Pectus Excavatum

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Coyote_Tan
Embryo

Pectus Excavatum

Post by Coyote_Tan »

Hello all,

I am considering pursuing service as a Ranger and have two questions. I have a mild case of pectus excavatum, a condition where my sternum is sunken compared to where it should be. I have looked up the regulations for those joining with it and they state:

"...pectus excavatum (754.81), or pectus carinatum (754.82), if these conditions interfere with vigorous physical exertion, does not meet the standard."

My case has not interfered with vigorous physical exertion.

As I searched the boards, I have only found one post relating to a member with a sunken chest. He was temporarily DQ'd he never followed up on the issue.

Below are my two questions:
1. Does anyone know if the condition will effect the rating of the P section in the required 111221 PULHES?
2. Does anyone know of either any Rangers who have the condition, or of any soldiers who have the condition and were able to be admitted to RASP?

Thank you all for your time.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Pectus Excavatum

Post by Jim »

This is exactly why I suggest you start working with a recruiter. Each medical condition is unique. If you need a waiver, your recruiter is going to have to help you, anyhow. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “Recruitment Process”