California Court Says Viewing Phone While Driving OK

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

California Court Says Viewing Phone While Driving OK

Post by Steadfast »

'Map app' defense accepted by appeals court.

A California appeals court decided Thursday some cellphone use while driving is legal.

Steven Spriggs of Fresno, Calif., successfully argued he didn't deserve a $165 fine for violating a state law against using cellphones while driving because he was not using his phone for communication, but instead using a map application to find a new route.

“Spriggs contends he did not violate the statute because he was not talking on the telephone. We agree,” a three-judge panel ruled. “Based on the statute’s language, its legislative history and subsequent legislative enactments, we conclude that the statute means what it says – it prohibits a driver only from holding a wireless telephone while conversing on it.”

Story
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: California Court Says Viewing Phone While Driving OK

Post by Steadfast »

When traveling I would have my trusty map atlas handy - folded to the part I needed but if I needed to open it up (while driving) I found myself swerving if not focusing on my driving. - reminding myself that doing this shit is very dangerous.
Now-a-days I use both. My personal favorite is verizon map app - I used it on my crackberry now my Iphone. I've gone on many long journeys and find that only inputing small (leg) journeys is better than putting in the entire journey.
Bottom line one must always pay attention to road & other drivers with only a glance at aides (phone, map) to arrive safely at destination. One fuck up and you are not reanimated as if you were in a game.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4

Return to “The News Dump”