Introduction - Tyler

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

brow1089
Future Soldier

Re: Introduction - Tyler

Post by brow1089 »

Ranger Jim,

Just ran a 5 mile timed run with a time of 36:55. I'm taking a recovery day tomorrow to study for a few final exams, then I'll be completing an APFT Saturday morning, so I'll post the scores after. I'll actually be studying "Sustainable Energy Technologies" in Italy, Germany, and Ireland for right around a month starting this next Monday, so I'll be out of touch until the beginning of June. My recruiter said we could get things going in June though, so once I get back I should be able to really start making progress towards joining and getting a contract! Also, I still have the Ranger Creed as my wallpaper and I recite it in my head periodically. Trying to hammer it in my skull.
11X Infantry Recruit
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

brow1089 wrote: Just ran a 5 mile timed run with a time of 36:55. I'm taking a recovery day tomorrow to study for a few final exams, then I'll be completing an APFT Saturday morning, so I'll post the scores after. I'll actually be studying "Sustainable Energy Technologies" in Italy, Germany, and Ireland for right around a month starting this next Monday, so I'll be out of touch until the beginning of June. My recruiter said we could get things going in June though, so once I get back I should be able to really start making progress towards joining and getting a contract! Also, I still have the Ranger Creed as my wallpaper and I recite it in my head periodically. Trying to hammer it in my skull.
Excellent SITREP. Look forward to your return from Europe in June. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
brow1089
Future Soldier

Post by brow1089 »

Rangers,

As promised, here are the results of yesterday's APFT. The push-ups and pull ups felt weak, but my run is getting back down close to 13 minutes, so I'm happy with the progress. Always lots of room to improve.

Push ups: 91
Sit ups: 96
Pull ups: 17
2 mile run: 13:23
Score: 294/300
11X Infantry Recruit
brow1089
Future Soldier

Post by brow1089 »

Rangers,

It's been a while since I've posted here, but there has been some progress in my process to enlist. After some waiting, all of my medical paperwork has been sent in and approved, and I have an appointment to go to MEPS this Wednesday. I'm going hoping to acquire an 11X Opt 40, but I'll also be open to 68W, 35F and 12B. If there are any 18X contracts open I'll have to think hard about it, because it's always been in the back of my head, but Rangers have always been what jumps out to me that I really want to go for, so I'm just not sure. I've already told my recruiter I won't settle for anything less, so we are on the same page that I will walk out without signing if they don't have any of the contracts I listed.

I also ran into a good opportunity here at Purdue for training. I met a guy who does research here and also works for a professional training company who is working to put together a program to prepare BUD/S candidates to be physically ready with a focus on injury prevention. I'm joining his program next week to try it out. Even though it is for SEAL candidates, it focuses on things any SOF candidate needs to know. Plus it's free for me because we are basically going to be their test subjects to see if they can train guys to make it through selection, therefore giving their program credibility. It'll also give me the opportunity to train with similar-minded guys, which always helps with training intensity. I've met one guy in the program, and he says he's made huge improvements in all areas, so we will see. The swimming coach is a former Purdue swimming captain, and the running/strength coach is a former Marine.

I'm reciting the Ranger Creed every morning when I get up (I have it written on a white board on my bedroom wall). I'll update after MEPS with developments. Thank you all for doing everything you do and providing this website for us prospective Rangers.

Tyler
11X Infantry Recruit
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Tyler, how did your visit to MEPS go? Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
brow1089
Future Soldier

Post by brow1089 »

Ranger Jim,

It's been a while, and I haven't updated my situation like I said I would, so I apologize. I am officially a DEP with an 11X contract. During my first visit to MEPS my recruiter was able to reserve me an Opt 40, but I was disqualified for my prior shoulder surgery, so I had to send up a waiver. A few weeks later, my waiver was approved so I had all 1's, and we were pretty sure I'd be denied the airborne physical with the medical waiver but I decided to try anyways. On my second visit to MEPS the doctor absolutely refused to give me the airborne physical and stamp as expected, therefore disqualifying me from Opt 40 and 18X. That day I refused to sign a contract and walked out of MEPS (they weren't too happy about that). So, after some thinking, I decided to go back and sign a 3 year 11X contract with hopes of getting it picked up in OSUT, and if not then, apply once I'm in a unit. With my degree I considered going to OCS, but I have a feeling that if I settle and don't do everything in my power to become a Ranger I'd always regret it. Ranger is what I want. As for now, I'm just focusing on my fitness so I'll crush my APFTs in OSUT.
11X Infantry Recruit
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Tyler, Please begin reading as many Letters from school, to prepare you for OSUT.

Also, when you are reading letters from school, you will see the format other future soldiers use on their signature (bottom of the page).

Finally, what is your report date?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
brow1089
Future Soldier

Post by brow1089 »

Roger, Ranger Jim. I've begun reading the posts and will continue to do so. I need to be fully prepared for OSUT both mentally and physically so I'll have my best shot at an Airborne and/or RASP slot in OSUT, and that's what I'm focusing on 100%. I know nothing is guaranteed without an Option 40 contract, but after some thinking I decided I am going to do everything in my power to get a shot at Ranger, even if it's the long/hard route. Never quit.

I report to MEPS on 20170523. I'll be graduating from Purdue on the 13th, so I leave soon after. My contract is also for 3 years and 16 weeks. It might be worth noting that I scored well on the ASVAB, so I'm good on that front. Following are my scores:

AFQT: 95
GT: 128
GM: 145
EL: 142
CL: 136
MM: 146
SC: 142
CO: 144
FA: 144
OF: 143
ST: 139
11X Infantry Recruit
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Tyler, one of the things you may have noticed is the number of future soldiers who earn a BAC and RASP slots while in OSUT. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”