SITREP - Michael

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
MichaelS
Ranger

SITREP - Michael

Post by MichaelS »

Good evening, Rangers.

It has been a while since I've been active on this forum. As of right now, I am on Week 2 of AIT here at Fort Sill.
Basic Training was a breeze. The biggest issue, as its been stated numerous times here, is dealing with the scum bags and people who don't really care. The PT was amusingly weak, most smoke sessions never surpassed 30 minutes, and most exercises contained only 5 reps. The PT felt more like yoga than actual PT. It is very, very important to make sure you do your own PT on your personal time. You won't be able to run a lot either. We did only 3 AGRs the entire cycle! DEPs, make sure you use the stairs to your advantage and get some cardio in! I have definitely gotten weaker muscle wise but the Army prefers well-rounded lean athletes than body-builders with no cardio. As for my achievements, I managed to shoot expert with my rifle, had the highest PT score in my platoon, and I was even placed on Flag Detail.
As for AIT, we just started Week 2. Week 1 dealed with communications and learning all about the SINCGARS. We wrapped that up today and we begin our Land Navigation courses tomorrow. So far AIT has been an interesting experience. The PT is way harder than BCT but nothing you can't handle. I've been doing PT twice a day here, making sure I run 5 miles a day minimum. Having access to a full track and pull-up bars here is helping out a lot. The cadre here are huge on sending people to RASP and Airborne, as long as you get a 270 on your PT test. We should get briefed by the Ranger Recruiter and a FO from the 75th Ranger Regiment by Week 4. As of right now, there's been a lot of rumors concerning hold-over lengths and what not. I've learned not to listen to anything I hear from other trainee's, since most tends to be complete BS.
I've managed to find other Option 40s in Reception and I've been with them ever since, it's great to see others who are just as motivated for RASP as I am.
My latest PT test:
PU: 75
SU: 88
2MR: 12:54
Pull-ups: 13
Score: 316

Driving forward, Rangers.
-MichaelS
A Co, 3/75.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: SITREP - Michael

Post by Jim »

Excellent SITREP! PM inbound. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
jth456

Post by jth456 »

MichaelS wrote: As of right now, there's been a lot of rumors concerning hold-over lengths and what not. I've learned not to listen to anything I hear from other trainee's, since most tends to be complete BS.
Depending on when the next RASP class classes up, you could be in pre-RASP anywhere from as little as three days, to five weeks. Goodluck man.
MichaelS
Ranger

Post by MichaelS »

jth456 wrote:
MichaelS wrote: As of right now, there's been a lot of rumors concerning hold-over lengths and what not. I've learned not to listen to anything I hear from other trainee's, since most tends to be complete BS.
Depending on when the next RASP class classes up, you could be in pre-RASP anywhere from as little as three days, to five weeks. Goodluck man.

Ranger jth456,

I've been told that due to the government shutdown, Jump School and RASP has ceased all activity, so there's a possibility of me being a holdover for 1-2 months or more. I'm not sure of the credibility of those statements but I'm still hoping for the best.
A Co, 3/75.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

I've been told that due to the government shutdown, Jump School and RASP has ceased all activity, so there's a possibility of me being a holdover for 1-2 months or more. I'm not sure of the credibility of those statements but I'm still hoping for the best.
That happened to me, I signed into OCS in July 1970 (yeah, I know it was a lifetime ago) and we did not start our OCS class until September 1970. I was concerned because I would not be eligible for a Regular Army commission unless I was commissioned before my 28th birthday. I made it. The TRADOC world is frustrating, sometimes. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Great Sitrep.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Good to hear from you Michael, great sit-rep. Keep driving on - forget the rumor mill - don't believe everything you hear. Be patient & keep doing your Pt & stay sharp, stay sensible, stay out of trouble of any kind.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Steadfast wrote:Good to hear from you Michael, great sit-rep. Keep driving on - forget the rumor mill - don't believe everything you hear. Be patient & keep doing your Pt & stay sharp, stay sensible, stay out of trouble of any kind.
X2!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
MichaelS
Ranger

Post by MichaelS »

Rangers,

I have successfully completed AIT and I am currently in hold-over status awaiting my spot for Jump School.
AIT was a very interesting experience, despite the newly discovered privileges we were given, there came a much more disciplined environment and more was expected from us here then at any point in BCT. The cadre at 13F AIT can be relaxed if your platoon is squared away and does what their supposed to. If not, then you can expect serious limitations on your privileges and smoke sessions that make Basic seem like a walk through the park.
Here's a quick recap on my AIT experience.
Fort Sill only has two different temperatures during the year; scorching hot or freezing cold. The wind chill here brings the temperature down at least 10 degrees during the Fall months, so needless to say we froze our dicks off. Luckily, your body will adjust to this quickly.
Week 2 of AIT dealed with a more advanced class on land navigation. Here you will learn how to utilize mils instead of degrees and other various advanced map-marking skills.
Week 3 & 4 you start Guard Fist. This is when you learn how to do actual call for fire, learn your Six Elements and 15 Subs. We were taught three methods of call for fire (shift from a KP, polar, and grid) but we focused only on two (grid/polar.) After the first couple days you will begin using the electronic simulator to call in rounds on targets.
Week 5 you spend two more days in the classroom and then go out into the field and call in actual live rounds. Hearing the whiz of your round being fired over your head will probably be the best part. Just remember everything you did during Guard Fist and you will be fine.
Week 6 is TCE (Teamwork Capstone Exercise) which is essentially an FTX. You go out into the field and learn how to use some more advanced equipment. They may also bring out a Bradley and give you a few classes on those.
I've been brief but a lot of this you will have to complete it yourself to find out.
In AIT there is plenty of time to get in some good PT on your own, we have a wonderful track, field, and pull up bars so make sure you get some work outs in.
As of right now I've been placed in HQ, waiting on my chance to attend Jump School. The cadre are telling me theres a good possibility I will spend block leave here and hopefully ship out sometime in January. I am trying to be optimistic and looking at this as a break from training and an opportunity to improve my physical capabilities. RASP is right around the corner and after a year of preparation I won't let anything bring down my motivation.
Speaking of which, you can expect a good handful of other Opt. 40s to be in your platoon. We have about 7. Some will be shitbags who never deserved the contract, others will have motivation levels that match yours. Just be wise about who you surround yourself with here, the shitbaggery to squared away ratio from BCT is about the same.
That's all I got for now, Rangers. I will report back when I receive my Airborne orders.

Pushing forward,
-MichaelS
A Co, 3/75.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Excellent sitrep Soldier.

Despite all the rumors & possibilities of leave (whatever) ignore them all none matter until you are going on to your next assignment & when you arrive. Dates come & go - just focus on your present 25m target. Drive on & never, ever quit.
We are all proud of you MichaelS.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Michael, You have come a long way in a short time. In a couple months your goal will be achieved. I have great faith in you. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
MichaelS
Ranger

Post by MichaelS »

Rangers,

I apologize for the delay as I haven't accessed a computer since AIT.
About a week after my last post I was informed I'd be shipping out to Jump School. I left Fort Sill the 22nd of November and arrived at Fort Benning on the 23rd.
There is not much to say about Jump School that hasn't been said here. I found it a bit dull and repetitive until Jump Week. Jump Week was both the best and longest week. On Monday and Tuesday we sat over in the harness shed for about 10 hours waiting for the weather to clear up so we could complete a jump with the T10. It never did. However, on Monday my chalk boarded the C-130 and took off into the air. The first pass was made and the first 20 jumpers from my chalk leaped out of the aircraft. When we returned for the next pass, we were given the command to stand up. Right as the Jumpmaster told us to hook up, our other Jumpmaster told us to sit down, the doors closed, and he informed us we weren't jumping that day due to a storm. Disappointing! On Wednesday, we finally managed to get our first 3 jumps in. The best feeling in the world is looking out the plane right before you jump and knowing what's about to happen.
We had graduation yesterday, followed by a short briefing from the Ranger liaison. As of right now, I am staying in the Airborne holdover barracks until Tuesday. On Tuesday we will process into Pre-RASP, spend the rest of the week there and we will be given HBL starting Saturday. Rangers, RASP is right around the corner and I'm more motivated than ever before. For now, I will be focusing on my PT, studying Ranger history, and staying out of trouble (which is pretty easy for me). I've told other RASP candidates about the abundance of information this forum has provided for me. I am hoping they will utilize it as best as possible.

Thanks,
MichaelS.
A Co, 3/75.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Excellent sitrep MichaelS!

Congratulations to you Paratrooper. I would have like to see the expression on your face during your first jump so I will take your word on what you experienced.

excerpt of MichaelS:
I've told other RASP candidates about the abundance of information this forum has provided for me. I am hoping they will utilize it as best as possible.
This is how Rangers help their brothers.

Keep driving on MichaelS, we are proud of you & what you have so far accomplished. Never quit.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Steadfast wrote:Excellent sitrep MichaelS!

Congratulations to you Paratrooper. I would have like to see the expression on your face during your first jump so I will take your word on what you experienced.

excerpt of MichaelS:
I've told other RASP candidates about the abundance of information this forum has provided for me. I am hoping they will utilize it as best as possible.
This is how Rangers help their brothers.

Keep driving on MichaelS, we are proud of you & what you have so far accomplished. Never quit.
As usual, Ranger Steadfast said everything I would have said. Michael, we are proud of you. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

I can't comment on the other Brotherhood, but congratulations to you for earning your wings. Feet and knees together Airborne!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.

Return to “Letters from School”