Concerns over Chinese acquisition of Smithfield Farms

Discussions on the American political landscape and its participants, world events and defense policy.

Moderator: Site Admin

Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Concerns over Chinese acquisition of Smithfield Farms

Post by Flesh Thorn »

The chairwoman of the Senate Agriculture Committee has joined in the concerns on Capitol Hill about the proposed sale of Smithfield Farms to a Chinese company resulting in potential food-safety and national-security issues.
The proposed sale of Smithfield, the country’s largest pork producer and processor, to Shuanghui International is valued at $7.1 billion and if completed would be among the largest Chinese acquisitions of a U.S. company.
“The agencies responsible for approving this possible merger must take into account China and Shuanghui’s troubling track record on food safety and do everything in their power to ensure our national security and the health of our families is not jeopardized,” Sen. Stabenow, chairwoman Senate Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition and Forestry, said earlier this week.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/06 ... z2ViahkbDq
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
RangerX
Ranger

Re: Concerns over Chinese acquisition of Smithfield Farms

Post by RangerX »

Yeah, because the government cracks down so hard on American companies that have shitty food safety records or sell us crap devoid of nutrition.

While the economic battles with China are real, I'd say we are better served addressing the bogeymen here on the home front first...
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

RangerX wrote:Yeah, because the government cracks down so hard on American companies that have shitty food safety records or sell us crap devoid of nutrition.

While the economic battles with China are real, I'd say we are better served addressing the bogeymen here on the home front first...
Concure!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

Reality check... the government does not do safety inspections of food... well, not enough to really matter. Whenever you hear some politician ass clown say that we need to have the FDA because without it our food would not be inspected... he is full of shit. He knows it, but he is gambling that you do not.

The FDA only checks out about 9% of all the food processing facilities in the US. Out of those it is mainly looking at paperwork, and not looking at the food. In reality, with the current government, they are probably just out inspecting companies that the administration doesn't like. I imagine Chick-fil-a is getting its share.

So... who inspects food? It does get inspected, just not by the government. Private organizations inspect it. Businesses do not want to have their food make people sick. It is bad business. So they hire inspectors to do it for them. Not the government.

In reality, they do a pretty good job. Look at the amount of food eaten each day by American citizens, and look at how many get sick due to food poisoning. Not bad at all.
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85

Return to “News, Politics, and Policy”