rip date

Eight weeks of smoke, training & evaluation.
bmkcam
Embryo

rip date

Post by bmkcam »

my fiance is about to begin airborne, and i was just wondering if rip starts exactly after airborne because his drill sargeants told him that he had a four week layover but this website says that it starts right after. and if it does start after, can he request a later date? also, a former ranger told us that when you are a ranger, you onle get deployed for a month because they always cycle rangers out. is this true? is there any batallion that gets cycled out more then others? how often can he expect to be gone?
Deadmeat

Post by Deadmeat »

Just to let you know my contract has no date for Rip. After Airborne it just says.... First duty station: Ranger Training. So may be 2 days or 2 weeks who knows. I'm sure it varys by class. I hear sometimes you get to basic and sit around for 2 weeks at reception sometimes your only there a day or 2. Most likely the same deal.
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Bmkcam:

An airborne class graduates every week of the year, except during Christmas. RIP, on the other hand begins every 3 to 4 weeks. So, I'm sure you can do the math here and figure it out as to why he would have to be on layover for a to be determined, unknown time period. As far as his activities during that time, he can look forward to doing lots of PT, and also, doing whatever details they have that need to be done. NO - he should not, under any circumstances request a later start date. If he does, then he's going to be out of shape or not in the right mindset to continue his training. That, to me, would be a bad decision.

As far as how much you can expect to see him, try about 8-10 months out of the year. The average year will be balanced between training locally, deploying to different training locations across the country and also, deployed for combat operations. But, he will get 30 days of paid vacation a year, which is more than any other starting job he could get.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and address your concerns head on. You didn't ask for this kind of advice and you may not need it. Take it for what it's worth, but it's based on the experience of having been there and done that, so you are getting this from someone who has been a Ranger and has an appreciation for what it requires, both from him and from you, for him to be a Ranger.

I've seen women get inside the heads of Rangers and they've left the Rangers for thier woman - and regretted it for the rest of their lives. This did not happen to me, though, but the reason for it is that some women cannot put themselves second to the military, or Rangers specifically, and have to be first. This is selfish, while serving as a Ranger is something that is temporary. Being a Ranger, however, is a mindset and something that sticks with a person, as far as the values acquired during that time period.

If you didn't recall - our country is at war. The men who sign up to be, and drive on through the process to become Army Rangers are pretty special young men. This, the time they get to be Rangers, is a magical time in their lives, and they will always remember it with a fondness that any other experience in their lives will never compare with.

If your fiance is doing his best to be a Ranger, you need to just let him. If need be, you may need to step out of the way to let this happen. On the other hand, if you truly love him and want him to be the best he can, then you'll support him as much as possible. He's not undergoing something that is EASY by any stretch of the imagination.

If you get in the way of his success for selfish reasons, then he will always resent you for it. If you support his efforts and can tolerate being second for a time, he will always appreciate it. Which road you take is something that you need to decide for yourself.

As far as rejecting his Ranger assignment to go somewhere else, he would be making himself available for 'worldwide assignment' that would be decided by the Army - wherever they need people, they'll send him. This could mean Germany for a couple years - which you would not get to go to as a fiance, but only as a spouse, or Korea for a year, which you would not be able to go at all. Or, it could mean going to the 10th Mountain Division, 82nd or the 101st. These units have seen rotations to Afghan and Kosovo that have lasted 6 months at a time. Any Ranger rotations overseas have been about 3-4 months maximum duration.

Good luck.
bmkcam
Embryo

Post by bmkcam »

thanks for your reply.
I understand what you're trying to say about the whole ranger thing. When he first decided to join it was difficult for us to decide whether he should go ranger or to just go regular army. For the longest times, we were looking at the pro's and con's of each. we settled on the ranger program, but there's a lot about it that we don't know. Though I do not expect the rangers to before me, I do understand that it will take up a substancial amount of his time. Because I love him, I would support him in anything he wanted to do and would not ever force him or even ask him to stop something that he truly wants. We are getting married in May, and when he gets assigned a batallion (which will likely be Mayish), I will move up to where he is. I am just asking questions to know what we are getting into, so that I can be prepared. How likely is it that he will get his station of choice? We are hoping for Hunter Army Airfield.
Spartan

Station of Choice

Post by Spartan »

Well, my answer was a bit harsh I realize. I am glad that you are learning what to expect. He still has a long way to go before he actually makes it through RIP and there is a fairly high washout rate. I would have no idea as to the likelyhood of station of choice. If either of you had family ties, that may play into the decision, but I don't know. Say, worst case scenario, you've got a 33% chance of making it to Savannah.

Return to “About RASP”