decide to take. I am looking forward to joining club XC and club track while also lifting on my own and doing other activities such as mountaineering and mountain biking. Thank you all for making this website a vast source of information for those interested in the Ranger Regiment. I am excited about what the future holds.

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”