New Hampshire & Vermont

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

IntelToad
Ranger

New Hampshire & Vermont

Post by IntelToad »

Anyone have any suggestions on things to do or places to see ?

I've driven through both states many times going back and forth to Maine, but never stopped to do anything.

Trying to rough out a vacation schedule for next month so any help would be appreciated. We are mainly interested in outdoor (hiking, camping etc.) and kid friendly stuff.

Thanks.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Re: New Hampshire & Vermont

Post by cams »

Fucking phone. Third time I've tried posting this.

http://www.kancamagushighway.com/

Beautiful family friendly place for hiking, camping, picnics, viewing scenery etc.

Lincoln NH is a nice little village in the White Mountains filled with shops and restaurants to keep kids and 6 happy. And they have an awesome kid friendly Zip Lining Park right there that also includes a fun ride in a 6 wheeled Austrian Military vehicle from the 70's I'd guess. It's a blast and they make this truck work. Straight up, straight down, sideways you name it, fun ride to get to the first Line. Pretty cool time walking wire bridges from treetop to treetop at 150' above the ground, then jumping off a platform and zipping down thru a valley 200 feet off the ground and doing 60mph. Not sure how old the kids are but there is an age/weight limit for the bigger zip lines. I think it's a minimum of 70lbs. I know last time I was there though there was a young boy having a hoot of a time and he was only about 8 or 10 yrs old. Just check parameters first if it interests you at all.

Small "young kids" park at the front with cable/hook wire bridges, confidence obstacles and much smaller zip lines for very young kids. Little pricey but it's fun. Check Groupon also, they have Zip Lining coupons a lot of times for 50% off.

Highway runs right thru Lincoln to North Conway, NH, beautiful drive. Hiking trails, camps etc.

Just a reminder about the black bears, especially with kids and food near, the bears are everywhere. Heads up on that. There's also been several mountain lion sightings recently in the area, prolly coming down from Canada looking for food or driven south by construction.

http://www.newhampshire.com/article/999 ... pshire0310

Rogers Rangers Bridge - lot of Ranger history and fighting in these rivers and mountains.

Description: This rivers' junction two miles north was the rendezvous for Rogers Rangers after their destruction of St. Francis, Quebec, on October 4, 1759. Pursuing Indians and starvation had plagued their retreat and more tragedy awaited here. The expected rescue party bringing food had come and gone. Many Rangers perished and early settlers found their bones along these intervales.

Nice area to hike alongside the river, swim, picnic whatever. Again just watch for bears.

http://www.polarcaves.com/

Also a fun family day if you've never been. From hot sun down into the caves the temp drops sometimes to freezing even in the summer. Very kid/family friendly.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

Great stuff, thanks Cams !
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

No sweat brother. Lot of fun things to do in NH.

I don't know anything about Vermont though. Too many hippies for me to want to visit.

If you're coming thru NH you can always stop to see a car race at New Hampshire Motor Speedway. Races going on just about every weekend, drag races, nascar races etc., and it's right down the street from the Sig Academy Pro Shop as well. Lots of goodies in their store.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

They probably shut them all down due to safety issues, but once upon a time some of the ski resorts in NH & VT had those alpine slides. Basically you are going down a shallow concrete channel in a minimal plastic sled at speeds humans weren't meant to reach.

So in other words a lot of fun.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space

Return to “The Mosh Pit”